USA Election 2004

by Simon 242 Replies latest social current

• bisous
    bisous

Richie, you're right about cSpan for the most part. They also do shows where they read (literally) the latest newspaper reports on key topics (from a variety of print sources) and then host alternating callers (Repub, Democrat, Indep) to receive opinions and feedback. The reason I prefer cSpan and NPR is it is much less opinions and posturing, and predominantly just a presentation of the facts for the listener or observer to interpret.

NPR is National Public Radio, I'm sure it is broadcast in Canada and there is an extensive internet site.

As you probably already know, in the US, FOX is considered to be as right wing as most of the lefties you mentioned in your posts.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Patio,

Yeru, It's simply too soon for the matter of Bush's National Guard service to be settled. You point out (Turnipseed?) said he did not recall Bush. True enough, but the rest of the story no one else did either---save that one person who finally came out, remembered him--even though they were looking for him to be there, being an important personage.

Turnipseed is now saying he doesn't recall one way or another...AND that he has Altzheimers...there goes that witness...and now, the press has dug up two different officers that DO recall Bush serving in Alabama...the issue is dead...Bush, in 1972...was just another pilot...top notch (as in top 5%) but he was neither president nor son of the president at that time.

Then we find out he didn't get any "special consideration" to get into the guard...he got in simply because he was in the top 5% of those evaluated...

There's also some story about Bush being ineligible for Nam because he needed 500 more flight hours...I can't give ya links yet...

All this against the background of the last president who was given an induction notice, and instead went to England...this is pure politics...and now we see, it's also complete Bull Shit.

Bious, NPR is NOT a balanced source of news...it's quite left of center. C-SPAN...isn't really a news channel.

Fox does have the most balanced reporting IMHO...they report more stories that the others won't touch...and even when it's news analysis...which I grant is right of center USUALLY...they generally have a well spoken person from the left side of the issue. Hillary has a standing invitation to appear on O'Reilly...as does Dean...but they're afraid of hard in-your-face questions.

what other News Outfit carries both a Hannity and a Colmes, Greta is left of center...Shep Smith is just Hilarious...take an unbiased look at Fox and you'll find that they are certainly right of center in News analysis...but balanced in presentation.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Yeru,

It was so nice of you to rebut my post--what a surprise. But as I said, I'm not debating it--it's too soon, and I don't think it's all that relevant. It seems to be a bit of a red herring about what's really the issue of President Bush.

Six you said:

It's no coincidence that the real men who would not have sent America to war, are the types who did go to war when called, and the men who did send America to war are the chickenhawks, queens of deferments and national guard duty.

That's ironic, isn't it? I remember when we were young, the reserves and National Guard were considered cowardly. Not that I agree with that assessment--it's just a matter of what seemed to be general opinion.

Pat

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    btw, essentially, the hippies were right about everything.

omg... that would really be a funny statement if it wasn't so pathetic. Most hippies I knew were half stoned most of the time, including my cousin who commited suicide because she lost her ability to reason.

the men who did send America to war are the chickenhawks, queens of deferments and national guard duty.

ah, you got that wrong.... Clinton joined the Army Reserves, he just didn't show up.

• patio34
    patio34

Re: the hippies were right about everything

I take that to mean that they were right about everything pertaining to the discussion at hand and that is relevant. Of course, one wouldn't take it to mean that they were right about not washing themselves often enough or everyone living in communes.

It seems to me that they were right in being "anti-establishment," anti-war (Viet Nam war), distrust of the government and the military-industrial complex, and religions, etc.

Pat

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

As to joining the National Guard to "get out of Vietnam" actually, quite a few numbers of pilots from the NG went...dollars involved in training...as I understand it Bush didn't have enough flight hours to go...more on that when I get more info...

I wonder who was in more danger, Bush, or Clinton?

as to the Hippies being right about anything...Which hippie? Jane Fonda as seen humping an NVA anit aircraft gun...or taking notes from American POW's and then giving them to the NVA guards? Or was it the hippies finding information about American POW's and feeding it to the NVA resulting in better psychological torture by the NVA...and the deaths of several due to their cover stories being blown...(SF soldiers were killed outright quite often, so they said they were clerks and mechanics...Anti War demonstrators fed info to the NVA on any POW's name they got...several of these SF soldiers died because americans ratted them out.

Was it the hippies that put on Winter Soldier...that had fake vets tell about war atrocities they claimed to have witnessed or actually committed (only later to find out most of these guys had never served in the military...by the way...this is where Kerry claims he got his charges of war atrocities in Vietnam.

Or was it the hippies that were going to airports and spitting on soldiers coming back from Nam and calling them BABY KILLERS, yet these self righteous a$$holes wouldn't be seen ANYWHERE protesting the atrocities committed by the NVA and Viet Cong.

The hippies were high...and full of SHIT!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

OK, I'm gonna back pedal a hair, not all hippies and not all war protestors were involved in this stuff...but many were...my remarks were directed at those who were involved in any of those activities I mentioned...this would include John Kerry.

• Simon
    Simon

"Election 2004"

... of course, why not start going on about Clinton !

Last time I checked he wasn't running

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

So he's good enough for John McCain to work with, but not you...

• patio34
    patio34

Simon, it would seem to me that the ranting about Clinton is a red herring to move the heat off President Bush's lack of evidence for the "gathering and present danger." (Doesn't he have any original words to say??) And the hippie statement is the same thing, just a digression away from the real issue of NO WMDs. And what about Halliburton, et al getting all those juicy contracts without competition? No, let's argue about hippies and Clinton, according to some of the Bush-supporters.

I don't know enough about Kerry yet (the intern thing has just been denied to AP today by the woman), but it still doesn't change one thing about Bush's misdirection in invading Iraq.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit