So, the Womens March ... What Is It For?

by Simon 401 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

It's easy to make claims like that azor, harder to point to the instances to back them up.

Do it or shut it.

• azor
    azor

Simon read your last comment if your not for them your a Nazi or a hater. There are many more where you paint with a broad brush. I wonder if you read your own words.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

My whole thing is they should call it what it is. It's a womens march/rally against trump/ current political administration and that is OK. But they should call it that. I feel its repackaged as something else which is intellectually dishonest. I am all for women marching, womens rights, 150%, even women marching and hating on trump. The modern version of feminists and many big civil rights movements are not holding to the formula set forth by people like MLK, who were extremely effective at getting things accomplished and not just making a scene. We knew exactly what they wanted to accomplish and they communicated it beautifully. That's my thing, and why i think I understand the OP

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon read your last comment if your not for them your a Nazi or a hater. There are many more where you paint with a broad brush. I wonder if you read your own words.

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm pointing out how many who are on the left think, which is a fact, that if you are not cheering for them that you are therefore a nazi. They did this with Trump voters - they were deplorable, racists etc... and it lost them the election.

And you think me pointing that out is somehow *ME* showing black / white thinking?

Pathetic.

• azor
    azor

Simon it's how you continue to equate this march with the extremes that do those things. Painting with a broad brush. Mentioning on the same post about those on the left that don't think like them show black and white thinking. This is black and white thinking in itself.

Bohm, Flipper, Mrs. Flipper, and I have not done this in our posts.

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon it's how you continue to equate this march with the extremes that do those things. Painting with a broad brush.

No. I have not said that ALL people on the march are XYZ. I am pointing out clear links between some who are extremist and how they seem to be getting broad support. I hope to god that some people go home from the march questioning the motives of some of the idiots they marched with.

I am also pointing out that the goals of the march seem rather vague.

These are facts that you simply don't like.

Mentioning on the same post about those on the left that don't think like them show black and white thinking. This is black and white thinking in itself.

No, that's like saying that pointing out racism is racist. It's a logical fallacy and makes no sense.

Anytime anyone says "the left" or "the right", only a complete idiot thinks it means the entire set of some political group with a neat boundary. Usually it's a shortcut to talk about a lot of the rhetoric coming predominantly from one side. Anytime you talk about "the right" it's the exact same thing.

Bohm, Flipper, Mrs. Flipper, and I have not done this in our posts.

I'm not talking to THEM, I'm talking to YOU. You are the one that made a claim, I'm challenging you on it and you are floundering and now appear to be trying to pull other people in to come and back you up.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I hope to god that some people go home from the march questioning the motives of some of the idiots they marched with -

• azor
    azor

I posted earlier that their was a difference between your posts and others that have posted similar things to yours. I'm not requesting back up I'm just mentioning them due to their recent posts similar to mine.

I didn't state "ALL". I stated that you are equating the 2.

This was day one of his Presidency and it was a shot across the bow. You are comparing this to other marches which were very different. Different time. Now defense is being played. Much harder. Trying to defend laws rather than enact them.

What do you propose? Standing idly by while the laws on the books get circumvented by executive order. Taking us back to the 50's and then start over on offense. I say the hell with that.

The right didn't get back in power by demonizing and equating the extreme elements on their side. They created a big tent. Even for the alt right mitigating their extremes by focusing on what they had in common and promoting their fear.

They get it. Emotion is where it's at. I guess an advantage of their religiosity.

• Simon
    Simon

You still have still failed to back up your accusation - you resorted to claiming that me pointing out example of the black / white thinking of the left is black white thinking which is pitiful.

You are comparing this to other marches which were very different. Different time.

No. The difference is clear goals and marches that were one tactic of a greater plan to change legislation.

I've no problem with people having a march if the goal is to show how many people will march. But if that's the purpose, say that it is the purpose.

What do you propose? Standing idly by while the laws on the books get circumvented by executive order. Taking us back to the 50's and then start over on offense. I say the hell with that.

In a democracy you abide by the law. There was just an election, the left lost because of their failed identity politics and rhetoric. People are now fighting the wrong battle - Trump won, you can't change that. He's going to pass legislation that you wont like, unlucky. It's probably better to focus on making sure he's a one term president though than a never ending dynasty which I think is what he fancies.

Right now, the left seems intent on giving him a guaranteed 2nd term by trying to deny their failures and mistakes.

Sure, fight every wrong piece of legislation ... but a march doesn't really do that. Don't forget that it wasn't just Trump that got elected - the Dems lost up and down the ballot, they pretty much lost everything, as a judgement on Obama and the dems they were pretty brutally rejected.

To stand up to Trump will require reaching out to people on the other side because that side holds all the cards. The left is pushing them away and making that less likely.

Seems like a stupid plan to me, but enjoy the marches.

• flipper
    flipper

Bless your heart, azor. This kind of arguing is exhausting and I sure hope it accomplishes something.

My personal view of the whole march is that the chickens are coming home to roost. The lower classes are getting desperate. It's kind of like panic. To ask what they are marching for - I think what they all have in common is a sense of urgency.

The new government has a good portion of people who think God favors them. Yikes. The poor may be thought of expendable. There are plenty of them, after all.

Some of the marchers have a very clear purpose and hopefully will organize. Some are unstable to begin with. Some are the left's Trump personality - Madonna.

I am 61 - my generation has seen the steady growth of inequality. A lot of us have been working full time, 2 jobs at times, have never gotten ahead because of the real wages falling. It was different for my parents. They don't want to see it - they voted for Trump.

Trump may "create jobs" but what will the wages be.

Overall I don't have a lot of hope for change. Look what happened to Arab Spring and other uprisings in recent years. You can vote people in but if the ruling class cant bribe or blackmail them, they can always threaten them.

I hope a little caffeine will lift my mood this morning.

Mrs. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit