USA Election 2004

by Simon 242 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

When all is said and done, only people on par with GW Bush will end up supporting him.

Yes, you've been insulted.

And now, for something completely different:

"It's nine months before the election and Bush's poll numbers have fallen to the exact level
    that his father's poll numbers were nine months before he lost to Bill Clinton. Today John Kerry
    said he's not superstitious, but just to be on the safe side, he's going to start fucking everything that moves."
    --Bill Maher

LOLOL!!!

• patio34
    patio34

Hilarious Six!! I'll be passing that one on!

Pat

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I personally couldn't care less if Bush is re-elected or not but I can say this much at least

Simon

There was no new intelligence. The intelligence hadn't given any reason to go to war for years and suddenly, when Bush got into office, it seems that it did.

I'm sorry Simon but you are incorrect about that.

For a long long time a lot of people were sick and tired of nothing being done about the threats from the middle east and were eager to get Bush in office for that very reason in hopes that he would be a ...man of action persa' and were happy that he has proven to be just that. I do not agree with war and I really did not want Bush in office because frankly?he frightened me. But I am not in a position to go over there and personally save all those children and families from being tortured by those animals, nor can I personally keep those animals from invading my country and killing my friends and family, so I have to rely on the Government that is voted into and appointed to make the decisions.

When the day comes that I can fly around the world in my invisible plane like "Wonder Woman" and beat up all the bad people, then I will truly be in a position to tell the military to retire, they are no longer needed there will be no more wars. Until that day gets here I'm not dumb enough to think I know more then they do when it comes to protecting as many of us as humanly possible in the best way possible with what ever tools they have to work with.

We may not be perfect but at least for the time being, we (you and I) are not as vulnerable to horrific forms of abuse and cruelty at the hands of a mad man as the citizens of Iraq have been, and I am damn proud of it.

You should be thankful that your children are not living under such a dictatorship Where at any day or time they could be taken away from you while you stand helpless and have to watch them be raped and tortured the way too many families have.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Six,

What do you mean "on a par" with Bush?

Six, why would you vote for Kerry, who would see the justice department, rather than the military wage the war on terrorism,...who would raise taxes and hurt the economy in doing so...who has stated publically he believes in a litmus text for the judges he would appoint...that's not the America I believe in...but you're incorrect...Bush will be support by a majority of the United States....the terrorists are rooting for Kerry...who would have us bow once again at the altar of the UN

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

An interesting note in the attack on Bush and his National Guard record...yesterday the RNC produced an officer that remembers seeing Bush in Alabama when he says he was there...what's even more hilarious, the guy who originally said that as base commander he didn't recall Bush serving in Alabama...has admitted he has Altzheimers.

• Gozz
    Gozz
    At least when you watch Fox News, you get balanced and fair programming on political issues.

Hey Richie, you're kidding, right? FOX news?? You gotta be kidding.

• bisous
    bisous
    excuse me.... Saddam wouldn't let the inspectors in for several years, and then when he did, he started playing games. Of course war should be the last resort, but remember this past action with Iraqi was a continuation of the 1991 War .... 12 years we let Saddam yank the U.N.s chain. Saddam made the choice, PERIOD.
    Excuse Me, but the 1991 War ended in 1991. In no way was the recent war a CONTINUATION of that war, except perhaps in how the current administration wants to perfume their pig. Further, it now appears that sanctions worked, as Iraq was unable to rebuild their WMD programs to an extent to be in possession of said weapons to a magnitude to pose an imminent threat.
    Additionally, Bush wasn't alone in his opinion of Saddam bringing war upon himself.....
    "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line." - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998
    "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program." - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998
    Please explain how the 2 above quotes support your inference that Clinton specifically supported Bush's decision to go to war.

I'm already irritated with myself for responding .... this is supposed to be a thread about the election....sorry, Simon

Pulling My Hair Out

• patio34
    patio34

Yeru, It's simply too soon for the matter of Bush's National Guard service to be settled. You point out (Turnipseed?) said he did not recall Bush. True enough, but the rest of the story no one else did either---save that one person who finally came out, remembered him--even though they were looking for him to be there, being an important personage.

Can't you just wait for some facts rather than trying to be so dogmatic about everything? And at least present a fair picture.

Plus, just another bit of interest, is that there are those who do remember Bush during those months (May-Sept) working on a campaign in, was it Virginia, when he was supposed to be on National Guard duty?

I'm not going to debate it with you because you tap dance all around and frankly, it's just not that important to slam shut my mind before all the facts are in. Same with Kerry. Things aren't as black and white as one would think.

I'm content to pay attention and wait to see what gets settled as far as the peripheal issues that don't change the FACTs that there are no WMD or evidence thereof discovered so far and some of the BIG issues, such as intelligence quality, legality, new govenment policy of Preventative war.

Pat

• patio34
    patio34

I gotta new attitude

This is my brand new attitude and it may last for a day or two, lol.

I don't care about the disputing that goes on here at the board, or in the country. I just plan to read and listen to the news, from mainstream and also independent net news, make up my own mind, and mostly keep it to myself.

It's getting a bit dreary for me Usually I think there's value to political discussion when people really are sharing ideas, but the rancor that creeps in (me too!) is a bit gloomy and irritating.

So, in the interest of peaceful relations, I withdraw from the political discussions. At least for a few days. I'm taking a peace break. After all, we're all entitled to our opinions, but we don't have to share them (lol, or listen to them).

Peacefully yours,

Pat

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Please explain how the 2 above quotes support your inference that Clinton specifically supported Bush's decision to go to war.
    First of all, I didn't "infer" anything about Clinton supporting Bush's decision...re-read what I wrote (btw, how can you "infer" and be "specific" at the same time?) Secondly, Saddam NEVER lived up to the terms he signed at the 1991 Gulf War cease fire. The Iraq war in '03 WAS a continuation of the Gulf War.... the following are some of the events that took place during Clinton's administration:

• February 1991 -US and allies drive Iraqi forces from Kuwait. Later in the year US, British and French planes start patrolling Iraq's northern skies to shield Iraq's Kurds from attack by Baghdad.

• Dec 27, 1992-US F­16 fighter shoots down Iraqi MiG in no­fly zone in southern Iraq.

• January 1993-US and allied planes blast Iraqi military targets over several days in retaliation for alleged violations of cease-fire terms.
    • June-US warships fire 23 cruise missiles at Baghdad destroying Iraqi intelligence service headquarters wing. Missiles kill six people. Attack ordered to avenge alleged Iraqi plot to kill former US president George Bush.
    • July and August-US planes strike at antiaircraft missile sites in series of missile attacks in no­fly zones over southern and northern Iraq.

• October 1994- Iraqi republican guards move into southern Iraq near border with Kuwait. United States and Britain send forces towards Kuwait.

• 1996 Aug 31: President Bill Clinton places US forces in the Gulf on alert after Iraqi troops supporting the Kurdistan Democratic Party capture northern Iraqi city of Arbil from rival Patriotic Union of Kurdistan.
    • Sept 3: US forces fire 27 sea and air­launched missiles at targets in southern Iraq. Washington says strikes are warning to Iraq to comply with Gulf War cease-fire resolutions. President Saddam Hussein orders his forces to ignore the no­fly zones and shoot down intruders.
    • Sept 4: UPS launches second wave of cruise missiles at Iraqi military targets in what America says is effort to destroy Iraq's ability to attack aircraft enforcing expanded no­fly zone in southern Iraq. Sept 11-Iraq fires one surface­to­air missile at two US F16 jets policing no­fly zone over northern Iraq.
    • Sept 13: Iraq makes surprise announcement it would suspend all attacks against allied warplanes patrolling two no­fly zones. Announcement comes as US military buildup in Gulf gathers pace, including 5,000 troops.

• Oct 29: Iraq, acting in response to Security Council resolution threatening ban on travel abroad by Iraqi officials who interfere with weapons inspections, bars Americans from weapons teams on its territory and gives them week to leave the country. Security Council condemns decision and the UN Special Commission (Unscom) set up after Gulf War to eliminate Iraq's weapons of mass destruction suspends all field operations. Three­week­long crisis ensues during which US assembles force of 30 warships, 250 planes and bombers in the region .
    • Nov 3: Iraq warns will shoot down U­2 spy planes if UN does not cancel them. Baghdad blocks US members of UN team from weapons site. UN halts three inspections.
    • Nov 12: Security Council imposes international travel ban on Iraqi officials impeding UN weapons teams, condemns Iraq for blocking American UN arms inspectors.
    • Nov 13: Iraq expels American arms monitors.
    • Nov 14: Unscom head Richard Butler pulls inspection staff, leaves skeleton staff.
    • Nov 20: Iraq and Russia agree arms inspectors to return to work. Russia to promote lifting of sanctions against Iraq once Baghdad complies with UN resolutions. Iraq says Russia will guarantee measures including "balanced representation" of members in Unscom, suspending inspection of presidential sites and flights of US-operated U-2 spy planes.
    • Nov 21: UN arms inspectors, including Americans, return to Iraq to resume inspections.
    • Dec 15: Butler says Iraq told him it would never allow inspectors to enter presidential sites.

• Jan 5, 99: The U.N. Security Council will begin consideration today of Iraqi plans to expel U.S. and British relief workers. - Iraqi officials say the safety of the workers could not be guaranteed due to anger over air strikes in the Mid- East nation last month.
    • Jan 11, 99: Egypt's official news agency cited government sources yesterday as saying that the Iraqi people should overthrow President Saddam Hussein. - allegations that Hussein has killed and tortured thousands of Iraqi citizens were cited as justification for deposing him. Officials in Kuwait say they have placed the nation's military forces on alert following statements from Iraq suggesting that it should withdrawal its recognition of Kuwait's borders.
    • Jan 12, 99: The parliament of Kuwait held a closed session this morning to discuss military and other concerns arising from recent threats to the nation from Iraq. Chief U.N. weapons inspector Richard Butler yesterday announced the suspension of U.N. U-2 reconnaissance plane flights over Iraq while the Security Council debates the future of monitoring in that nation.
    • Jan 13, 99: Iraqi officials yesterday expressed their desire for a "balanced dialogue" aimed at resolving the nation's ongoing confrontation with the U.S. and Britain.
    • Jan 14, 99: Secretary of Defense William Cohen said yesterday that the U.S. is planning to financial support opponents of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
    • Jan 15, 99: Reports cite Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz as saying yesterday that the "land and coasts" of Kuwait belong to the Iraqi people . U.S. Secretary of Defense William Cohen yesterday denied reports that the U.S. plans to conduct bombing operations in northern Iraq.
    • Jan 26, 99: Official Iraqi media yesterday condemned recent U.S. air strikes in southern and northern Iraq and called for other Arab nations to protest the military action also. - Iraq claims that U.S. attacks yesterday killed at least 11 people and wounded another 59. - U.S. military officials say they are investigating the possibility that a U.S. missile may have overshot its target by several miles.
    • Jan 27, 99: Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan said yesterday that his nation would continue to challenge U.S. and British planes enforcing no-fly zones over the mid-East nation. - the statement followed an announcement by the U.S. of an intention to intensify operations against Iraqi air defenses.
    • Jan 29, 99: The U.N. Security Council is expected to seek the establishment of three expert panels today to review all aspects of the international body's relationship with Iraq. - reports say it is expected that Russia will continue to oppose any role for the U.N. Special Commission that has conducted arms inspections for several years.
    • Feb 1, 99: Iraqi media reports say Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has offered a $14,000 (25 million dinar) reward for air defense troops who succeed in shooting down hostile aircraft over the Mid-East nation. - according to the Iraqi weekly Nabd al-Shabab.- related: six U.S. and two British planes fired on Iraqi missile sites yesterday in Mid-East nation's southern "no-fly" zone.
    • Feb, 3 99: U.S. miliary officials say attacks were carried out yesterday on Iraq missile forces that were being moved into positions from which they could have threatened U.S. ships in the Persian Gulf.
    • Feb 4, 1999: U.N. spokesman George Somerwill said yesterday that two American U.N. staff remain in Iraq today, despite Baghdad's statement yesterday that it could not guarantee the safety of U.S. or British personnel in the Mid-East nation.
    • Feb 5, 99: * Chief U.N. weapons inspector Richard Butler has announced that he will resign his post in June. U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen said yesterday that Iraqi forces are apparently withdrawing some surface-to-air missiles from the "no-fly" zones in the southern and northern regions of the Mid-East nation.
    • Feb 12, 99: Turkey yesterday rejected calls from Iraq to end revoke its permission for U.S. and British forces to use a Turkish airbase in their operations against Iraq. U.S. fighter jets yesterday fired missiles at two Iraqi surface- to-air missiles sites, two communications stations and a radar site in Iraq's northern region. - Iraqi officials say two civilians were killed in the attacks.
    • Feb 14, 99: U.S. and British warplanes continued to target Iraqi missile sites in northern Iraq this morning
    • Feb, 16 99: The U.S. yesterday responded to Iraqi threats that bases in the Mid-East used by British and U.S. forces may be attacked by warning of swift and powerful retaliation in the event of such attacks
    • Feb 22, 99: * U.S. and British warplanes attacked one missile site and two military communications sites in southern Iraq yesterday after Iraqi jets violated the region's "no-fly" zone.
    • Mar, 1 99: Iraqi officials say U.S. air attacks this weekend damaged a major pumping station along the pipeline through which the mid-East nation exports its oil. U.S. officials say they have no evidence that the Iraqi claim is true.
    • Mar 2, 99: The Washington Post cites U.S. government employees and documents as saying that U.S. intelligence services spied on Iraq for three years without the knowledge of U.N. arms control teams working in the mid-East nation. U.S. military officials say F-15E jets bombed several Iraqi communication, radio, and anti-aircraft sites yesterday in response to several incidents of Iraqi radar targeting U.S. and British aircraft.
    • Mar 4, 99: China's Qin Huasun, the current president of the U.N. Security Council yesterday criticized U.S. and British attacks on Iraqi facilities, saying the mid-East nation's sovereignty and territorial integrity should be respected. Chief U.N. weapons inspector Richard Butler said yesterday that he had no knowledge of the U.S.'s use of his inspection teams as a cover for spying efforts in Iraq.
    • Mar 5, 99: Secretary of State William Cohen said yesterday that U.S. forces operating in Iraq would try to avoid causing any further disruptions in Iraqi oil pipeline operation. Iraq last week said its oil pipeline to Turkey was damaged by U.S. jets during bombing operations.
    • Mar 8, 99: Pentagon officials report that U.S. fighter jets continued operations against Iraqi anti-aircraft sites in northern Iraq this morning. - the bombing was in response to U.S. jets being targeted by Iraqi radar, according to a Pentagon spokesman. U.S. Secretary of Defense William Cohen has reportedly offered to share U.S. information on Iranian and Iraqi missile tests with six other Gulf states, including the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain.
    • Mar 9, 99: The mid-East nation of Qatar yesterday called for an end to U.S. and British air strikes in Iraqi "no-fly" zones.
    • Mar 11, 99: U.S. Secretary of Defense William Cohen said yesterday that the U.S. would maintain its presence in the Middle East as long as necessary to counter perceived threats from Iraq an Iran and preserve regional stability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit