USA Election 2004

by Simon 242 Replies latest social current

• Atilla
    Atilla

To say that Bush wouldn't serve during the Vietnam war is ridiculous is not ridiculous. First of all, I wasn't alive during the Vietnam War but I know many people who were alive and there were only a few legal ways to get out of military service. First, you could defer service by going to college but when you got out you could still be drafted or you could join the national guard which assured yourself a ticket for stateside. Everyone knew this and the national guard in almost every state was deluged with applications.

So, to get into the national guard was very difficult, let alone into a high ranking position such as the Air National Guard. Bush use his money and family connections to into the national guard and I don't know why he is ashamed of it. This was a different time period with an unpopular war and many people used similar methods to avoid going to Vietnam.

Why wasn't it an issue during the Election 2000? Well, it came up a little bit but Gore didn't use it because he was only a war reporter in Vietnam, yet another way to get out of actual combat. Bush shouldn't pretend that he did this great service for his country when many politicians including Clinton and Gore used similar techniques to avoid combat. The National Guard back then, unlike today didn't mean you were on the front lines of a combat zone like Iraq. Further, Bush shouldn't issue statements like Bring Em On when he has never truly tasted war for himself.

Kerry did go to Vietnam, would that make himself a better president, not really. Just maybe, he would be a little more hesitant to send people to war though. However, our country has had great military and non-military presidents, so it all just depends. However, I must say, standing next to Kerry does make Bush seam a little weak.

• talesin
    talesin

here's a link to a timeline comparison re Kerry v. Bush military record

http://www.motherjones.com/news/update/2004/02/02_400.html

thought it might add some fuel to the fire interesting information for your debate.

talesin

• patio34
    patio34

Just one tiny thought:

Why wasn't it an issue during the Election 2000?

Was it because there wasn't a "war" going on and because "war" is a key issue in this election?

• Richie
    Richie

Gozz,

Yes I meant it: FOX News gives the most reliable and balanced information compared to all the media available in the USA. Mind you, MSNBC is not that bad either but doesn't come close to FOX. The rest is pitiful and biased against any Republican sympathizer, which is why many people are confused politically and have the tendancy to be anti-Bush.

Richie :*)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    First of all, I wasn't alive during the Vietnam War

Well, that explains alot.

but I know many people who were alive and there were only a few legal ways to get out of military service.

Yes, and our last President tried most of them:

• Bill Clinton registers for the draft on September 08, 1964, accepting all contractual conditions of registering for the draft. Given Selective Service Number 3 26 46 228.
    • Bill Clinton classified 2-S on November 17, 1964.

• Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on March 20, 1968.

• Bill Clinton ordered to report for induction on July 28, 1969. He dishonors order to report and is not inducted into the military.
    • Bill Clinton reclassified 1-D after enlisting in the United States Army Reserves on August 07,1969 under authority of Col.E.Holmes.

• Clinton signs enlistment papers and takes oath of enlistment.

• Bill Clinton fails to report to his duty station at the University of Arkansas ROTC, September 1969.

• Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on October 30, 1969, as enlistment with Army Reserves is revoked by Colonel E. Holmes and Clinton now AWOL and subject to arrest under Public Law 90-40 (2)(a) "registrant who has failed to report....remain liable for induction".

• Bill Clinton's birth date lottery number is 311, drawn December 1,1969, but anyone who has already been ordered to report for induction is INELIGIBLE!
    • The irony is with a number as high as 311 he would have NEVER been called up.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Ah, isn't this great!

Let freedom ring.

Unless we're in Iraq, in which case we have to suffer under the boot of a tyrant because the hippies are scared to let the American soldier do his job...

CZAR

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Unless we're in Iraq, in which case we have to suffer under the boot of a tyrant because the hippies are scared to let the American soldier do his job...

What frightened little pussies chickenhawk conservatives are. Afraid of their own shadows, afraid of brown people with big noses who talk funny, afraid they don't have enough brains so they might as well use brawn (they may be right about this one, but f*** 'em, no more).

It's no coincidence that the real men who would not have sent America to war, are the types who did go to war when called, and the men who did send America to war are the chickenhawks, queens of deferments and national guard duty.

btw, essentially, the hippies were right about everything.

Hint for czar, nothing that has happened in Iraq has been the "American soldiers job", most especially the Imperial Guard duty they are pulling now.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    btw, essentially, the hippies were right about everything.

Wow. Can I quote you?

CZAR

• bisous
    bisous
    Yes I meant it: FOX News gives the most reliable and balanced information compared to all the media available in the USA. Mind you, MSNBC is not that bad either but doesn't come close to FOX. The rest is pitiful and biased against any Republican sympathizer, which is why many people are confused politically and have the tendancy to be anti-Bush.

Guess you haven't heard of or listened to NPR...cSpan....

• Richie
    Richie

Bisous,

The news media I compared FOX with were written in my previous posts. I am sure that there exist other less-known media organizations such as the ones you mentioned. Isn't C-Span more a media where they show live-programming on political issues without adding private comments and reporting? The other one you mentioned (NPR) I do not know, but could you please enlighten me? Appreciate it!

Richie :*)

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit