BUSH MOST ADMIRED MAN IN THE US

by Yerusalyim 183 Replies latest social current

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    True or False? The world is using the same measuring stick when comparing the actions of America with the same actions of France and Russia.
    Again, I am NOT trying to justify any country providing arms to Iraq. I am trying to understand why the world is so outraged with the US, and are not equally outraged with France and Russia for doing the same thing. Could it be because it is popular to bash the US?

I'm sorry Growedup but don't you understand that I am equaly outraged with every countries involved ... You have to understand that once and for all ... Why are you keep on saying I/WE don't care about what others countries did ... I JUST GOT ENOUGH WITH WITH THE MESSES.

(but that's me) ... I guess Simon will give you his answer ...

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

FBF -

You are right! You have made it clear in many posts that you have equal disdain for the role any government plays when it comes to warfare - so I will exempt you from this question -- but don't be getting used to it! I just might find a question just for you!

growedup

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

...Ok ...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

French babyface has already made the point but once again.

The US will discover that opening the bidding for what oilmen call the "Iraqi Klondike" as wide as possible will not only maximise revenues but also defuse the charge that the US is just land-grabbing. This does not mean that US oil companies will lack a role. If the political situation stabilises quickly (that is a very big if), Exxon-Mobil and Chevron-Texaco will join the bidding, and even smaller firms, such as Conoco, may participate by joining consortia to spread the risk. ....

But the only sector in which the Americans are actually likely to dominate is in services subcontracts, where US firms such as Halliburton (which Cheney used to run) and Schlumberger already enjoy global pre-eminence for economic reasons. US firms will not monopolise Iraqi oil; it will be surprising if they eventually control more than half of the production.

Oil appears in Washington??s calculations about Iraq as a strategic rather than an economic resource: the war against Saddam is about guaranteeing American hegemony rather than about increasing the profits of Exxon.

I don't doubt the author of this piece is correct when asserting that the war was not intended to simply be a grabbing of oil fields. Such bold colonialism would have met a violent response from all the civilized world. The ambition was just as expressed. To broaden U.S. control over this vital piece of the world. But why? Why does the U.S. feel a strong need to control this particular region? Obviously the oil has to be a primarly reason. That plus some religious hopes pertaining to Israel seem the only reasons to have spent billlions and killed so many. The fact that U.S. corporations will benefit immensly from this is probably why he had such broad support when Congress voted. The question is a simple one, was it absolutely necessary. Because only when all other options have been exhausted should war be considered. Since nothing changed in Iraq in the years or months immediately prior to war, the answer must be, no. The only thing that changed was the American readiness to retaliate against anyone labeled a terrorist, and an administration that fostered that spirit.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

OTH, it makes alot of sense for good people to be MORE interested, MORE alarmed, and MORE resolved to "never-again" the situation when they find out about bad behaviour on the part of their own country. Now that is patriotism.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Well, we've about beat this one to death friends. Bush was selected as the most admired man in the US...not uncommon for a US president. This has turned into a debate about Bush and politics in general...let's move it to another thread...

BUSH in 04

Condi Rice in 08!

• IronGland
    IronGland

Have you condsidered a political career, Yeru?

• Simon
    Simon
    Well, we've about beat this one to death friends.

If only we could (see topic title) ...

Bush was selected as the most admired man in the US...

By an incredibly small minority and you jumped on it. Strangely, when there were polls with much larger samples from all over the world these were dismissed as unimportant and unreliable.

not uncommon for a US president.

One thing I find strange. People like you who demand respect for the president and "we should all follow them" etc... and yet, we don't see you giving the same respect to ... Clinton for instance. I guess you really mean only republican presidents deserve respect?

This has turned into a debate about Bush and politics in general...

duh !!! And what did you think it was going to be about?!

NEWS FLASH: Topic about Bush turns into debate about Bush and politics !! Shock horror.

let's move it to another thread...

No, lets not. Lets keep cheap political propaganda and drivel off the site.

• Swickley
    Swickley
    NEWS FLASH: Topic about Bush turns into debate about Bush and politics !! Shock horror.

Now THAT is funny!!! :)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Could it be because it is popular to bash the US? ---imallgrowedup

This is it in a nutshell - so why don't we all cut the crap and admit it.

I saw a documentary on the History Channel about Joseph Stalin the other day -- one of the most obnoxious persons in History -- killed many people -- but many Russians loved/still love him and revere him because he took the Soviet Union from a backward country to a Superpower.

George Bush is a nice guy -- why can't we just leave off bashing him -- lets change the subject to Ted Jaracz bashing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit