What was your very first job ?

by xjw_b12 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

I drove my bike 3 miles down to a restaurant beside the ocean and did dishes and cleaned and straightened up seaside cabins...at 14.

sincerely

Special K

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

At age 15 I worked at a Library after school as a "page", putting the books back on the shelves and miscellaneous filing of newspapers and periodicals.

I had to quit the job the next summer as they would not give me time off for an assembly

• Robdar
    Robdar

My very first job was on the air at WKAX, a little AM rock station. Yes, I remember it and all the people I worked with. Radio taught me how to get over being shy and quiet and how to think on my feet. Probably the most valuable thing that radio has taught me is how to take myself less seriously.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Cleaned offices with a sister when I was 14. Then worked at a gym in child care at 16, got promoted, by the time I was 17, I was the Sales Manager.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

P.S. Rodbar, you and I have something in common. When I was 17 I worked part time at night for the KIIS FM radio station, answering phones, doing on air skits and getting food for the guests. That was the most fun I´´ve ever had working

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My first job was working as my dad's secretary. I was 16, fresh out of a six-month crammed secretarial course in Sydney, and living in a little mining town called Nhulunbuy in the Northern Territory of Australia. Dad worked for Fischer & Porter, an American company that supplied all of the instrumentation to Nabalco's alumina plant. It was the first fully automated alumina plant in the world (this was 1971, by the way), and Dad was in charge of making it work. The computer took up two floors of one of the only air-conditioned buildings and was enormous. My office was in a tiny trailer in the middle of a caustic acid zone. I had my own hard hat, on which I painted flowers so none of the guys who worked for Dad would be tempted to "borrow" it. (Personal hygiene was nonexistent with that bunch.)

What did I learn from it? DON'T EVER WORK FOR YOUR DAD (at least, not my dad!)!!! At home he was a pretty nice guy, but he turned into Mr. Hyde at work and was a real bear to work for. Plus, if I was sick he'd bring the work home for me, which even my mother complained about. However, it was a good first experience, kept me occupied, and taught me what I didn't want out of a job.

Nina

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Paperboy, at 13 years old. Big route, took me 3 hours to complete before school began. Gave me enough money to start my own business in "pharmacueticals" while in school, that payed much better. I learned that hard & smart work pays off, been working ever since.

• Mulan
    Mulan

other than babysitting and ironing for a neighbor when I was a teenager, I worked in a bank. When I was a senior in high school, I took DECA (Distributive Education Club of America) and we were required to have a job for that class. I got a part time job after school, working in a bank, filing checks. Boring.

I also worked occasionally for my Dad (a doctor), filling in when his receptionist was sick or on vacation. I did his billing every month for about a year.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Started babysitting at 12, at 16 got a job at the local pizza joint, until I got mono and had to quit!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

paper route at 13, labouring jobs through a couple of summer holidays then at 16 worked part time as a telephone sales man for a kitchen firm. I quickly learned that I was good at blagging people and that you really can fool some of the people all of the time. I then went on to sell double glazing, kirby vacuum cleaners, more kitchens and office stationary. My first job after leaving school at 18 was to work as a trainee at Tesco. I ended up being very badly stitched up and was working for about £3 per hour so I left to join the army. That taught me to always read the contract before signing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit