Chance or intelligent design?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JeffT
    JeffT

Credit to my sister (a retired infectious disease doc) for bringing this to my attention while I was fighting an infection.

Intelligent design supporters always like to ask where something (eyeballs, cells, brains, what have you) came from because it is too complicated have "just evolved." It needs an intelligent designer.

Fine. Why are my sinuses so badly designed?

• TD
    TD

The challenge in forging any argument is to be careful that it doesn't cut both ways. The value of a sword that hurts you as much as it hurts your opponent is debatable.

For JW's this happens at a very basic level as a direct result of their insistence that the entire antediluvian world was vegetarian.

Since the decomposition chain is an integral part of every ecosystem, who designed the scavengers and other detrivores that devour dead bodies? What form of vegetarianism is that? Who designed it? If it wasn't designed, did it happen by "chance" after all?

Most proponents of ID are more studied in their approach and avoid such obvious pitfalls, but this problem persists in even the most sophisticated ID arguments.

Consider, for example, the life-cycle of the protozoan responsible for malaria. Plasmodium falciparum is a very nasty little creature that reproduces both sexually and asexually, the former in mosquitoes and the latter in humans.

When a female Anopheline mosquito bites an infected victim, it consumes both male and female malarial gametocytes in the victim’s blood. Within the mosquito’s midgut, the male gametocyte undergoes a nuclear division, producing eight flagellated microgametes which fertilize the female macrogamete. The resulting ookinete traverses the mosquito gut wall, forming an oocyst on the outside of the organ. After a few hours, the oocyst ruptures, releasing hundreds of sporozoites into the mosquito body cavity where they migrate to the mosquito salivary gland.

Infection in humans begins with the bite of the infected mosquito. The sporozoites released from the salivary glands of the mosquito enter the bloodstream and invade liver cells. (Hepatocytes) During the next 14 days these parasites differentiate and undergo asexual multiplication resulting in tens of thousands of merozoites which then burst from the infected hepatocyte, into the blood stream. These merozoites now invade red blood cells (Erythrocytes) and undergo an additional round of multiplication, producing more merozoites. Some of these go on to invade additional erythrocytes and while others now differentiate into the sexual forms, male and female gametocytes. These gametocytes will be taken up by the next female Anopheline mosquito that bites.

This is a complicated process involving two distinct synchronous vectors and yet, malaria spreads at an alarming rate. The reason for this merciless efficiency is because P. falciparum facilitates its spread by actually making its human victims more attractive to mosquitoes.

Was this nastiness designed or was it "chance?" A Creator who would design such a thing is very far removed from anything we would view as "good" or "loving." And yet if it happened by "chance" than proponents of ID fall under the shadow of their own argument.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

ExBethelitenowPIMA, based upon another topic thread of yours I discern that by the "A" in "PIMA" you mean "agnostic".

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Yes Physically in mentally agnostic

the complexity coming over billions of years argument can’t apply to the simplest cell.

we now know the simplest cell is far more complex than a nuclear power station.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

TD

There is only one possible explanation: Since God is good by definition, there must be a good explanation which God will give in his good time, or the universe and life unjustly happened, and that is not possible inside this universe because nothing cannot become the universe and there are infinite odds every step of the way. There must be a mechanism of action and drive—God. Something must have no beginning for anything else to exist

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman:

There is only one possible explanation: Since God is good by definition, there must be a good explanation which God will give in his good time, or the universe and life unjustly happened, and that is not possible inside this universe because nothing cannot become the universe and there are infinite odds every step of the way. There must be a mechanism of action and drive—God. Something must have no beginning for anything else to exist

🤣

Begging the question, special pleading, gambler's fallacy.

• cofty
    cofty

ExB - At least three people have responded to your Op with long and fact-filled posts. Your only reply is to paraphrase your OP.

Am I wasting my time?

• cofty
    cofty
    the complexity coming over billions of years argument can’t apply to the simplest cell.

Why not?

Did you read my post above about endosymbiosis? Did you think about it or do any further reading? Do you want actual answers?

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Cofty,

Are you wasting your time?

In regards to ExBethelitenowPIMA, previously known as Llubrevlis,previously known as InDoubtBigTime , he of the moon landings conspiracy, then yes of course you are.

But to the those on the forum who aren't still walking whilst dragging their knuckles on the ground, then definitely you are not.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Yes I’m PIMA, physically in mentally agnostic. Sitting on the fence but I find the Bible very interesting to study in depth. As well as many other books including those that argued Darwin’s chance theory that something came from nothing.

Agnostic means one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god. : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something. political agnostics.

I am unwilling to commit to either intelligence or chance as to the origin of the universe, until evidence is overwhelming.

At the moment there still is no overwhelming evidence of the theory of evolution.

If this theory was true there real should be overwhelming evidence that is easy to understand and not the bullshit baffled brains technique.

So much mental gymnastics are required with Darwin’s theories or indeed new updated theories about something coming from nothing by chance.

I know full well this can be said from intelligent design side also, that God came from ‘time indefinite’ but there has to be something that never had a beginning or else what was before that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit