Position on College Changed?

by Maximus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

I remember when I was still in high school (back in 1986). We were attending a small congregation. There was an elder who allowed his son to attend college. There was alot of bad talk about this elder and soon after he was deleted.
    I too agree that the reason why the Society has kind of let up on this is because there is a whole generation of uneducated who scrub toilets for a living barely scraping by themselves and they don't have much to donate if any. And who will they have to fight their legal battles for free, the brother who is a janitor?
    I get kind of jealous when I see younger brothers and sisters going to college when we were highly discouraged to attend. I guess I can take some courses when my kids get a little older.

"plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers." -Veronica A. Shoffstall

• Maximus
    Maximus

::I too agree that the reason why the Society has kind of let up on this is because there is a whole generation of uneducated who scrub toilets for a living barely scraping by themselves and they don't have much to donate if any

The Society has kind of let up on this????

I'm not sure I understand you, perhaps because I was not clear. The pragmatists UNDERSTAND but they don't or won't or can't do anything about it. If they go against this firm policy, they themselves become suspect. As teegay notes, this is not very satisfying, and the source of grumbling and internal conflict.

The Society has not let up. The kid winds up in agreement, saying he's going to "pursue a course in life that will serve him or her well in achieving theocratic goals to advance Kingdom interests," not his own.

Think about it. That Service Meeting is pure code language. Control.

MoJoJoJo, go for that education. You deserve it.

M

• teejay
    teejay

sorry, Maximus for taking your topic off on a tangent for a minute,
    but Joel!!? Your twenty-fifth high school reunion is this year.
    Mine is in August. Are you going to yours? I can't wait for mine.
    So many apologies to make....

peace,
    todd

• teejay
    teejay

Thank you, Maximus, for your deep insight and background to shed
    light on behind-the-scenes events. I feel good about that CO who
    was willing to pay the price for his children. I feel very happy
    and satisfied deep down for them. I wish that I'd had... oh,
    nevermind.

Surely the younger heavies, those who aren't insulated, those who
    attend the meetings with regular publishers, surely they know that
    continuing to push this "ban" on "higher education" is becoming
    more and more untenable. Are their any in Brooklyn, even on the
    horizon, who have both the insight AND the position to effect some
    sort of reasonable change?

Thanks.

peace,
    todd

p.s. I once looked especially for when you'd post on the old
    H2O, but your posts seemed few and far between. Is it me or are
    you participating more and more here? "Mr. Mayor" in Spike Lee's
    Do the Right Thing said: "those that tell, don't know.
    those that know, don't tell." I am glad that you are here, that
    there are those who both know and tell. Thank you very much.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

OK! I want to tell a story,
    Not being the most compliant on matters such as this I caught flack back in 1985 when I decided to send my wife to Baylor College of Medicine. Although I was the PO the elders disapproved and wanted to meet with me. We met with our assortment of Watchtower Articles, theirs on the evil and futility of higher education. I brought a few articles on conscience and Christian freedom. A sample is

Quote: “If there is no actual violation of the Scriptures and if moderation is shown by shunning extremes or involvements with worldly wrongdoing, then these matters of daily living do not come within the area where we should be judged by our brothers.—Compare Proverbs 11:2.
    w78 3/15 18 Adorn the Teaching of God in All Things

The outcome of the meeting was I would be left alone. My opponents summarized:
    “So what this boils down to is, what you are doing is wrong, but we don’t have the authorization to stop you.” Needless to say I disagreed and sent my wife to school. I have been such a BAD example.
    I really feel for you who are my age and have missed opportunities to advance your education. What about your retirement. That’s another issue, for another time.
    Jst2laws

• teejay
    teejay

Just2,

Have you read Crisis of Conscience?

• Maximus
    Maximus

How ironic. Your wife wanted to become a physician, a profession considered among the most noble. Get this:

In this same June km, the 'Bethel applicants needed' insert says:

"Additionally, some brothers and sisters who may be a little older than 35 and who have specialized skills and training that could be used at Bethel are encouraged to apply. For example, these include dentists, doctors, .... However, we do not encourage individuals to obtain specialized education or training with the thought that this will improve their chances of being called into Bethel Those who have already received specialized training, PERHAPS BEFORE COMING INTO THE TRUTH, may wish to write out a detailed resume and attach it to the Bethel application."--P. 4.

Think about it.

Welcome to Orwell world.

Maximus
    Teejay, I'll get back to you. Father's Day. As JT says,
    smile

• teejay
    teejay

"Additionally, some brothers and sisters who may be a little older
    than 35 and who have specialized skills and training that could be
    used at Bethel are encouraged to apply. For example, these include
    dentists, doctors, .... However, we do not encourage individuals to
    obtain specialized education or training with the thought that this will
    improve their chances of being called into Bethel
    . Those who have
    already received specialized training, PERHAPS BEFORE COMING INTO
    THE TRUTH
    , may wish to write out a detailed resume and attach it to
    the Bethel application."--P. 4.
    (emphasis mine)

There is so much stupidity in that single quote that it boggles the mind.

I wonder if a JW who goes to school, becomes a medical professional
    of the type the Society needs -- I wonder if they would be accepted. Or
    accept them after a good tongue lashing.

Imagine actually wanting to go serve at Bethel, getting an interview, and
    then getting a tongue lashing for having gone against the Society to get a
    medical degree? I can just see something stupid like that happening.

btw, Maximus and all you proud dad's out there...

Happy Father's Day!!

I know that, of my little one, I'm prouder than a mutha. :-)
  • waiting
    waiting

Hey Max,

Many a discussion has been held on why my child should not go to college - but isn't it great about all the lawyers, etc., that are in the WTBTS. That way, we don't need to go outside for advice, help. We have our own.

How do we get our own? They come in with previous education. We don't educate our own. We just use others.

Remember all the flack about Fred Franz being a Rhodes Scholar (scam, I know now)? How we had the most intelligent and educated leaders! We've been before the Supreme Court more than any other group - with our own lawyers!

Double-talk, double-think, and so hurtful to ourselves and our children. And jw's think it's so logical and it's so braindead.

waiting

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Maximus,
    I still beg to differ. I do feel that the Society has bent a little on the higher education thing. Notice the WT Nov 1, 1992 it says"The general trend in many lands is that the level of schooling required to earn decent wages is now higher than it was a few years ago...It is difficult to find jobs with decent wages after completing simply the minimum schooling required by law...No hard-and-fast rules should be made either for or against extra education."
    That is a different tune than when I graduated high school.
    another article was in the WT 96 2/1

"plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers." -Veronica A. Shoffstall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit