Position on College Changed?

by Maximus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Hey Teejay;

I remember the CO's name...I think he is now in Ontario...Not sure in what capacity..He was a great CO..Don't know if you remember when the baggier suits came out...Kinda flashy..I remember talking to my parents about getting one but was told they look too worldly. Next CA there was the CO with one of those suits...Got one shortly thereafter:)

His name was Clive Thomas..His wife's name escapes me at this time but I think it was Rosalind or something like that..Was in his late 30's tall and lean with mostly grey hair but very distinguished looking...

Worked out in service with them and we were covering our territory..I was making the call with his wife..Long drive-way and we had parked at the bottom..I knew the house and knew the people who lived there..Nasty towards JW's..Had a big German Sheppard which they kept on a leash close too their door...Walking up the drive the CO's wife came to a dead stop and then turned and walked back to the car...Followed her and when Clive asked her what happened she replied.."You must not put Jehovah to the test"..He turned red and didn't say a word...Just about killed myself trying to contain my laughter...

Anyways..I am not sure if any of you know him but I have to say I actually looked forwards to their visits to our cong..

Regards...

Wolfy

"Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said."
    -Mark Twain

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

How did the service meeting go in your neck of the woods?

Jerry

• Black Man
    Black Man

up.......

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

When I went to college in the mid-90's, I was personally taken to the library by the Service Overseer and told I shouldn't go off to college. You see, not only did I go to college, I lived on campus for 4 years, I was the first person at the meetings and the last one to leave all four years. I went out in service twice a week the whole time I was there.

You see, I wasn't going to allow myself to be the scarecrow the elders back home could point to and say, "Don't be like NotBlind, he went to college and then he quit the Trooth." Maybe more JW's back home will go to college, like I did, and buck the elders.

Of course, I never told them I learned the truth about the Trooth on the internet while in college.....

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

I was told that If I waited on Jehovah he would provide for me and to continue pioneering and not go to college. Guess what. Its been almost 4yrs and if I didnt go to college, Id still be waitng. LOL

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I commuted from home for two years and attended a university.

At first I majored in Computer Science, in order to "get employment and pioneer". This was right after everything changed about the education in 95.

Then I got majorly depressed - the hereditary chemical imbalances of my mind went haywire - and I dropped out of school and did landscaping and hotel work for a year. I learned quickly that you can't live on minimum wage! I recommend that everyone work a year for minimum wage. You'll be a social liberal in three months.

finally, a bit of anti-depressant later, I went back to school. I moved on campus, and had the time of my life. At first I was uber-Witness, preaching on campus and going to meetings three times a week. Man, that was weird, coming back to the dorm, with everyone in the parking lot staring at me in my suit. But I kept on, got my degree in English writing.

I guess I proved the Society right, however, when I fell in with immoral companionship. Ah, two lovely women and a case of beer, and my long-held virginity was a thing of the past, and good riddance! My taste for the menage-a-trois has never abated, either, heh heh heh...

Now I'm a bohemian, an actor, a writer, and a general hedonist. So I guess I did learn something at college after all.

CZAR

• LDH
    LDH

Elders that I know personally who discouraged their own children from going to college and then saw the light when their own children needed to go:

Jerry Thompson East Auburn, NY (Also discouraged me personally on SEVERAL occasions with the assistance of one Ken McCarthy) (He went to college in the mid 90s after the society softened their stance) Nice, huh?

Jim Seward Baldwinsville, NY (Well, technically, after he discouraged everyone from MY generation from going to college, he then sent his son Jimmy to a technical school to learn CAD.) Well, say, he's making sure *HIS* kid has a career, eh?

Jim Smith West Auburn, NY Heatedly discouraged myself and his daughter Tanya from going to college when we graduated high school in 1986. Now guess whose younger kid is in college? Tanya works for her dad's carpet cleaning business. I wonder how the anger doesn't eat her alive. Oh wait, what am I thinking? She's still in the "TROOF." Wait till she catches on.

Handy, huh?

Lisa

Not afraid of reprisals, Class

Edited by - LDH on 18 November 2002 15:12:19

• Buster
    Buster

The PO in my cong wrote a recommendation to college - and it was quite nice. None of the elders ever gave me any grief for going - and this was back in the late 70's.

• LDH
    LDH

Hmmm....where exactly *was* this imaginary congregation?

Certainly, you wouldn't mind posting the name of the kind elder who wrote you a recommendation to college?!?!?!

Lisa

• Buster
    Buster

Come now, Lisa. You wouldn't be questioning my truthfulness now would you? Love believes all things, you know.

In retrospect, it does seem quite out of place with the times. But it really happened. I can only guess that it was at least partially due to the fact that my dad was not a JW and neither he nor my mother finished high school. Getting me thru college had been a life's goal for them both.

So when I approached Prescott Adams PO Franklin MA congregation in the Fall of '76, he agreed and gave me the letter the next Thursday night.

Strange, but true,

- Cliff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit