Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Realist,

I didn't realize the US was to conduct it's foriegn policy based on world opinion...tell me again,,,what country is it that does that and has a coherent foriegn policy??

And while you're at it...tell me again when world opinion was used to interpret the Laws of War?

• Simon
    Simon

Well, Yeru ... you should know about certain Conventions ... oh, I forgot - American soldiers aren't taught about the Geneva Convention (and need to be told that torturing and killing people is wrong it seems) ** based on their 'defense' that they were not taught this.

And yes, you do have to take into account world opinion IF you want some support in places like Iraq. Otherwise, you are on your own. Isolate the rest of the world all you want ... it's not us that will pay the price.

• Simon
    Simon
    Why do you insist on calling employees of a US Government Contractor "mercinaries"?

If they were employed by the government then they would be soldiers would they not? They were employees of a company hired by, well "whoever" (probably as a way of keeping 'real' troop numbers down) but they do not as far as I can tell answer to the government or to anyone but their employers.

I wonder what things **they** do that piss off the native population? Of course then the comeback is on the USA.

Mercenary: One who is hired; a hireling; especially, a soldier hired into foreign service.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

this is exactly the issue! you don't have to care about the world (and the US gov. obviously doesn'T anyway)! but for crying out loud stop pretending you do! stop pretending the US is trying to help the world when in fact the only thing the US (gov. of all times) cares about is helping its own leaders! (like any other country as well)

give up the freaking fassade of bringing freedom, peace and prosperity to the world and admit that its all about US profits.

all this is nothing but screaming hypocrasy! an outcry over iraq having WMDs but at the same time producing useable mini nukes. complaining about iraq invading kuwait, north korea taking over the south etc. but at the same time fighting one illegal war after the other and interferring with internal affairs of other countries whenever it fits US global strategies. killing millions of civilists with terror bombardments but complaining about when other states do the same thing (on a mini scale compared to what the US does). complaining about hussein killing the kurds for fighting against him but itself whiping out the indians and taking over half a continent. the list goes on and on.

*** this hypocritical bullshit and stand by your (US gov.'s) real principles (lets get even richer than we already are!)!

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

essentially we are all just dealing with hypotheses here. yours seem to be that bush is an honest guy.

nope, never said that....in fact ive said a thousand times that i believe all politicians to be dishonest. what i was implying was that i think he, like a lot of americans, is probably concerned and ashamed with the actions of his countrymen. this is a pretty normal feeling, and i dont know why you have such a hard time grasping it. that isnt to say hes not also concerned with the political backlash...what president wouldnt be? this is pretty simple stuff.

how is this tantamount to suggesting that no world leader in history has ever had a sincere concern for the treatment of others?

otherwise (evaluating on a "case by case" basis) you are dealing with your own personal bias (read: agenda). for you to presume to know exactly what someone is thinking is simply astounding.

but this does not mean that ghandi and a few others were actually philanthropists who had a vision of a better world.

im not touting bush as some great philianthropist, or saying that hes never concerned with his own good or political agendas....again, what president isnt? he doesnt have to be ghandi in order to be appalled that there are u.s. soldiers sodomizing iraqi prisoners with flashlights. your "hypothesis" is that bush has absolutely no heart and no concern for anyone on this planet other than himself......and no, that doesnt happen to be my "hypothesis".

aa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

Well, Yeru ... you should know about certain Conventions ... oh, I forgot - American soldiers aren't taught about the Geneva Convention (and need to be told that torturing and killing people is wrong it seems) ** based on their 'defense' that they were not taught this.

You've never once heard me say something so outrageous...US Soldiers ARE INDEED taught this from the first few days of Basic Training...M.P. units with the mission of guarding prisoners would have regular classes on this issue. So, their "defense" is B.S. and, assumming they are guilty (yes, I also believe innocent until proven guilty), these idiots should get the max...20 years at hard labor...no easy life that.

Realist,

If you believe HALF the nonsense you're spouting I feel sorry for anyone that knows you.

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

for you to presume to know exactly what someone is thinking is simply astounding.

i never claimed that!

otherwise (evaluating on a "case by case" basis) you are dealing with your own personal bias (read: agenda).

everyone has a personal bias. aside from that, there is an absolute truth out there and in my opinion some people are closer to it than others.

your "hypothesis" is that bush has absolutely no heart and no concern for anyone on this planet other than himself

again i never claimed that. you try to exaggerate things to make them sound illogical. what i do assume however is that he is more egoistic, cold hearted and power driven than most other people. otherwise he would most likely not be where he is.

considering this i find it hard to believe that he is more outraged over this than i (or most other people) am. sure he will not advocate it but if i were him my reaction would be: holy crap what have these idiots done! this can cost me the election! in a clear moment he perhaps feels real outrage about it (emotional changes happen in every person) but i find it very hard to believe that this would cause him and his advisors to give a speech about it.

yeru,

If you believe HALF the nonsense you're spouting I feel sorry for anyone that knows you.

you cannot disprove a word i say so you refer to insults.

fine i am done with you and all these discussions. they take too much time away from important things anyway.

you and your likes cause millions of death but you accuse me of supporting terrorism and murder. go to iraq and get what you deserve you stupid fool.

• Simon
    Simon
    You've never once heard me say something so outrageous...US Soldiers ARE INDEED taught this from the first few days of Basic Training...M.P. units with the mission of guarding prisoners would have regular classes on this issue. So, their "defense" is B.S. and, assumming they are guilty (yes, I also believe innocent until proven guilty), these idiots should get the max...20 years at hard labor...no easy life that

That's good to hear.

One other thing I'd like you opinion on: The Red Cross say they alerted people about this some time ago and some General or chief of something or other (was on the radio) said he knew about it in January and the President knew about it then too.

If this is true, should he be impeached? Isn't this more serious than "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"? He will have blatently lied to the US people as he claims to not have know anything before the pictures being released.

What do people think the likelyhood, now that the neo-cons are turning on each other, that Rumsfeld will be made accountable and take the fall but maybe write a book (after his careeer is finished) and take Bush down with him?

Just thinking out loud here ...

• dubla
    dubla
    some General or chief of something or other (was on the radio) said he knew about it in January and the President knew about it then too.

very concerning.

aa

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

WHOSE GOING TO APOGIZE AND DO 20 YEARS OF HARD LABOR FOR SEPTEMBER 11?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit