Wasn't Saddam ousted for doing precisely this sort of thing?

by Simon 398 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

bush is hardly condoning this type of activity

the essential questions are: what is bushs primary motive? why is he really so concerned?

a) because he cares about the iraqis for ethical reasons

OR

b) because of the opinion polls in the US

OR

c) both.

i strongly suspect b) to be the right answer.

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

it appears you believe yourself to have an amazing ability to look inside of someones heart and discern whether or not they have actual care for the well being and treatment of others. i do not pretend to have such abilities.

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

these people were not my enemies and i did not fight a war against them...yet i am not deeply concerned with what happened to them. i personally do not know anyone (and i work with people from all around the world) who shed a tear about what happened. sure everyone says its terrible what happened and AHA the americans are not better than the rest of the world. but no one is truly heartbroken or cannot sleep out of concern for the iraqis.

so unless bush is an especially sensitive person i don't buy his BS.

by the way, how many hours of sleep did you loose out of concern for the victims? i suspect 0. please correct me if i am wrong.

• dubla
    dubla

realist-

but no one is truly heartbroken or cannot sleep out of concern for the iraqis.

so unless bush is an especially sensitive person i don't buy his BS.

when did bush say he was "heartbroken" or that he "couldnt sleep" over it? is he is concerned about our soldiers treating people the correct way? you do not think so, i am not as presumptuous as you. to suggest he is not is tantamount to suggesting every concerned word from every world leader in history is 100% politically motivated. does politics enter into most decisions? yes. is every action 100% about public face? apparently you think so....again, i am not going to attempt to read minds or hearts.

by the way, how many hours of sleep did you loose out of concern for the victims?

the same amount of sleep ive lost over our soldiers that were drug through the streets of iraq.....yes, zero. perhaps i am a monster? that doesnt mean i am not ashamed of the way our countrymen handled this situation, nor does it mean i do not believe these acts to be horrific. can you see the difference?

aa

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Realist,

I for one lost zero sleep for the "victims". I've had worse outrages to my dignity done than these people suffered through. I've had a lot of righteous and indignant anger directed towards the soldiers who did this though...and while not lossing sleep over that either, because I trust in the process to punish these idiots, I am concerned.

Realist,

How much sleep did you lose over the real torture and indignities inflicted on the four americans last seen hanging from a bridge in iraq. Your priorities are QUITE skewed IMHO.

• shamus
    shamus

Holy crap. I read this whole page and now I have a headache... there's more drama goin' on in this thread than the season finale of Friends, LOL!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Yeru,

Having watched Canada go through the Somlia incident and the subsequent inquiries and courtmarshals, I tend to agree with your position on this.

Learning accountablity and freedom are very important for the Iraqis. Watching how the US deals with this ... may it be at the political as well as in the Courts ... should show exactly how a free society with a proper rule of law will help protect them.

• Simon
    Simon
    That you continuously try to compare the US to the Saddam Regime, or other bad, ugly evil people is sad and unjustified

No, I am not doing that. However, do you fear putting them side by side? Shouldn't you welcome a comparison? Shouldn't they pass with flying colors and not have so many similarities?

I am always going to have more sympathy for the innocent victims - the ordinary people who get caught up in things and have no option than people who volunteered and are paid to be there (ie, the merceneries who were killed).

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

didn't bush say he is outraged over this?

if i were bush my reaction would be: holy crap what did these idiots do! this could cost me the reelection!

if i judge from myself (and i assume bush is not more sensitive than me) than he surly was outraged but not about the ethical issue but about the media effect this has.

yeru,

How much sleep did you lose over the real torture and indignities inflicted on the four americans last seen hanging from a bridge in iraq.

you mean real torture versus non real torture?

to answer your question ...i did not loose sleep over either incident.

• dubla
    dubla
    That you continuously try to compare the US to the Saddam Regime, or other bad, ugly evil people is sad and unjustified

No, I am not doing that.

in that case, perhaps the title of the thread should be changes, as it is very misleading. i too believed simon was comparing the two.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit