Breastfeeding

by Country Girl 67 Replies latest social family

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

On another note, I was on a beach in Panama and saw a woman breast feeding her four year old...enough's enough...give the kid a glass of milk already.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Maybe a breastfeeding mother considers that she's entitled to act like a normal human being and feed her child in a comfortable fashion in public, especially since she's paying the same as everyone else.

I absolutely agree with this statement. I do not, however, agree that her comfort--or the comfort of her child--is affected in the least by showing a modicum of discretion. A light blanket or a nursing blouse that allows everyone in the room to remain comfortable with the situation is not a hardship or an inconvenience to anyone. Those in the restaurant who are uncomfortable seeing a bare breast hanging out with a baby attached to it, for whatever reason, have just as much right to a comfortable environment in which to enjoy their surroundings since they have paid the same amount as everyone else as well.

The problem with fanatics, in any situation, is that they declare that what they wish and desire is the only proper course of action and everyone else is just going to have to 'deal with it'. That's a vulgar, ridiculous attitude in any situation. Again, I state the obvious: When you can alter your behavior so as not to make people uncomfortable, and it costs you nothing to do so, then do it.

And let's not forget we need to ban changing babies in public, as if a bare breast does that to people, lord only knows what a baby's bits being flashed in public would lead to.

This is a totally separate issue having nothing to do with a baby's 'bits' being flashed, but with the fact that I don't need the woman in the next booth exposing a pile of feces or a urined soaked diaper into the environment where I am having dinner. (this actually happened to my husband and I one day when we were out for our anniversary, the couple in the next booth brought their baby--nothing like a good strong whiff of formula poop mixed with baby wipes to make enjoying my expensive meal even more memorable) I would never have dreamed of changing my children in an inappropriate place. I agree that children shouldn't have to eat in a restroom, but I absolutely think they should be changed there.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    On another note, I was on a beach in Panama and saw a woman breast feeding her four year old...enough's enough...give the kid a glass of milk already.

*laughing* Yes, I agree totally--there comes a time when breast feeding stops being about the needs of the child and becomes almost solely about the wishes of the mother. When there is no longer a clear nutritional benefit that can't be met with regular foods, and a child is old enough to ask to breast feed in a comlpete sentence, it's time to let go.

(edited because I can't spell worth a damn lately...)

• simplesally
    simplesally

I think that some people are failing to realize that most women wear oversize shirts and lift their shirt up, which then covers the top of the breast and the baby is on the nipple. I would not nurse my baby in the restroom, they are too dirty. I would nurse right at the table in the restaurant. If I was near a Babys R Us, I would pull over and go there, they have a lovely nursing room (set up like a living room). I would also go into a dressing room if we were shopping and just sit and relax with her.

Billygoat, I really don't see how there can be "insensitive breastfeeders," unless one was to strip topless and start nursing. Or unbutton a blouse in a restaurant to fully expose her breast. I think most women are pretty discreet about it.

As she got older, the nursing got down to just once or twice a day. But she could be pretty vocal about it if she was upset and we were shopping, all of a sudden she'd say "Mommy, I want da boobie."

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Billygoat, I really don't see how there can be "insensitive breastfeeders," unless one was to strip topless and start nursing. Or unbutton a blouse in a restaurant to fully expose her breast. I think most women are pretty discreet about it.

THIS is exactly what I am saying. That is all I mean by an "insensitive breastfeeder". I've seen a woman at a FINE dining establishment, take no discretion whatsoever and leave their breast completely exposed. Maybe I am a prude. I find it gross.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

WHY do you find it gross? It's natural.

It's your problem and something that most people dont have an issue with so why do you expect to be able to force your viewpoint on the rest of the world? You are trying to do exactly what you accused Abaddon of.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am sure there are laws about just "whipping it out" in public. There are many ways to be discreet. I used to find a place where there were not too many people, if I had to feed a baby in public, like the Nordstrom's Women's Lounge................perfect!! I usually put a blanket up if I was in a restaurant, or if the baby was difficult, I had to go in the rest room and either sit on a toilet, or stand. At the KH, there was always a room for the mothers...............the remodeled KH didn't have that.........the two extra rooms were for KM schools on Thursday and guarded by elders at the other meetings. You couldn't get in without a really good reason.

most women wear oversize shirts and lift their shirt up, which then covers the top of the breast and the baby is on the nipple.

That was me. We were in Hawaii when our youngest was 9 months old. We were on a tour, and he wanted to eat, so I lifted my shirt, hooked him up, and with his body and the T shirt covering everything, I continued walking and no one knew what I was doing. Button up shirts were more of a problem, or dresses.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Cows milk is for calves. Women's milk is for her child! Cover or no cover, what the mother is doing is natural. I mean, were not talking about urinating in public, are we?

Guest 77

• waiting
    waiting

I don't think ANYONE is arguing that breastfeeding an infant/young child is not natural and loving.

It's how it's done in public....particularily where men & women of all ages & ethnic backgrounds are gathered - and it can be done discreetly. Trust me.

I breastfeed 3 babies back in the 70's for extended time periods (about 3 yrs total). One usually didn't do that in public in my area back then....blanket or no blanket. My husband (who had been a hippie) was freaked out if I breastfed my own child in my own living room with appropriate light blanket if a man was there too. But he was a jerk. Most of the time, if I breastfed near the public, I'd wear a blouse which could be pushed up - no problem.

I think one should try to be sensitive to one's surroundings & people. We want others to do that for us too, don't we? A woman should be free to breastfeed her child where she chooses.....but I think discretion should be used.

Personally? If I were in a fine/regular restaurant with my husband, I'd appreciate it if a mother would lift her blouse discreetly (like we used to do), or use a light covering. And it would irritate the hell out of me if a parent were to change the baby's crappy diaper where all around would have to endure the smell.....along with the food we're paying for.

However, I don't think ANY mother should have to breastfeed her baby in a stall in a bathroom, sitting on a toilet - while a stranger uses the next stall. It's just demeaning to the mother & baby. I was coming into Walmart restroom while a young mother was coming out of a stall after breastfeeding her young infant. Public stalls are not known for their cleanliness, let alone smell - and Walmart is NOT above average. Hopefully, she'll just sit in the eating area next time and enjoy a Coke while her child feeds in comfort & cleanliness. Blanket or not blanket - no mother deserves a *crappy stall.*

Like Billygoat.....this is my personal opinion - but I've been there, done that.

((((((((((((((((((((((((Andi))))))))))))))))))))))

waiting

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    WHY do you find it gross? It's natural.

So is farting, pooping, and sexual intercourse. I just don't like seeing/hearing it in public. It's personal. Why should I have to justify it? I don't personally am not attracted to men with back hair. So my making that statement must mean I want all men to shave their backs right?

It's your problem and something that most people dont have an issue with so why do you expect to be able to force your viewpoint on the rest of the world? You are trying to do exactly what you accused Abaddon of.

It's completely different. I'm making a statement of my opinion. I'm not asking that others change their opinions. I'm not trying to shame them into thinking they're wrong. That is NOT the same thing as what Abaddon did. Good god, why is Andi stating an opinion such a big deal? Hey...does this mean I'm in a flame war?!?! ((((())))) Woohoo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit