Yes or No----Do You Believe That JWs Are A Cult?

by minimus 149 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

: still like Margaret Singer's breakdown of the elements of a cult.

:1. The cult is authoritarian in its power structure.

So is the WTS.

:2. The cult's leaders tend to be charismatic, determined, and domineering.

While the WT currently doesn't have any charismatic leaders, they had such for about 120 years from their inception. Even so, the current leaders are "determined, and domineering." Nothing has really changed in the religion since their last charismatic leader, Fred Franz died.

:3. The cult's leaders are self-appointed, messianic persons who claim to have a special mission in life.

Would "being the ONLY spokesmen in the world for God" work? Definitely. Would the fact that the elite leaders are the only ones who can choose new elite leaders work? Of course. Would printing billions of pieces of literature which claims to contain the only correct information necessary for salvation qualify as a "special mission?" Damn right, it would.

:4. The cult's leaders center the veneration of members upon themselves.

The GB handing out autographs in Cuba several years ago is a good example of that. Dubs don't make any important decisions in life unless they check to see if it's ok with "the Society." Score another point. We're 4 for 4 so far.

:5. The cult tends to be totalitarian in its control of the behavior of its members.

That's the WTS, alright. They've even lamented in print that they regret not being able to stone children who do bad things.

:6. The cult tends to have a double set of ethics.

Can anyone spell "UN/NGO?" Does anyone remember that Rutherford lived like royalty, while he demanded that his followers give up nearly all financial rewards in order to follow him. Knorr was chaufeured around in a Cadillac while demanding the same thing Rutherford did with his followers. They let innocent people die in Malawi, while hypocritcally allowing Mexicans to lie to obtain Military Cards. They demand that little children who are raped by adults MUST face their accusers. At the same time, when ex-dubs who were abused as children and other concerned people visited en-masse at their Brooklyn Headquarters to demand why the GB have issued policies to local congos which protect abusers and punish the abused little children, those bastards were too freakin' cowardly to face THEIR accusers and account for what THEY DID! Matt 23, you freakin' HYPOCRITES!

There's a lot more double standards, too, but the few I've mentioned should suffice.

:7. The cult has basically only two purposes, recruiting new members and fund-raising.

The Society prints books and sells them to their members. They've convinced their members to use those books to recruit new members or they will be subject to death and eternal damnation. THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE WATCHTWER RELIGION! Yep, they fit point 7 to a tee.

:8. The cult appears to be innovative and exclusive.

They "innovate" new doctrines all the time. Since they teach that the 99.9% of the World's population will be destroyed, and are told not to make friends with outsiders, they certainly "appear" exclusive.

Using the above criteria in order to determine whether a group is a cult, gives the WTS a 100% batting average. In fact, that is about the ONLY thing they've ever gotten right!

Farkel

• garybuss
    garybuss

Using the above criteria in order to determine whether a group is a cult, gives the WTS a 100% batting average. In fact, that is about the ONLY thing they've ever gotten right!

Farkel

Great job! Thanks! . . . . Any one else?

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Great posts-especially from Farkel....

My .02 worth...YES.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Yes they are dangerous

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Agreed with all who uneqivocally declared the JW's are a cult. You covered the major reasons. Plus, the one single cult trait that always sticks underscores their cult status in my mind is this: Cults claim to have the exclusive lock on the "truth." Their view of reality is the only right/true one. Since dubs call being in good JW standing as "being in the truth," that's pretty convincing that they are a cult.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Absolutely

• blondie
    blondie

I consider them a high-control group with room to improve.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

"The cult" sounds like whatever political party is in office! Some would say that just as G.W. Bush felt it was his destiny by God to become president and that everyone within his party were required to do whatever they were told.....I get it. The Republicans are a CULT!

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus,

: "The cult" sounds like whatever political party is in office! Some would say that just as G.W. Bush felt it was his destiny by God to become president and that everyone within his party were required to do whatever they were told.....I get it. The Republicans are a CULT!

: Some would say that just as G.W. Bush felt it was his destiny by God to become president...

Did he actually SAY this? If so, where?

I takes many things (not just oneor two) to make a group a cult by clinical definition, and GaryB cited an outline that was pretty rational and covered most of the bases. Only having ONE or even TWO of those traits does not a cult make by that definition.

Unless you can provide evidence that "Republicans" fit the majority of the traits on any respected outline of cult traits, your argument falls.

Unless you were joking, of course. If you were, it was a really bad joke.

Farkel

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Farkel,

You said:

They've even lamented in print that they regret not being able to stone children who do bad things.

I thought the statement from the WT was that they couldn't stone "bad" people--they didn't refer to children. Could you provide the reference?

Your definition, one of many, seem to me to fit the Catholic Church or any other strong dogmatic religion. I still don't think the WT is a cult. The problem is to agree on a definition. They certainly are not a cult to the degree of Moonies or Hare Krishnas.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit