Position on College Changed?

by Maximus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

When the Society made an apparent adjustment in their approach to 'higher education' in that Watchtower article, the wording gives the impression that this is a position we need to adopt because of world conditions. Never is there an admitting of responsibility for the fact that thousands of young people had been coerced into not continuing with their education. No, for it was "their personal decision". Like fun, it was!

And what of all those young folk, now mature in years, who handicapped themselves economically because of obeying the Society's rules?

A similar situation to all those guys imprisoned for refusing alternative service. Then, flash of new light, and it's now permitted! But what of the responsibilty that the Society has to those mothers deprived of sons whilst they were imprisoned? And what of the prisoners themselves? Who cares? Certainly not the publishers of the Watchtower magazine.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• joelbear
    joelbear

Lisa,

You and I had a similar experience. I had scholarship offers. My mom and dad never sat down with me and discussed nothing. My dad violently told me that if I went to college I would have to support myself. Now I sure wish I had taken him up on that threat, the shithead (profanity necessary for emphasis).

When I was pioneering he forced me to perform janitorial duties at his business for $15 a week. I cleaned it once a week. It took about 4 hours to clean.

When I went to Bethel I got an office job because I could type. I did spend one week on the plumbing crew and two more weeks picking blueberries at a brother's farm in Pennsylvania (my best 2 weeks of Bethel service). I was amazed at how many people there had gone to college and were working on computer programming and other higher skilled tasks.

Boggles my mind. Thankfully for me, things turned out pretty well although I am still frustrated that I am not more mentally challenged at work. A lot of it now is my own fault for not making better use of my time.

hugs

Joel

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

I have had a similar experience...I thought I would give you what happened to me...

I was a very serious young JW. I was made a MS at the age of 18. I grew up in a small congregation on the east coast of Canada.(I have since relocated). My father was an elder at our. He actually let me go to my Senior prom with a young sister in my hall..He got in alot of trouble for that one but I will always be grateful for it..:)

I was working two jobs (one as a janitor...I know...don't laugh :))
    I knew I did not want to do that the rest of my life but there was alot of pressure on me to go pioneering...It came mostly from the one's in the hall and my parents were urging me to go pioneering..I ended up going to Community College for a two year course in Accounting...Alot of people started talking...The elders were concerned about me...Anyways..It all came to a head when I had a part on the CA..You know..I gave my exerience and at the end I said that I would continue my witnessing efforts as I went to Community College...

Man..The shit hit the fan...I was called into a meeting with the DO..Just the two of us and he informed me that I should not have given that expeience as I was pursuing secondary education...Asked me if I was a MS...Just shook his head and said I was not allowed to give my exerience at the assmebly the following weekend..I was so angry...I heard he chewed out the CO and blamed him...(The CO was a very intelligent man who used to work as a writer or reporter for a newspaper)...

After that the pressure was unbearable...I said fine and quit..( I get so pissed off thinking about that now I almost start to shake)..I went regular aux and reg pioneering after that...Biggest mistake of my life..

I left after a couple years..(Two of the brothers that I used to go out in service with all the time were arrested for stealing)....

They had a going away party for me and one elder said...You will be back in 6 months...I told him not to count on it..Moved to Toronto and was not made an MS there as my hours were low..(I had 10 three months straight)..Said there wouldn't be an annoucement or anything..They lied..While I sat there in the hall they announced that I was no longer a MS....My buddy said I turned beet red and looked so angry..I was..I asked to speak to the PO after the meeting..I was very upset and all the reason he would give me is that I needed to go out in service more and they were concerned that I had quit pioneering..

My parents called me a few years later..My dad opened his own business and had to hire and accountant...The guy he hired was one of my class-mates..Charged $50 hour...My parents called me to apologize and that they felt really bad about what happened...

There is my experience..As for my kids..I am saving now and they will go to college or University and I couldn't give two shits what anyone says...

Thanks for reading...It helps when you vent a bit..

Wolfy

(I am a newbie ...IA and confused)

"Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said."
    -Mark Twain

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Copernicus quipped:

current crop of crap

Ahh, alliteration!

=)
    Reagan

"I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul."

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

A friend of mine who was a baptized JW went to college in the 1980's. His parents actually wanted him to go because they knew he was not the type that could do menial labor well and make a good living at it.

The deal his parents made with my friend was that he was to live at home work part time and go to college in the city. He also had to be regular in meeting attendance and field service, etc. Well, the local elders got wind of this young brother going to the University and decided to remove all of his privileges. They no longer allowed him to work the magazine counter, or the microphones, etc. In fact, one day he was the only brother to arrive at the meeting for field service and he was not allowed to lead the group out in service.

He and his parents complained to the CO but to no avail. In fact, the local body of elders sent a college educated elder (I believe this elder completed his degree *before* becoming a JW) with a degree in chemical engineering to his home to tell him about the evils of obtaining a college education.LOL...My friend said that the elder showed up in his luxury car wearing his rolex and even admitted that he would not be able to make this good a living if he had not gone to college.

My friend and his family could not take it anymore and eventually left for another congregation where the elder body their restored his privileges.

Jeff S.

• Black Man
    Black Man

I'm pushing this back up just because............

• Cautious
    Cautious

.......because it is something that many on this board feel strongly about?

.......because it is another of our lost youthful dreams?

.......because so many of us wanted to take our education further, but the WTS let us "know", without coming right out and saying it, that we couldn't?

.......because the hypocracy of them, sheltering behind the "we never actually said it" pose really gets to us?

Many have gone on to further education after leaving dubdom, but it is not easy. It is hard to go back to studying -family responsibilites, lack of time or resources can make it difficult or impossible. We know that it would have been easier to do it straight from school, IMHO.

Glad you bought this to the top again BM
    Its an important issue

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

......because it is the straw that will break the camel's back!

• Black Man
    Black Man

up...........

• teejay
    teejay

Wolfy (a newbie to the board but not in life) said:

It all came to a head when I had a part on the CA..You know..I gave my exerience and at the end I said that I would continue my witnessing efforts as I went to Community College...

Man..The shit hit the fan...I was called into a meeting with the DO..Just the two of us and he informed me that I should not have given that expeience as I was pursuing secondary education...

Asked me if I was a MS...Just shook his head and said I was not allowed to give my exerience at the assmebly the following weekend..I was so angry...

I heard he chewed out the CO and blamed him...The CO was a very intelligent man who used to work as a writer or reporter for a newspaper...

I wonder who that CO was. He had to know that he was going out on a flimsy limb to let Wolfy give his experience, at a Circuit Assembly no less where scores of young people were sure to hear it. I've had a part on a CA--they still rehearse them several times before the actual event, don't they?

People like that nameless CO make me wonder. I wonder how many true men like him are out there, taking a chance here and there, quietly going about their business, chipping away at the bricks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit