Another Elder is toast

by jst2laws 64 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

JST2LAWS is TOAST!

After 29 years I am officially no longer serving as an elder. Those who knew I was still serving would only be surprised that I took so long. I have been walking a tight rope of conscience far too long. About 5 years ago I resigned as Presiding Overseer but continued to serve as an elder. For about 3 years I have been evading service meeting assignments that I could not in good conscience handle. The last 9 months I have given every part assigned to me but gave it my way neglecting the garbage and teaching the truth relevant to the theme. My public talks have been either praised or challenged. As talk coordinator for the congregation I quit assigning myself out to avoid controversy.

In the last three years I have taken two CO’s in the back room to counsel them about their unchrist-like behavior. Starting about a year ago the ‘fit hit the san’ over conscience matters and recently I discerned my only option was to fake injury before the umpires threw me out of the game. It’s final now, “no longer serving” (at least a bit better than “Deleted”) after 10 years in the full-time work, 6 at Bethel, 17 as a presiding overseer, with a variety of circuit and district responsibilities. The official notice came without even mentioning the charges in my scathing resignation letter, lacking any “thanks for your 35 years of dedication and sacrifice”, sealed with the cold and indifferent red rubber stamp.

As indifferent as the WT response has been I’m not bitter nor sad. I will admit I am angry, with myself, for suppressing doubts for 25 years; for confusing loyalty to an organization (definition = unwavering obedience to a divine club) and for raising my children under the cloud of this cult mentality. As for my children, at least our family study for 2 decades has been reading the Bible together instead of reading the Watchtower. This has been good for us.

So now I am free of leadership in something I cannot even follow, but I have only resigned as a servant in the Borg. You will probably agree I have a long ways to go to freedom. Perhaps this is the beginning, especially knowing at least 2 if not half a dozen publishers in my congregation are online, at sights that probably include this one. This post may well expose my family. (One sister is upset since reading "Paying Attention To the Flock" online. Thanks Jan and Kent and anyone else involved) After decades of postponement it is happening fast as if to catch up.

If any doubting Witness is reading this, your doubts are not something of which to be ashamed. Scriptural faith is only to be in God and the ransom of Jesus Christ. Doubts about men and their leadership is not just normal but scriptural and commendable. Believe only God who tells you in Psalms 146 :3 do “Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.” I am personally aquatinted with the members of the GB. They are not God, they are “earthly man”. Accept your personal responsibility to learn and stand before God, “4 To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.” Romans 14:3-4

Your friend Jst2laws

• teejay
    teejay

Just2,

My thoughts are with you. It will be interesting to follow
    you as things develop. I wonder:

How did the COs respond to your dressing down?

and,

Would you care to share with us a copy of your "scathing
    resignation letter"?

peace to you and your family,
    todd

• Simon
    Simon

well done jst2laws, it must be very difficult being in the position you were in. I can only imaging - it was hard enough as 'just' a publisher [:}]

Hope everthing goes well and gets better. Our life is much better now and improving all the time.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Jst2Laws: I greatly enjoyed your post. While time frames are different, our experiences have a lot in common.

How about your children? Are they still JWs? I imagine they likely are. Is there any hope of helping them out? If you have not read it already, I have published my story on how I helped my family out of the organization.

I started to help them just before I resigned, and continued to afterwards for a few months, and then when I thought they were ready, I told them of my decision. It was scary, but I did this privately with each one, one on one, and they each chose to leave the organization. If you wish, you can retreive my story at Freeminds.org. When you go the the web site there, scroll down the right side until you get to the star bullet 'Letting your kids make their own decision.' At least that is how I think Randy Watters labeled it.

When you click on that line or bullet, the actual title of the article is How I helped my Family Leave Jehovah's Witnesses. Maybe there will be some useful thoughts there that you can adapt if possible.

Thanks again for sharing your recent experience in resigning. The wheels of justice will be turning soon, so get ready for the ride of your life. Document everything, as it will make a good story in the future. - Amazing

• Maximus
    Maximus

My heart goes out to you! I know many, many just such as you who are just about to take the plunge, many with several decades' service.

The emotions will whirl for awhile, but the exhilarating joy of freedom will prevail. Take some deep breaths, and enjoy your new life.

Warmest,
    Maximus

• beroea
    beroea

Dear JST2LAWS

You have showed courage to stop. I’m still in and serve as elder in Europe, but waiting for the right moment and the right explanation of why to “step down”.

You’re not facing an easy time I think, but keep up your faith and take good care of your conscience and above all your family.

One question. How did you say you want to step down? Which explanation did you gave the body of elders. Did you tell them the true of just at little bite?

Try to give you self the time needed. Don’t let others bring you in a bad situation you are unable to control. If you don’t take a lot of care you could easy end in a situation of DF and be forced to write a DA letter. So be careful out there. Some will look about a little mistake or a wrong word. Try to control the speed and decisions.

Wish you the best luck.

Beroea

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello jst2laws and thank you for your posting about your decision.

May you have the satisfaction that rightly belongs to all courageous persons. And may more elders and others under the sway of the WTBTS also come to know courage as you have.

I have read a number of reports of JWs, including elders, disassociating themselves by announcing it (without warning, of course) from the platform. That must be a sight to see! It's only fair as the WTBTS has no problem humiliating others publicly; let the Society have a taste of its own medicine.

There was also a report of a speaker at a district convention disassociating himself from the platform. That would be one great video to put on the web, that's for sure.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Welcome to the unwashed, drug doing, promiscous, chicken killing apostates.

Congradulations and remember, you are not alone.

Slipnslidemaster: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Jst2laws:

I am so glad for you. I have been following your comments of late where you have expressed you felt this step was only a matter of time. Obviously I've never been an elder, but I can imagine how difficult it must have been to keep from blurting out from the platform "now here's the 'real truth' about that subject."

The way they announce a resigning or deletion of an elder has always been such a sore spot with me. To dismiss so many years of faithful service in a position of elder or ms with just a short, and even curt sounding, "Bro.So-and-so is not longer an elder", just seems insulting and demeaning and almost sounds like there is something wrong with the brother.

I always went over to the brother and expressed my displeasure with how uncaring the announcement was and thanked him for all his hardwork and service to the cong. in his position. One brother who resigned as elder replied to me that he agreed and always felt like he wanted to add that to any announcement he had to make of a brother.

I'm sure with the kind of insight and wisdom you have shown here in your posts, you will be able to help you family see the real picture of the org. and to make the right decisions.

Amazing's story on freeminds site about how he helped his children make their own decisions about the "truth", is very helpful and I've suggested it several times to others here too.

Looking forward on your updates to us.

Had Enough

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Teejay

Thanks for the thoughts.
    “How did the COs respond to your dressing down? and, Would you care to share with us a copy of your "scathing resignation letter"?

The first CO was caught in slander. He apologized, probably only to save his skin (career). The second was even more reprehensible but not smart enough to know he was in trouble. This one I exposed, but in connection with my own resignation. We know my resignation was not just because he was a liar and a farce but because I could no longer play the this organizational game. The Society’s response was absolute silence, probably as a result of collusion between him and his employers. It matters little to me because I have learned to save my energy for issues WORTH fight for. There is nothing regarding serving in this organization I will fight for. PEOPLE, whatever way I can, are worth fight for. The difficult part is finding a way to reach them.

As to sharing a copy of my resignation letter, unfortunately it is only of interest to the mousy CO and his mindless defenders, and may cause premature exposure of my sympathizers. When I and my immediate family are totally free, I will share. Meanwhile, thanks for your support.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit