Mexico branch......Now closing!!!

by krismalone 58 Replies latest social current

• krismalone
    krismalone

A circuit overseer friend of mine serving in Latin America called me today to say hi. I asked him what's new and he dropped the news that they have received notification that the branch in Mexico will be closing!!

This branch also called the Central American branch (although located in Mexico) oversees all of Mexico's 800,000+ publishers plus all 7 countries of Central America of over 100,000 publishers. He told me that the Governing Body wants to direct everything from N.Y.

Another news flash was that the Governing Body will soon require all young Circuit Overseers to work for themselves and support themselves financially. The older ones will not be required to do so but only the younger ones.

3rd point mentioned was that the Governing Body wants the Circuit Overseers to work more independently, in other words not depend so much on the branch for direction. Perhaps to avoid liability and lawsuits.

My friend sounded so discouraged and very tired emotionally and burned out. He said he's ready to step down as a Circuit Overseer after over 2 decades of traveling work. He does not want to wait to be 70 to leave the Circuit work.

How can the Watchtower encourage young ones to pursue goals such as Missionaries, Special Pioneers, Bethelites and Circuit Overseers when they will leave them dead in the water without any financial support after giving their best years to the Watchtower Corporation? Those privileges don't mean anything anymore.

All this indicates that the Watchtower is hurting for money.

• Richard_I
    Richard_I
    I find this hard to believe because isn't there something like 3000 people at Mexico Bethel? I would believe they plan on drastically reducing the number of people there though, probably to around 1000. Also COs also have to take the "vow of poverty" which is supposed to prevent them from making money on the side. The independent note is likely true, the branch has been having a "hands off" policy with congregations for the last few years now.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    HUUUUUUUGE Hope it happens Soooooon.
  • steve2
    steve2

Need more than a phone call from "a circuit overseer friend in Latin America" to support this claim. As Richard_I said, Bethel staff numbers at branch office are one of the largest in world. I can envisage downsizing (as happened in Australia) but not closing. Besides, it would be a foolish CO who divulged such a move to "a friend" - especially over the phone.

• Finkelstein
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

I say BALONEY!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Wow just wow. If this is true. Seems an odd decision considering that mexico and it's neighbour's have more jws in it than in the usa alone. You would think they would want more direct over sight by having a HQ there.

If they are making theCOs responsible for supporting themselves. Then that will make the situation even more desperate than what it already is.

Wanting COS to be more independent. OMG I can't wait to see how that goes. If true I think this is very bad move for an organisation so bent on control. I'm taking a wait a see approach.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It does sound like a bit of a stretch being this branch covers many countries.

It would not be surprising some Elders setting up stories to see who's passing information around indiscreetly.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Need more proof please....

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

If true, the CO's will find out what it's like in the real world. Supporting themselves and still touring the circuits at the whim of the Governing Body. I can picture some very lively discussions between Mr. CO and Mrs. CO. And so much for the Vow of Poverty, or does that not apply to the CO? Of course the only thing they will have marketable skills for is working in a fast food joint or cleaning windows. [ Marketable skills = No skills ] How many people in Mexico want their windows cleaned? That should take care of the Poverty part.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit