Does Jesus being the "Son of God" mean that he is not God by nature ?

by hooberus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

Herk, Once again you use misleading illustrations which misrepresent what others believe. Trinitarians do not believe "that a human could become equal to God." We do not believe that Jesus was a man who "became equal to God," but instead that Jesus (who always existed eternally as God) took upon a human nature at the time of the incarnation.

I for one am tired of your misleading illustrations of what we believe. You repeatedly post illustrations many of which show ignorance of trinitarian beliefs, by presenting a false concept of trinitarian views.

• herk
    herk

hooberus,

You should call yourself "humourous."

All my life Trinitarians have used Isaiah 9:5 to show me that the "child born unto us" became not merely "Mighty God," but "Almighty God." Some have, in sincerity, relished telling the following story:

An Irish man talking with his Jewish friend: ?Saul did you hear the great news? My son Patty has become a priest!?

?No, so what?s the big deal about that, John?? Saul asked.

?It?s a very big deal, Saul. As a priest he can one day become a Bishop!? John responded.

?So what?s the big deal about that?? Saul again asked.

?Saul, as Bishop, Patty can one day become a Cardinal. Imagine my son the Cardinal!? John was getting excited now.

?No?, Saul repeated, ?but what?s the big deal about that, John??.

John sputtered out, ? Saul, my friend, as Cardinal, Patty can be...Oh, be still my heart?he can become Pope!!?

And Saul again asks, ?So now, what?s the big deal about that, John??

Now impatient, John demands, ?So what do you expect, for him to become God!?

Almost triumphantly, Saul says, ?And why not, one of our boys made it!?

Various works of Trinitarian theology describe how a human became God under articles or chapters on "Becoming Like God," "Deification," "Divinization," "Formula Concordi," "Hypostasis," "Ousia," "Regeneration," "Theosis," and "Trinity."

The following statements appear in random orthodox publications:

• Through the resurrection of Jesus, His humanity was generated, or begotten, in divinity: Man became God; His humanity became divine.
    • The terminology of deification which is employed by Eastern Fathers is borrowed from the Platonic tradition, while the doctrine itself has biblical roots.
    • Thus through a divine-human encounter, God became man and man became God.
    • We find the idea of the deification of the human person the incarnate Word of God as early as in Irenaeus. According to him, the Word ?became what we are in order to make us what He is?. ?The Word (became) man?, says Irenaeus, ?and the Son of God (became) son of man so that man... might become a son of God?. In other words, through the Incarnation of the Word, the human person becomes by adoption what the Son of God is by nature. This theme was developed by Clement and Origen. In the fourth century it found particular attention on the part of Nicene theologians in their polemic with Arianism. St Athanasius made the formula of Irenaeus even more concise: ?God became man in order that we may become gods?.
    • Thus God became Man and Man became God in one Person. That Jehovah God became Man, and Man became God in one Person, follows as a conclusion from all the preceding propositions of this chapter, especially from these two: that Jehovah the Creator of the universe descended and assumed a Human that He might redeem and save men, and that the Lord by the acts of redemption united Himself to the Father, and the Father united Himself to Him, thus reciprocally and mutually. From that reciprocal union it is very evident that God became Man and Man became God in one Person; and from the union of the two as being a union like that of soul and body, the same conclusion follows. That this is in accordance with the faith of the church at this day, as derived from the Athanasian Creed, may be seen above; that it is also in accordance with the faith of the Evangelical churches may be seen in that chief of their orthodox books, called the Formula Concordi where it is firmly established, both from Sacred Scripture and from the Fathers, as also by rational arguments, that the human nature of Christ was exalted to Divine majesty, omnipotence and omnipresence, and that in Christ Man is God, and God is Man.

So my illustrations are not misleading in the least. Your vehemence illustrates how uninformed the average Trinitarian is concerning his own stated beliefs.

"I for one am tired of your misleading [verbal] illustrations" of what the Bible teaches.

herk

• herk
  • hooberus
    hooberus

Your illustration presents Eve, a person which was only a human, believing that she at a ceratin point in time could "become equal to God." Trinitarians do not believe that Jesus was only a human who after a time "became equal to God", but instead Trinitarians believe that Jesus always existed as God (before the incarnation), and at a certain point in time (the incarnation) became man (while remaining to be God.). Trinitarian doctrine is prefigured in a sense by places such as Genesis 18 where Jehovah (who exists as God from eternity) took on a human form (though not an incarnation, it demonstrates the concept). This is vastly different than a being who is only human (such as Eve) attempting to "become equal to God." Your illlustration is misleading.

As far as your "following statements appear in random orthodox publications:" I am not here to defend every sort of statement taken from from various unspecified contexts, by writers who are claimed to be trinitarian, just as I am sure that you are not here to defend every sort of statement taken from various contexts, by writers who are claimed to be unitarian.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    1 Chronicles 16:30 - Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

biblical proof that the end IS coming!

• hooberus
    hooberus

Herk said:

• Through the resurrection of Jesus, His humanity was generated, or begotten, in divinity: Man became God; His humanity became divine.
    • The terminology of deification which is employed by Eastern Fathers is borrowed from the Platonic tradition, while the doctrine itself has biblical roots.
    • We find the idea of the deification of the human person the incarnate Word of God as early as in Irenaeus. According to him, the Word ?became what we are in order to make us what He is?. ?The Word (became) man?, says Irenaeus, ?and the Son of God (became) son of man so that man... might become a son of God?. In other words, through the Incarnation of the Word, the human person becomes by adoption what the Son of God is by nature. This theme was developed by Clement and Origen. In the fourth century it found particular attention on the part of Nicene theologians in their polemic with Arianism. St Athanasius made the formula of Irenaeus even more concise: ?God became man in order that we may become gods?.
    • Thus God became Man and Man became God in one Person. That Jehovah God became Man, and Man became God in one Person, follows as a conclusion from all the preceding propositions of this chapter, especially from these two: that Jehovah the Creator of the universe descended and assumed a Human that He might redeem and save men, and that the Lord by the acts of redemption united Himself to the Father, and the Father united Himself to Him, thus reciprocally and mutually. From that reciprocal union it is very evident that God became Man and Man became God in one Person; and from the union of the two as being a union like that of soul and body, the same conclusion follows. That this is in accordance with the faith of the church at this day, as derived from the Athanasian Creed, may be seen above; that it is also in accordance with the faith of the Evangelical churches may be seen in that chief of their orthodox books, called the Formula Concordi where it is firmly established, both from Sacred Scripture and from the Fathers, as also by rational arguments, that the human nature of Christ was exalted to Divine majesty, omnipotence and omnipresence, and that in Christ Man is God, and God is Man.

Herk, I believe that I found the source of your last bullet point above:

http://www.theisticscience.org/books/tcr/sect-81ff.html

TCR 101. (7) Thus God became Man and Man became God in one Person. That Jehovah God became Man, and Man became God in one Person, follows as a conclusion from all the preceding propositions of this chapter, especially from these two: that Jehovah the Creator of the universe descended and assumed a Human that He might redeem and save men (n. 82-84), and that the Lord by the acts of redemption united Him. self to the Father, and the Father united Himself to Him, thus reciprocally and mutually (n. 97-100). From that reciprocal union it is very evident that God became Man and Man became God in one Person; and from the union of the two as being a union like that of soul and body, the same conclusion follows. That this is in accordance with the faith of the church at this day, as derived from the Athanasian Creed, may be seen above (n. 98); that it is also in accordance with the faith of the Evangelical churches may be seen in that chief of their orthodox books, called the Formula Concordiae, where it is firmly established, both from Sacred Scripture and from the Fathers, as also by rational arguments, that the human nature of Christ was exalted to Divine majesty, omnipotence and omnipresence, and that in Christ Man is God, and God is Man (see pp. 607, 765).

The source appears to be from section 101 of Emanuel Swedenborg's book "True Christian Religion"

http://www.theisticscience.org/books/tcr/index.htm

Do you really consider Emanuel Swedenborg's books to be "orthodox" trinity publications ?

• hooberus
    hooberus

Herk said:

Your first bullet point said:

The only place that I have so far found this quote is from a paper from:

http://www.affcrit.com/pdfs/1997/03/97_03_gl.pdf

This paper sites the work of a man named Witness Lee, and the above site on which the paper appears is linked to "Living Stream Ministry"

http://www.lsm.org/

Living Stream Ministry publishes the works of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee, providing the authoritative and definitive collections of treasures from these two servants of the Lord Jesus Christ. The writings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee focus on the enjoyment of the divine life, which all the believers possess, and on the building up of the church, the goal of God's work with man in this age.

Herk, where did you get your first bullet point from?

If you got it from a source affiliated with Witness Lee, do you thus consider writings affiliated with Witness Lee to be "orthodox" trinitarian publications?

• irishayes
    irishayes

Here's what confuses me about the "Jesus is not God" theory.

I have asked this question before and no one has answered. If God loved the world (us) so much, why would he have sent someone else to die for us? If Jesus died for our sins, and He did, then wouldn't that mean than He performed an act of love and sacrifice for us that is greater than God's? That would make Jesus greater than God, unless, of course, Jesus IS God.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    irishayes I have asked this question before and no one has answered. If God loved the world (us) so much, why would he have sent someone else to die for us? If Jesus died for our sins, and He did, then wouldn't that mean than He performed an act of love and sacrifice for us that is greater than God's?

yes. It was Jesus that asked his father to spare us so it was Jesus that made the sacrifice. I'm too tired to look for the scriptures that reference that but I'm more then confident someone on the board knows where they are.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    This is nuts!
    Trying to delete these quad posts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit