Position on College Changed?

by Maximus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• hybridous
    hybridous

Simon - if this could be deleted.....

• Moxy
    Moxy

the society's new views on higher education simply mean that the part will end with, 'yes, those graphic design courses that i could complete in one year will be the best way for me to get employment that will help me pioneer.' rather than having the youth pioneer straight out of high school.

mox

• larc
    larc

This subject is as sad as any in the chronicles of Watchtower teachings. To rob the intelligent, talented young ones of the opportunity for a bright future is tragic.

Teejay, go for it. It is never too late to get a formal education. Lindy who is about your age is going for it. My good friend JAVA started when he was 40 and now has a master's degree. You see, the one thing you have is a thirst for knowledge. Plus, your mind was not an idle waste land all these years. You were learning all along the way. So, college will be a challenge, but some subjects will excite you and you will benefit more than the new high school grad who does not have the drive and the interests that you have.

Life is good outside the box that is the Watchtower.

• Maximus
    Maximus

For most exJWs, and many currently still inside, this is the single-most excruciating issue affecting them--not only income, but intellect and personal satisfaction.

It's about hypocrisy, however subtle.

How many times have you had persons tell you, "Show me, chapter and verse, where the Society says it is not in favor of higher education. That's another lie apostates have made up." The whole district convention this year would have outsiders think it's all about education.

A poster above says the service meeting outline is purposefully vague. Of course it is. The Society can point back years from now and say it was your decision to make. But read it carefully. You've heard it all before.

It's about control, isn't it.

::What I'd like to know is does the Society really expect the r/f to swallow
    the direction to forsake a college education in this day and age? Has
    there been no real growth in understanding over this issue?

Yes they do, and no there has not been. That's the ugly fact, no matter how much poking our heads in the sand. Go for it, teejay.

Maximus

• joelbear
    joelbear

The education position of the Watchtower is the one that has most negatively affected my life. I had to choose between my friends and college. I also had to deal with what emotional impact my going to college would have on my mother, who was frail emotionally to begin with.

Like TeeJay, I graduated in 1976. I had several scholarship offers that I did not pursue. I also started back to school last year. I did get an Associates Degree when I was in my 20's and that allowed me to progress my career to the point I am comfortable, but still not doing what I want to do in life.

I think they softened up on the college issue to quell dissatisfaction with the 1975 issue. This new crop of kids is unaffected by that and its time for them to crack down again. I find it interesting how this differs from congo to congo and from witness to witness when it is so clear what the society's take is on it.

If it is so dangerous, shouldn't it be a disfellowshipping offense or at least a public reproval? Certainly, scripturally it can be proven that studying philosophy or evolution is just as apostate as anything else. We could disfellowship all college students for apostacy.

hugs

Joel

• Cautious
    Cautious

Thanks for the post Maximum - I don't think there are many posters who would not feel some regret about this.

teejay you wrote

Although I finally enrolled in school last summer, it will be years before I get a degree since I have so many other obligations, and the degree is likely to do me no good. But hey, learning is fun, and I love the classroom environment
    I also went back to study and eventually got a degree. It doesn't do me that much good, I'd make more money doing what I did before. But the journey of learning is wonderful just for its own sake. One thing the Borg did teach that I found helpful was the ability to study. Like the others, I say go for it, it is really worth it.

Cautious

• JWD
    JWD

The Japanese June Kingdom Ministry had the same insert and the same
    article about higher education. Sounds like they need more free
    labor to insure Jehovah`s continued blessing... JWD

• Maximus
    Maximus

For me it isn't a question of their policy and whether it is carried out exactingly or totally ignored.

But the Society takes the public position they are not negative on higher education. And many gullible newer ones tell you this policy is not in The Watchtower. Well, here it is.

That's hypocrisy.

Maximus

• teejay
    teejay

But the Society takes the public position they are not negative on higher
    education. And many gullible newer ones tell you this policy is not in The
    Watchtower. Well, here it is.

Good morning, Maximus,

You obviously are well connected to Brooklyn, or it seems that way to me.

In private discussions with the heavies, do they support the dichotomy of
    the Society's official, PR position ("go ahead, go to college -- it's up to you")
    while knowing what the GB's real, unspoken position is (going to college is
    a waste of time -- you'd be so much better off pioneering full time or coming
    to Bethel)?

How do they, the heavies, personally resolve the matter? It would seem to
    provoke a whole lot of grumbling and dissatisfaction.

If they have school age children, what direction are they giving their own
    children, and if it's toward college, is their congregational fall-out?

• Maximus
    Maximus

The hard-liners at Bethel absolutely support the position in the km Service Meeting cited. They have no younger children to be concerned about anyway. Others are totally insulated, and any feedback they get says, "This is just what we need."

Others are very pragmatic and understand the dilemma: a goal of all institutions of "higher education" is to develop the student's own abilities to think critically, and when that skill is exercised the young person has eyes wide open to flaws in doctrine and organizational philosophy. Sometimes the pendulum swings to a disillusioned atheism, with others there is a pursuit of other forms of spirituality. With some there is a relentless pursuit of what is really taught, say, in theological seminaries, who find out that the choice is not the false choice between a narrow fundamentalism or atheism but something far more satisfying.

The pragmatists clearly understand they must be less hierarchical for a number of reasons, if nothing more than legal protection.

I know at least one CO who left the road to have children, then when they got to the crucial age just dropped all pretense and sent all of them off to college. Paid a huge price, because the locals were very rigid. The congregational fall-out was severe, led to a witchhunt to get something on the guy. 'Must be doing something bad secretly to violate the Society's policy.' It was sick. The kids are not JWs today, but deeply spiritual. The family is very, very close.

I've talked to a lot of older COs who today are privately very bitter. One is having a real crisis with depression as the direct result, he feels, of not paying attention to the cognitive dissonance and just ignoring it. 'I stood up on that platform and said things I did not believe but did it because I was so very trapped.'

Alcohol abuse is a real problem both on the road and at Bethel. Guess why?

When you get a Service Meeting like this, hard-liners rejoice. But let me tell you the Society has a huge problem on its hands because of this attitude. MANY men on the road will take a look at stuff like this and say, "You told me things were going to get better. I deal with stuff like this every week, and you give me three weeks of unreal demonstrations and unreal approaches, yet tell me it's really up to the individual. And then you expect me to pick up the pieces when numbers fall off, bringing my butt into a refresher course and telling me it's all my fault!'

This battle has been going on internally for years. A few more liberal phrases or articles can be sprinkled on some publication, but all it takes is one hard-line piece to push the publisher guilt button. That's where the subtle control mechanism kicks in.

Hope springs eternal, for some. But that number dwindles.

Maximus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit