Breastfeeding

by Country Girl 67 Replies latest social family

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Here's one good reason for living in California:

Section 43.3 of the Civil Code relating to personal rights (1997)

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a mother may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, except the private home or residence of another, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    This to me seems a lot like smokers copping an attitude if you don't like them blowing smoke towards your direction. If the smoker is sensitive and smokes outside, everyone is happy. It seems to me that sometimes people are caught up in their rights vs. doing what is right.

Just my thoughts,

Andi - who has no issue with open breast-feeding, but does have a problem with insensitive breast-feeders.

Andi!

Breastfeeding compared to smoking?

doing what is right?

insensitive breast-feeders?

LOL!

How can one be an insensitive breastfeeder?

BTW: I'm very sensitive

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    this is a sore subject

Yes, Sheila, especially when they started getting teeth! I breastfed both Jennie and Jackson and I don't think I exposed myself overly in public. I remember one time coming back from the airport with a load of tired Brits and having to pull behind a 7-11 because Jackson was having a hissy fit and wanted to eat AT THAT MOMENT. I told everybody to look at the scenery outside the car and did what I had to do.

Actually, the only embarrassing moments I had were at the Kingdom Hall. Jennie was fairly discreet about her desire to eat -- she'd just open her mouth and turn her head toward the milk machine, but Jackson would look me straight in the eyes and cough, one of those pointed, discreet, but somehow LOUD coughs to get my attention. All the mothers around me would snicker when they heard it because they knew exactly what he wanted!

It was a wonderful experience and one I would recommend to every mother. Advice: don't eat lentil soup -- it gives them colic.

Nina

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    Breast feeding is great, and natural, too many prudes running around BUNK THEM. However, doing this while driving might be a problem, as one young lady found out.

So what's the difference between a lady getting her boobs out to feed and Janet Jackson's 2 second flash at the superbowl??? Everyone everywhere else in the world is amazed that there is so much controversy at a 2 second boob flash with no nipple.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Some people who came from certain backgrounds equate nudity - any nudity - with sex.

Thus the fuss over feeding a baby the way a baby is meant to be fed.

I think we should be as intolerant of them as they are of breastfeeding. Seems fair...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

SheilaM & Beautiful Garbage:

BG with all due respect: The analogy I understand kinda...but I think there is a HUGE difference between puffing on a cigarette and nursing a baby. A baby needs to be fed when it is hungry and a bunch of WOMEN getting bent at a baby shower sucks. That is a time I wouldn't use a blanket not that I ever was not discreet. Doing what is right is nursing your baby, feeding your baby that is all that is right. Why should a woman have to feed her child on a toilet etc. In a resteraunt all you would see is little feet kicking and a Mother leaning over her baby and that back of the babies head...I fail to see where that can ever be offensive.

Breastfeeding compared to smoking?

doing what is right?

insensitive breast-feeders?

LOL!

How can one be an insensitive breastfeeder?

BTW: I'm very sensitive

I guess I should clarify. I don't have an issue with women breastfeeding in public. I would prefer they do it "covered". It's pretty obvious when they have a covered child, what is going on. I understand nursing your child is natural. But so is farting. That still doesn't mean I want you to let one out loudly while we're out dining together. Women who just let their tits hang out wherever and whenever and have NO discretion whatsoever to me, is them being insensitive to the comfort of those around them. When a women is more concerned with her right to bare, versus being a "lady" and gracefully making those around her feel comfortable with witnessing such an "intimate" act (and from all my nursing girlfriends, it is a very intimate experience), I can't help feel they don't give a crap about anyone but themselves.

When a woman covers herself, I don't have an issue with her nursing in public at all. If the blanket falls down because the baby turns to see what's going on, that's a different issue too. But three times in the last year I've seen women pull their shirt OFF their shoulder and nurse their child openly at a nice restaurant - naked shoulder, naked breast flapping around. Sorry. I don't pay $50 for a nice meal to see some lady's tit and a baby hanging off it. I find it gross.

Although, hopefully clarified, I stand by my comments.

Andi

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Oh my god! The woman over there has breasts!!! Mercy! Lawks! It's the end of the world as we know it!

Isn't it sad the reaction isn't; "Aw, bless, look at that, how sweet and perfect"?

Why should someone smother their baby in a blanket because someone else is more considerate of their own discomfort than the comfort of the nursing mother and the baby?

Forgive me, but I was always under the impression that mother and babies were afforded some considerations on account of them being deserving of it as the future of the human race; let alone any "Awww, ickle baby" factor. And let's not forget we need to ban changing babies in public, as if a bare breast does that to people, lord only knows what a baby's bits being flashed in public would lead to.

Maybe a breastfeeding mother considers that she's entitled to act like a normal human being and feed her child in a comfortable fashion in public, especially since she's paying the same as everyone else. By 'normal' I mean; do you really think the rest of the world is as up-tight about breastfeeding? Or maybe you should ask to be seated in a "No sucking" area?

As for the comparison between farting and breastfeeding, it's only about half as offensive as it would be if I were a woman, and that's quite offensive enough.

In my opinon this is easily solved; look the other way, it's what you have a neck for. If you are seriously so traumatised by a naked breast being used to feed a child I think the solution is in getting therapy to overcome your revulsion at seeing something so natural, as you are obviously the one with the problem.

And also, what about perspective? Are you as vociferous in your opposition to people showing outward signs of racism or intolerance, or does a nursing mother just make an easy target?

Shame!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Oh get a grip Abaddon! "Shame!"??? I have an opinion and I'm free to express it. You don't like it? Tough titties. This board is free to discuss whatever, however our opinion stands on any subject. I decided to share mine. It's too bad that you can't be kind enough to allow those differences. My dad has some elder friends that remind me of you. If I don't agree with the general consensus am I not allowed to share? I "allow" you to voice many opinions I don't agree with, but I don't say "shame!" to you for that. I am not saying that women that breastfeeding flopping around aren't allowed to do it. They can do what they want. But I can also find it gross. It doesn't mean I'm intolerant. Me being intolerant would be complaining to the maitre'd and asking him to handle it. Or worse, going up to her and asking her to put her boob away. Is a nursing mother really going out of her way to cover herself?

Regarding racism and other "intolerance"...find I'm one of the most tolerant people here. I'm probably very accepting of many people YOU wouldn't. I have opinions just like everyone else. Just because I'm a so-called "Christian-fundy" does that mean I can't voice them?

• morty
    morty

I agree with Billygoat, good comparison...I myself beastfed both my children for a year and the other for a year and a half...I covered up if it made anyone uncomfortable, just for respect for the individual...I do remember my mother breast feeding all my siblings..( There are 5 of us)....I also remember her breast feeding my one brother and being 8 months pregnant with my other brother...This brought alot of attention to her, and brothers and sisters having a big problem with it...It was the only time I can remember that my mother stuck up for herself in our borg and told them all to hoop their forehead...I feel it is the best for a baby to be breastfed for as long as possible....Her dedication payed off for all her feeding you could say, none of us were ever sick as children and she believes it was due to the fact that we were all breastfed for at least 11/2 to 3 years...When I did all the math, she basicly breastfed for about 14 years straight.( I believe with a few couple of months breaks inbetween some of us)..Now thats a dedicated breastfeeding mother...Where ever she was, if we were hungry, we were fed whether she had a blanket or not....Its a natural thing, and I think it should be done where ever it needs to be...As far as being covered, I think it is a matter of preference.....It has never bothered me to see a mother feed her baby in public with no blanket, and I have brought my boys up to understand the reasons for a child needing to be fed in public with or without a blanket ...If our children are brought up and taught that it is a natural thing, then I think we would not have all the uproars about it....It starts at home as a child, for people to agree with it or not...Just my 2 cents..

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Well, I will just say that I certainly will never understand why some people have such a revulsion seeing a naked breast, in public, with a baby attached. I know even before I had kids, seeing a Mother breastfeed never bothered me.

One occasion comes to mind when my husband and I went to a small gathering at a friends. There were a few people we hadn't met before. One of those people was a woman who had recently given birth. Well, breast-wise she was extremely well-endowed. The baby started fussing and she sat down, dropped the shoulder of her blouse, and whipped one of those giant babies out, and being so big, laid the baby on her lap and dropped "it" into the baby's mouth. Whoa!

Years later, after having our own kids the subject of this woman, and her breastfeeding, came up between my husband and I. Dear husband admitted that he peeked at her at every opportunity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit