Yes or No----Do You Believe That JWs Are A Cult?

by minimus 149 Replies latest jw friends

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

IMHO all religions are cults by some definitions but in varying degrees. JWs show cultlike characteristics, but many of their beliefs are just as valid as those of other widely accepted mainstream religions.

They may not have "one leader" but they are strictly lead by the people at the Watchtower society, whose rulings and teachings cannot be questioned or debated. In all fairness, you can't stick them in the same category as the moonies, or other groups where people are actually living in communes, etc.

As far as I can tell ... yes to cultlike. No to outright cult.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

When I first left, I would have said "no", but the more I found out in this past five years, the more I'd say "YES!"

Whenever we were told in FS, that the WTS/JWs were a cult, we were trained to say that Jesus Christ was our leader, not (a man) or men-------and of course I see THAT differently now!

Annie

• freedom96
    freedom96

Without question they are a cult. Cult doesn't mean it has to be small, or not accepted by society as a whole.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

"Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult!"

Gee, thanks Captain Obvious!!!

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Just kidding. YUP And they smell funny too!

• bebu
    bebu

No, they are merely a mafia-like"publishing company", like GaryBuss and Farkel have said.

Nothing more.

bebu

(OK, I'll be more clear: YES. But both Gary and Farkel are right still.)

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I think it's time for minimus to come out and attend an appostafest.

And your wife as well

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Very cultish overtones....................

Terri

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I rate them very high on most aspects of cultishness.

They may try to wheedle their way out of some aspects by saying things like they don't follow a single leader, but that doesn't carry much weight with me, as I see them as following their FDS in the same manner as other high control cults follow their Gurus.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, I believe they are a cult.

It is useful if each side in this discussion offers a definition of the word CULT that they feel the WTS does or does not meet. I find the definitions already offered by those who say the WTS is a cult to be satisfactory to me.

Also worth examining are the behaviors required and encouraged by the cult, like attending indoctrination sessions for 5 hours a week, and the consequence of failing to meet this expectation being that one is labeled as "spiritually weak" and is subject to "shepherding calls."

The WTS has published lists of the specific beliefs unque to the WTS that Jehovah's Witnesses are required to accept, and the penalty for not accepting these beliefs is the severest form of ostracism possible short of imprisonment or physical death. Making a public declaration of doubt about their "present truth" is condemned, even though their history demonstrates that any such "light" has a brief half life. Rejecting currently taught dogma is equated with rejecting the Word of God.

The organization itself takes the position of a "holy thing" in JW dogma. Rejecting the organization or the authority of the organization is equated with rejecting God.

Members of the JW cult are required to put their lives at risk and even surrender their lives for beliefs that most of them cannot articulate or understand completely.

Criminal behavior (pedophilia and abuse both physical and emotional) within the cult is tolerated and covered up by those in authority, and "whistleblowers" are punished.

Stupid and baseless beliefs are not sufficient to qualify a group as a cult. Controlling behavior does qualify them as a cult.

I think it could be argued that JWs DO follow a single leader - if you allow that this "leader" can be imaginary - the WTS has created an entity called "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" (note that it is a singular "slave", not plural slaves") and that is the sub-puppet that directs the teaching and activity of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit