by xjw_b12 68 Replies latest jw friends

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Do you remember it ?

Did you you learn anything from it?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Oh yes.

I stayed on at school to do an extra year so as to get my GCE's.

Well, my Dad had a pal who worked in a factory as a foreman. (Actually, Hillary Step knew him too) However with the big A being just around the corner (in 1961) it was decided that I should leave school and become a sheet metal worker for Eliott Business Machines in Feltham, Middx.

The whole sheet metal section were all JW's, so we did the text, didn't smoke, ogle the office girls, fart or swear.

I earned the princely sum of £5 /15's/ 6d, had the hots for Hayley Mills and prayed that Claudia Cardinale would one day turn up at the Kingdom Hall.

Failing that, Gina Lollobrigida would suffice.

Englishman.

• shotgun
    shotgun

What do ya think...cleaning

yes I learned how to have free food fights in grocery stores after hours and read x-rated mags without getting caught...hold on someone's at the door.......doh

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    The whole sheet metal section were all JW's, so we did the text, didn't smoke, ogle the office girls, fart or swear.

C'mon Mike, there musta been some farting in there from time to time. Who would know? over the roar of the machinery?

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I worked at a local pizza place when I was about 14. I was paid less than minimum wage under-the-table, operated the ovens when I was legally too young, worked more hours than I legally was allowed, and was generally treated like crap. Why did I take and stay at that job for two years? My family knew the owner and the business was failing (gee, I wonder why?) and they needed help. I got lots of free pizza, though. Sometimes that was ALL the pay I got. I doubled as a baby-sitter for the owner's five obnoxious children.

It was a bad situation. The owner and all the kids wound up homeless and lived in the pizza place for awhile... then in their car when the restaurant was shut down. If the health department didn't close the doors, then it was the IRS -- they were both there a lot near the end. I then moved on to a job that actually paid taxes (lol) - and liked it even less. Go figure.

SLM

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

somebody:

When you're still a kid at 14, you just don't know any better. Even though I tried to slack off at home from time to time, I was very studious when I worked for others.

I'm working on my first job story (cleaning) Shotgun is my protege.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    C'mon Mike, there musta been some farting in there from time to time. Who would know? over the roar of the machinery?

No no. We were so repressed we would squeak when we walked.

Englishman.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I was 14 and a 'counter' waitress. It was a cafeteria style, grill restaurant, like you see at museums now. Little old ladies and men would come in and buy cups of coffee and cake and sit there all day............ I really learned to patient with people!!!!!!!!!! They tip you 50 cents and expect 10 refills...............ugh.

14 going on 41 and still working............just not there.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Can you guess?

Yup, I started a wee window cleaning firm.

The lesson learnt was that England is too bl**dy cold to clean windows in Winter!!!
    Hence, not long after that I moved home to Scotland

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I worked at an afterschool program for elementary kids. Kind of a daycare, but at school. It was fun, I pretty much colored with the girls, played kick ball with the boys, and played tag with all the kids. It was a good first job. Just a few hours after school when I was 15.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit