Yes or No----Do You Believe That JWs Are A Cult?

by minimus 149 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

A year ago: Strong 'No"

Six months ago: "Probably"

Today: "Abso******lutely"

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Yes.

Axelspeed

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Lemme see...a group of very old, male only, hermit-like, prophecy spewing, oracle types who believe they get the real scoop from the big guy, delivered by the spiritual funnel in the sky, direct to their Watchtower-article writing hands...and they all live together in the top of a New York high-rise and demand complete adherence to their rules, including how you should make love to your partner.....NO WAY...sounds perfectly normal to me.

-BONEZZ

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

In the words of Valis "Well, Yah."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yes

I never would have thought that when I left. In fact I defended them but now I know too much about how they control, manipulate and use and abuse people to think they are anything less than a cult.

And for those of you who think that all religions are cults - most of them don't shun those who leave, or interrogate them to make sure they still believe. Most don't demand the high level of control over people's lives that the WTS demands.

• kat2u
    kat2u

yes Yes YES!!!!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Any group that is not ALLOWED to have differing views, not PERMITTED to speak to other members about different beliefs they may have developed, any group that is required to REPORT another member who has uttered dissenting beliefs, any group that almost literally hunts down members and carries on INVESTIGATIONS of possible lack of belief on their part, then threatens and ultimately punishes any member, sometimes for life, for daring to not agree with them, yes, I call that group a cult.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I don't know if I would consider them a cult, but they are definitely a mind controling group.

Devon

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I would say yes because of the amount of control the leadership has over its members. Excluding the basic things we all know such as meeting attendance, field service, reading of literture twisted in favor of the society's belief. Then there's the many things we dont realize that this cult does, breaking up of family's, a extensive vocabulary thats used by its members, behaivor that only witnesses do, a corporation that ownes billions of dollars in property worldwide distributing literture and products.

Its only a step below Scientology in my opion.

• Swan
    Swan

Yes, and the difference between a cult and a religion becomes clear when you consider how difficult it is to leave.

In my life I have left JWs and I have left a religion. The JWs were by far the hardest to divest myself of emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. After that abuse, I will never set foot in a KH again, not even for the funeral of a family member.

The religion I belonged to still sends me Christmas cards and an invitation to drop by and say hi once in a while. I still see some of the folks around town, and we stop and chat. Who knows, I may go back someday to see those good folks.

A very big difference.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit