by Maximus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight
    on its behalf."-- Blaise Pascal

M

• JT
    JT

If I attended college back when I graduated, which was about fourteen years ago my father would have been removed as an elder. Now there are brothers holding positions in the congregation who are attending college themselves

######

you are correct these type of actions are not usually used today

i know elders too who lost thier strips aand you are right

james

• JT
    JT

black man

and pioneer. But then when I get to Bethel, peeps that hadn't pioneered for a day in their life (and had gone to college) had office jobs and I'm stuck cleanin' their crap outta the toilets.
    I don't know if this was the case with anybody else, but the "white" circuits in my area were a little more open-minded and didn't put as much pressure on kids to not go to college, while me being a black kid in a black circuit would've been crucified at the mere thought. College was equated with being spiritually weak. My circuit definitely took what the the FDS said in the Watchtower literally while outlying circuits in the area (Michigan) didn't take those words quite as literally. Interesting dynamics there.

######

same here the white bro were more open about it in my exp too
    but in the black congo - man it was law and you would be nailed to the cross

james

email me man we know some of the same folks at bethel

what yr were you in

james

[email protected]

• felix a
    felix a

Black Man,

If you grew up out in the Ann Arbor / Brighton area, it certainly became a little easier to go to college. Howell was a little to backwards or should I say a little more party line area. Though in the late 70's through the mid 80's it was tougher than now.

Drop me a note. Like JT said "We might know some of the same people". I figure between the house and having grown up out in Michigan we may have even met.

See Ya,

David P.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Just about everyone I grew up with in my circuit either have cleaning jobs, work in some type of construction or retail. There's alot of brothers in construction (alot of them "have the privilege" of helping on the two-day KH's).
    Please don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with these types of jobs, they are gainful employment but, for the most part, not very high-paying. And you don't need a college degree.
    My husband is also in construction and he works extremely hard trying to support our family.

PS I'm glad you all understand me now, I'll explain myself better next time.

"plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers." -Veronica A. Shoffstall

• Maximus
    Maximus

Let me explain MYSELF better. You did fine.

It's presented to the world that JWs have a choice when it comes to education. That's what the new Public Information office of the Society tells you.

You have a choice to take a transfusion. That's what they say, too. No one will coerce you. Your decision to make.

What they do NOT tell you, is the consequence, in each instance.

I just want to make it abundantly clear that it is extremely difficult for most youth to make a choice FREELY--IF they want to go to college--because of the consequences. The service meeting says you have a choice. But the youngster makes the RIGHT choice, in favor of 'theocratic goals advancing Kingdom interests.' We know what that code language means.

My firm belief is that to fully flourish and thrive as a human, we need the ability to think critically. One has a better chance to do that by going to college than not getting some higher education. You are absolutely right, it is certainly not necessary to attend college when it comes to income or the like. But how best to understand the richness of the world around us?

When we are ultimately in the nursing home staring at the ceiling tiles, what will sustain us??? I'm not speaking religiously, although obviously SOME sort of faith can be tremendously helpful.

For many, it's like the scene in the movie On the Waterfront, where Marlon Brando says to his brother, "I could have been a contender."

I hate hypocrisy with a purple passion. I've seen more than enough of it to last two lifetimes.

Maximus

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Attitude on this matter various enormously from congregation to congregation, and from area to area. I know of a couple of elders that are in college right now, and a whole bunch of younger people. I've also heard any number of parents say their kids are going to school no matter what. So far it's been no big deal aside from a few comments from one or two reactionary old fools that no one is paying much attention to. It'll be interesting to see if the KM parts make a difference.

• Maximus
    Maximus

If you stormed out this week, just wait.

M

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

What? was that comment meant for me?

Oh, I see - you were commenting on another thread, I think-

• Cautious
    Cautious

I agree Maximus, the hyprocacy of the WTS can be breathtaking. They say one thing, but their actions are at 180 degrees to it.

I was a good little witness, didn't finish high-school, took up cleaning offices, and eventually became a pioneer. Not because they actually came out and said "You can't get a higher education", but because of all the sledge-hammer hints I got over the years. They didn't come out and and say it, they just made sure you got the message in another way. They start a demonstrations which seems to be saying it is okay to go on to higher education, but by the end you KNOW that only "spiritually weak" ones follow that course.

Somehow, an educated female seemed to be harder for them to take than an educated male. That always got to me too .

Thanks for listening
    Cautious - who did get a degree eventually anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit