Ewart Chitty

by NoAbuse 93 Replies latest jw friends

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

"Because most brothers who were single and under the age of 45 had manual labor jobs.

Cleaning. Construction, auto repair etc...

In the home section of Bethel and some area of the factory you could wear work clothes but coming yo the table smelly or unkempt was a huuuuuuuuuge boy no. Like huge."

Wow. So a construction job where you have to stop what you're doing (at midday, just as you're hitting your stride/rhythm). Shower, dress and go to a sit down lunch. Then go back to work? Haven't they heard of lunch boxes? How the hell did anything ever get done?

• fulano
    fulano

How much did he drink Cadellin? We were used to drink a couple of rum/coke , whiskey/soda every night. At Patterson a couple of Margaritas a night (some Mexicans who made an art of the drinks) but not extremes...

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

When I worked in recycling I remember every Monday morning when we had the entire allotment of glass and aluminum that came in the the Henry street building it seem inpossible that one building could drink so much liquor and beer in a weekend...

It was literally like a frat house.

The brothers in their 30s and 40s all had good liquor... the younge brothers drank skanky beer. I still miss Mickeys malt liquor

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

No abuse, to be honest if you were young then you were worked to death. I remember when I was moved to the Office Furniture department we had to work the typical hours from the end of morning worship till 5 ish...

but also 3 days out if the week we would be back at it from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. in "the world" at abandoned office building dismantalling panel walls and scavenging steelcase desks and chairs to being g back to Bethel and we would repair them and ship them to other branches.

We cleaned the chairs with a chemical called "PERK" that was later said to cause cancer. We used it to clean the fabric of the paper gel walls and chairs.

When we got in early in the morning we still had to be up like everyone else and work normally. The shit was horrible

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

I want to thank everyone who told their story here. It was quite informative.

I only spent a short time at one large branch on construction work. They had just changed the rules about dining in a suit. They made a separate room for meals for those who were working construction.

They wanted to get the work done and quickly figured out that tradesmen aren’t going for all that horseshit. And the work wasn’t getting done, what with all the stoppages.

I didn’t see any drinking on site, but many were going out to bars at night.

So long ago ...that wasted time.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

I have to admit. I do not look at my time at Bethel as wasted. I was a kid from a very poor area who went to the big city... went to parties... drank alot... became a small time celebrity(bethelites were cool lol) ... mad alot of friends, and ultimately became an apostate at the young age of 22, but didn't officially leave until many years later.

Sure I almost died from toxic poisoning after cleaning out an abandoned food trap at the 25-30 building, but I can imagine there are tons of people who never got to have the same fun I did

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Fulano, I can't recall exactly but it was more than two or three drinks an evening. I was probably fairly puritanical, too, mind you and in Canada, we couldn't afford to drink much anyway!

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

Another rare photograph of Chitty. In this photo, we get a glimpse of Chitty leaving the area after inspecting lunch provisions at the district convention. It is unknown where he was going in this photo. Whether Greenlees visited with the attendees on this day is also unknown.

• fulano
    fulano

Wow , that’s a real crime investigation level.

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

In this photo, Chitty is seen taking in the speech of his mentor, Nathan Knorr.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit