Breastfeeding

by Country Girl 67 Replies latest social family

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I nursed my son for over 14 months. It was a wonderful experience. Nothing obscene about it.

I don't agree with women whipping their breasts out in public. But you can nurse in public and be very discreet about it. I never ran into problems.

wannaexit

• nilfun
    nilfun
    I don't pay $50 for a nice meal to see some lady's tit and a baby hanging off it. I find it gross.

You're entitled to your feelings of revulsion.

Hell, I can take off my whole damn shirt pretty much anywhere I want, except a restaurant, why should'nt women have the same right, especially for something that is necessary?

I agree. Seeing a baby taking in nourishment from an exposed breast is something quite beautiful. I guess is it hard for me to understand why someone would find that disgusting. It is not as though the woman was excreting waste or gas from her body. It is just Mother Nature's most perfect food, delivered in a perfectly natural way.

*Nilfun, of the "I hope my public nursing didn't cause too many people to lose their lunch " class.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have to say that nursing her til she was 2 was not the easiest thing to do but she just would not give it up! I am glad she was so adamant about it because now she has such a love of her Mommy. Still in the mornings, she wants to "lay on the boobie" (yes, I am covered up) .....after a shower sometimes she asks, "Mommy, I kiss the boobie?" Sometimes she says, " I was baby, I drink milk from boobie." She will open my robe and pat the boobie. She also squeezes them in an attempt to get milk!!!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!! She has such a love for my body and the comfort she received/receives from me ......... a comfort only Mommy can give. So, as hard as it was, I am glad that I perservered for her sake.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Sara Annie

The problem with fanatics, in any situation, is that they declare that what they wish and desire is the only proper course of action and everyone else is just going to have to 'deal with it'.

Yeah, I know, people who act like they have a right to decide whether a natural non-sexual activity should be done in public really drive me nuts too.

Fact is I can't ever recall seeing a women breastfeed a child 'indiscretely', even if they were in public. Obviously some do. BUT the fact the 'anti' argument immediately leap to phrasing suggestive of drunken spring-break revels (bare breast hanging out) when this is not in any way representative of what I have seen feeds my intuition that it is those who react like that who must be unreasonable over what they experience. Alternately I generate a field which impels women to put their breasts away when I am around... damn it!

As for changing a baby in an expensive restauraunt, it's not quite what I meant. I was trying to parodise the almost indecent sexualisation of non-sexual activity, one of the most disgusting perversions of this day and age. Taking a baby to an expensive restauraunt IS inconsiderate, as it's not a place for babies. I wouldn't go to a place where a screaming brat spoilt my meal again.

But there are people who will complain about a child being changed on the floor in a corner of a department store which has inadequate changing facilities, or breastfeeding in a corner of a park. There are people who will bristle over someone breastfeeding in an ordinary family restauraunt. I don;t think you're one of those

Billygoat

I have an opinion and I'm free to express it.

I thought that's what we were BOTH doing. What's the matter with ME doing it?

My dad has some elder friends that remind me of you.

What, thinking that breastfeeding in public is okay? Smoking pot? Being atheists? Having a naked avatar?

If I don't agree with the general consensus am I not allowed to share?

Didn't say that, and you are far too bright to try running strawman arguments past me; you seem to say at that you have an opinion and are free to express it, but when I express my opinion I'm being an elder. Weak.

But I can also find it gross.

You can! I can have an opinion about that!

Me being intolerant would be complaining to the maitre'd and asking him to handle it. Or worse, going up to her and asking her to put her boob away.

I realise that you're not the lunatic fringe who do do those things.

Is a nursing mother really going out of her way to cover herself?

You've yet to show why she should, but your presuppostion she should is so strong it doesn't occur to you to do so.

Regarding racism and other "intolerance"...find I'm one of the most tolerant people here. I'm probably very accepting of many people YOU wouldn't. I have opinions just like everyone else. Just because I'm a so-called "Christian-fundy" does that mean I can't voice them?

I didn't have you on my list of Christian-fundies! *scribble*

Seriously, I'm saying your opinion on this topic sucks, it begins and ends there. Oh, and would you (my original question)?

Can't any of the anti lobby see they are being so parochial it defies belief. Not everyone in the world has a Western up-tight attitude towards child sustinance! You are globally in a minority.

So is ... and sexual intercourse. [in context 'gross']

Say no more. How can we find a common ground? You group breastfeeding with sex. Which is obviously wrong.

I'm not trying to shame them into thinking they're wrong.

You could have fooled me. Where does the word 'gross' fit in with not shaming people?

avishai

Why is it that mostly women seem to be the the ones getting all bent out of shape at the sight of some titties?

Xena

When most people go out to eat they don't expect to be treated to the sight of a bare breast....

What if they order chicken?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    sometimes I think people read over the words and don't READ the words.

Andi, you are right about that. I wonder the same thing sometimes, or they are PURPOSELY reading something into what you said that you did not mean. I knew what you meant, if that helps.

• Xena
    Xena
    What if they order chicken?

ROFL, then they darn well better cover it in a sauce!

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Abaddon:

But there are people who will complain about a child being changed on the floor in a corner of a department store which has inadequate changing facilities, or breastfeeding in a corner of a park. There are people who will bristle over someone breastfeeding in an ordinary family restauraunt. I don;t think you're one of those

You think correctly, as evidenced by the entirety of my posts.

The problem with fanatics, in any situation, is that they declare that what they wish and desire is the only proper course of action and everyone else is just going to have to 'deal with it'.

Yeah, I know, people who act like they have a right to decide whether a natural non-sexual activity should be done in public really drive me nuts too.

The question never was "should mothers engage in breastfeeding in public places?".

This thread, like so many others, has delved into subject matter that was never in question to begin with--no one disputes that breastfeeding is a natural act that women should engage in where necessary, public or private. No one disputes the natural purpose for breasts, nor the validity of breastfeeding in general. While there are some people who can't take the sight of a breastfeeding infant and mother in any circumstances, or who think that breastfeeding in and of itself is distasteful (what's that all about, huh?) no one of that ilk has expressed that opinion in this thread. The point was only that one need not strip down to an unnecessary state of nudity to feed their child, and that some discretion is advisable. It would appear that the great majority of posters agree with that sentiment.

As a woman who chose to breastfeed her children and yet dares to say that we shouldn't all disrobe from the waist up and feed our children amidst the teeming masses while singing a chorus of "I am Woman", I feel like a band of LaLeche League commandos is going to break down my office door at any moment and take away my 'Good Mommy' credentials...

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    we shouldn't all disrobe from the waist up and feed our children amidst the teeming masses while singing a chorus of "I am Woman",

Yeah, you should have seen the dirty looks I got when I did THAT ONE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit