Chance or intelligent design?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

It is possible to reconstruct aminoacids in a lab, but not possible to make twenty aminoacids and then to connect and fold them into proteins.

If something was possible by chance then it would be possible in lab?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"If something was possible by chance then it would be possible in lab?"

By chance ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

While I am here, my thanks go to Cofty for his succinct summary and explanation of Evolution and Abiogenesis. And to others who have added to what his post said.

I appreciate what Cofty and you guys do.

(is the Nick lane Book "Life Ascending" , rather than "Arising" or are they different books please ?).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I found this an interesting comment on another Site about Abiogenesis :

" Before DNA was RNA, which serves a similar function but is less stable. Before that there was no life. The RNA came first - it forms spontaneously on basaltic glass. Life started when a bit of self-replicating RNA got caught up in a lipid bubble."

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Phizzy - Yes it's Life ascending. Actually that book only has one chapter on abiogenesis. A more thorough study of the subject is in The Vital Question. Warning - it's quite hard going.

• cofty
    cofty

EXb - where are you quoting from?

Who says amino acids can't combine into proteins in the lab?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Chance or intelligent design? - neither.

The correct answer is evolution by natural selection.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Evolution by natural selection is chance at the start.

Cofty I was quoting another member Vidquin from the last page.

my question is - something possible by chance (the origin of the simplest cell) should be possible to recreate in a lab?

but no you can never get something from nothing.

im talking right at the start the origin of life, the very first simplest cell, or the very first thing that is supposed to have evolved into the simplest cell.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Evolution by natural selection is chance at the start - what does this even mean?!

If you or others find abiogenesis difficult to accept, remember this: it only had to happen once. Just once, in all the billions of years this planet has existed.

something possible by chance (the origin of the simplest cell) should be possible to recreate in a lab? - it is possible. But how do we recreate the conditions exactly as they were, two or three billion years ago?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    It is possible to reconstruct aminoacids in a lab, but not possible to make twenty aminoacids and then to connect and fold them into proteins. For that one needs instructions as from the DNA in the nucleus.

Yes, they can be synthesized in a lab. The emphasis here on "synthesized."

syn•the•size \-ˌsīz\ verb

-sized; -siz•ing verb transitive 1830

1: to combine or produce by synthesis

2: to make a synthesis of

Inc Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary. (Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, Inc., 2003).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit