What was your very first job ?

by xjw_b12 68 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

My first job was working for a pair of elders that owned a floor cleaning business. They did mostly SafeWays and others in the South Seattle area. I did a few day shifts that went OK, new construction. But only lasted one night during a regular night shift. I hated the hours.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My first REAL job (outside of babysitting) was as a sales clerk at a jewelry store owned by the worldly brother of an elder. It was for the "winter season" and I was hired to wrap gifts. Since it was all gold wrappers and bows (and not Christmas paper) my dad said I could do it.

I left that job for a job at a cookie store. I could eat whatever I wanted. I was there for about 6 months and ate cookies all the time! Took me years to look at a cookie and think it looked good. Just the smell of them would make me ill. LOL!

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I had a very lucrative babysitting business when I was 14. Good sitters are very hard to find, and I had tons of referrals. Didn't pay taxes either.

Then, my family moved.

I made friends with a girl whose family managed a resort hotel. So, my first taxpaying job was a hotel maid. Some people were unbelievable slobs. I have quite a few disgusting guest stories. Some days my "uniform" was a bikini because if we didn't have too much work to do that day, my girlfriend and I would go lay out by the pool as soon as we were done.

A toilet-scrubing bikini babe I was.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I worked for a brother who owned a bottled water business. He told me he'd pay me $6/hr to wash/fill bottles. Once I started he only paid me $4/hr. I was a good dub and didn't want to complain about this nice older brother who was one of the anointed...

Fortunately I only worked there for a couple months..moved on to bigger and better things.

• shamus
    shamus

McDonald's when I was fifteen.

I quit on the spot. It was the worst job I ever had, with the exception of the "ministerial weirdo" who ran a warehouse for a sleazy furniture place. I seem to recall all the salesmen were hammering one dumb receptionist.... they ended up firing her, LOL!

Oh, memories.

• talesin
    talesin

I was 11 years old, and I would go after school to work for a (you got it!) cleaning company for about an hour a day, cleaning offices at the telephone company. I was paid by contract, $120 per month by contract.

I have to admit, the 'brother' that owned the company paid good wages for his contracts, and what did I learn? That you have to work hard for the money.

It wasn't a bad experience, cleaning for $$ has always been good to me.

tal

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

"when minimum wage was $5.40..." .. isn't it only, like, $5.15 now? If not, I'm getting screwed.

• Puternut
    Puternut

Picking strawberries at 13. Strawberry fields forever..........ate until I trew up from a tummy ache

• bebu
    bebu

Besides babysitting... besides picking strawberries in the summer... besides a paper route for 9 months... I worked for a restaurant where you order at the counter, in high school.

I learned that sometimes you work hard and don't get paid well.

I also learned that there are some true chauvinist pigs in business. It's hard to learn how to deal with those apes.

bebu

• ball.
    ball.

LT

The lesson learnt was that England is too bl**dy cold to clean windows in Winter!!!
    Hence, not long after that I moved home to Scotland

to clean windows in the snow?

I worked in a bakery for a pittance of a wage. I regret turning down a job in an electronics firm with a college release program in order to pioneer, and I had already passed all my exams at school. It took me to leave the org 7 years later for me to go to college and change my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit