Does Jesus being the "Son of God" mean that he is not God by nature ?

by hooberus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• English Patient
    English Patient
    "Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM."

So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area."

(John 8:58)

How does that mean to say Jesus is God, or even Son of God?

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

"God replied, "I am who am." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you." God spoke further to Moses, "Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. "This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations." (Exodus 3: 14-15)

"I am who am: apparently this utterance is the source of the word Yahweh, the proper personal name of the God of Israel. It is commonly explained in reference to God as the absolute and necessary Being. It may be understood of God as the Source of all created beings. Out of reverence for this name, the term Adonai, "my Lord," was later used as a substitute. The word LORD in the present version represents this traditional usage. The word "Jehovah" arose from a false reading of this name as it is written in the current Hebrew text." (Ch 3 Footnote, NAB)

Jesus called himself by the divine name, why else would they pick up stones to throw at him?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

O Happy Day,

"For example, to which one of the angels did he ever say: 'You are my son; I, today, I have become your father'? And again: 'I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son'? Heb. 1:5

"But with refernce to which one of the angels has he ever said: 'Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet'? Heb. 1:13

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Kenneson,

The question in Hebrews is whether God "said" to any angel, "You are my son."

This does not negate the clear fact that angels are called "sons of God" in the Bible. Do a little reading and check it out.

Anointed Christians are also called "sons of God" and "sharers in divine nature." This does not make them God.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I don't believe he is god.

• Richie
    Richie

According to scripture, Jesus is "the first and the last" (Rev 1:17-18), the "first and the last" is "the Alpha and Omega" (Rev 22:13), and "the Alpha and the Omega" is God (Rev 1:8). In other words, Jesus = "the first and the last" = "the Alpha and the Omega" = God. How can this be if Jesus is not God?

Richie :*)

• Richie
    Richie

Jesus Christ is referred to as "Mighty God" in Isa 9:6 ("For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us... And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father..."). Jehovah God is referred to as "Mighty God" in Isa 10:20-21. How can this be if there is only ONE God? Jesus is also called the ?Eternal Father? in Isa 9:6. Since only God is eternal, that is, has no beginning and no end, how can this be if Christ is not God but was ?created? by God? If ?Mighty God? and ?Eternal Father? are only titles given to Christ, why would he be given any ?title? in scripture that did not accurately apply to him?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    What about the Watchtowers claim that the Son of God is an angel?

Technically so is God. What does the word angel mean to US as humans anyway.(if you take its basic meaning, not its rank and file meaning)

Jesus is also the word. Does this make him a word?

• Richie
    Richie

John 1:3 says that Jesus created " all things". What does the word ?all? mean to you? In Isa 44:24, God says that he "BY MYSELF? created the heavens and the earth and asks the question "Who was with me?" when the heavens and the earth were created. If what the WTS teaches about the nature of Christ is correct, how could God have been ?by myself? when the heavens and the earth were created if Christ had been created first? If Jesus had been created by God, wouldn?t he have been with God when everything else was created? Likewise, if Jesus was a created being, then according to Jn 1:3, Jesus would have had to create himself. How would that have been possible?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

John 1:3 says that Jesus created " all things". What does the word ?all? mean to you?
    It reads to me as all things as we know them. Not all things as in the universe or whatever else is out there beyond our knowledge

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit