Breastfeeding

by Country Girl 67 Replies latest social family

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Well, I vote for piss on people.

Again, it's the situation and context on which a breast is..ahem..exposed.

I breastfed my son whenever and where ever "the need was great" . I wasn't in your face about it (except his little face, of course), and I never had a problem and I would have happy to have torn a "new one" for anyone that dared to give me any flak about it.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I can't imagine anyone being offended by a mom feeding her baby. Maybe back in the 50's or something.

Although I can assure you, while there has been some breast playing, there will never be any feeding done here.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I think the point is that, like in all things, you need to know your audience. If you are aware that someone may be uncomfortable with your behavior, and it costs you nothing to alter it, do so. There's nothing to be gained by making someone upset over something that is as unimportant is whether you cover a breast during a feeding.

As a mother who breast-fed both of my children, I fed them when they were hungry. If the situation allowed me to let it all hang out and get on with it, I did so. If it seemed more prudent to lend a little cover to the situation, I did so. To purposely do something that makes someone uncomfortable (again, when altering your behavior is not problematic to anything but your sensibilities) strikes me as rudeness for the sake of rudeness.

• Princess
    Princess

I discovered that babies get sick of having a blanket thrown over their head. I always tried to be discreet, but ultimately my baby would reach up and pull the blanket off...usually followed by a big grin, therefore exposing everything. Gotta love 'em.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I am 100% for breast feeding - but when not at home (or at home with visitors) I tried to cover myself a bit- felt more comfortable that way.

• Xena
    Xena

I breastfed my daughter for 13 months, wherever I happened to be. I covered up with a towel or blanket though, personally I was more comfortable that way. But I would never take issue with anyone who wanted to breastfeed uncovered, just my personal preferance.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Sara Annie:

Good points, and that is why I was bringing it up. Janet Jackson exposed her bare breast on prime time television, without even caring about the people that might not have *wanted* their kids to see that, and it was the talk of the town, even over an incredible game. Yet women who do it for a "legitimate" reason are demonized as "exhibitionists" and should be given a lot of crap, or even arrested for public exhibitionism. Janet Jackson obviously did it to push the "barriers" so that it could get to a point that "it's been done before, so what's wrong with doing it again" and then it goes on to something else more shocking. My feeling is that it's a sad state of affairs when an innocent man can get shot in the back on prime time television, or a gang rape portrayed with no censorship, and then the FCC does a a "breast" investigation. Kinda says something bad about our culture. Kinda says that we need to take a reality check.

In my opinion it was all staged to push the barriers a little further so that they can get more trash on prime time.. Just the networks testing the waters.

CG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My feeling is that it's a sad state of affairs when an innocent man can get shot in the back on prime time television, or a gang rape portrayed with no censorship, and then the FCC does a a "breast" investigation. Kinda says something bad about our culture. Kinda says that we need to take a reality check.

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'm not a momma and have never breastfed, so I can't say too much on the topic. But I do think this is worth considering:

To purposely do something that makes someone uncomfortable (again, when altering your behavior is not problematic to anything but your sensibilities) strikes me as rudeness for the sake of rudeness.

This to me seems a lot like smokers copping an attitude if you don't like them blowing smoke towards your direction. If the smoker is sensitive and smokes outside, everyone is happy. It seems to me that sometimes people are caught up in their rights vs. doing what is right.

Just my thoughts,

Andi - who has no issue with open breast-feeding, but does have a problem with insensitive breast-feeders.

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I breast fed my youngest son. It was the best thing I ever did. My older son I didn't. I wish I had. Maybe we would have been closer. It really does bring a close bond. Why can't people understand that? I always draped something over me when I nursed, but of course it was obvious. I would do again. Assemblies, I didn't care. I wasn't into the special rooms. I did it where I wanted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit