Mexico branch......Now closing!!!

by krismalone 58 Replies latest social current

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I haven't read through all the responses, but there's been speculation in the past that COs would be dropped in favor of super-elders who get to fill CO responsibilities without actually being financially dependent on the WT. Maybe you have a superelder appointed to oversee four or five congregations. The WT could pick men who are retired, own their own businesses or otherwise have more time on their hands than the average elder.

With the GB's increasing embrace of modern technology, many of the former CO duties could be filled via direct videos with instructions from the GB. It would also help create separation (legal liability) between the various Watchtower corporations and the local congregations. Dropping COs in favor of scripted information direct from the GB would be in line with the general direction of the religion over the past decade or two.

As others have undoubtedly mentioned, COs couldn't be expected to work in addition to their current responsibilities. If anything, this conversation might reflect this particular CO's fear that his role is being phased out and that he'll soon be expected to care for himself in line with the way hundreds of lifelong Bethelites have been treated.

• freddo
    freddo

No reason why one CO couldn't cover two circuits with a substitute CO doing every other visit. This would save the borg $$$, keep control, and incentivize the brown-noser sub-CO's and any wannabees by giving status and recognition.

So 40 congs has one real CO visit per year and a different one of half a dozen or so sub CO's per year.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

beware rumours..potentially credibility destroying.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

If that CO thing turns out to be true, I already know which scripture they are going to use to justify it:

2 Thessalonians 3:8 - nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you.

Possibly it will be

Acts 18:3 - and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them,+ for they were tentmakers by trade.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

When are they going to introduce the change where Governing Body members get a job and support themselves. Ridiculous? I don't see why not, those that are young and able. They could work part time or part of the year, to pay their travel and living expenses.

Which makes me wonder, suppose a wife of one of the GB one day said, "I fancy getting a job", or even pursuing some sort of career. I wonder what they would say to that. Or what if they tried to stop her but she did it anyway. It's funny that the JW organisation is such a rigid system that such a natural everyday thing as a woman wanting a career or indepdendent income seems a far fetched notion at the top of the organisation. In other churchs, being a leader of then church is no barrier to the spouse having an indepdendent career.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

In order for this to occur they would have to change their vow of poverty and obedience. This would cause a major tax implication not for the branch or organization but for the CO. COs are member of the worldwide order of special volunteers of Jehovah's Witnesses. This would cause massive complications to payroll as well as Federal and State Income filings. Of course in other countries it may not be as complicated but the most COs and Bethelites are in the US.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

Acording to the jw.org website it self they closed 20 branch offices around the world in 2012, so time will tell

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Follow the $$$ money...........

Investments in 3rd world Mexico are risky in good times....with Trump in office for the next four years...suicidal?

This last 12 months the Mexican Peso has declined in value almost 30% to the dollar. The Mexican branch real estate has lost value in real dollars, and I doubt it will improve anytime soon. Watchtower may simply be cutting losses.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Just stop for a minute and think about this. If you were a CO (bare with me), and you were asked to work part time, how would you possibly do it? You are gone 5-6 days a week, leaving basically only one day per week to work. How can you support yourself on one day per week?

It just doesn't make any sense.

• alcyone
    alcyone

LevelThePlayingField, in communist Czechoslovakia that was the case. It was mandatory to have 'a normal work' and JWs were not registered religion, hence no religious ministers were allowed. Every CO except invalids, retired, etc. had a secular work. Circuits were smaller and he spend two weekends / month in one congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit