Awake Magazine - No Longer Being Printed?

by JWTom 61 Replies latest jw friends

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

It sounds like to me that the Awake was put to sleep...as in euthanized!🤣🤣🤣

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

TBH, I never really noticed there were no 2021 issues - but indeed, nothing is on the website.

And no official announcement has been made.

It is indeed quite bizarre - to end a magazine printed for over 100 years (a significant achievement in any event, regardless of whether a JW publication or not) by just simply not printing it anymore.

I guess the practice of quietly dismissing things that have outlived their usefulness (such as middle-aged Bethelites) continues even into the publishing field.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

blame Min for starting this rumour!

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6586295462658048/what-do-you-want-talk-about-regarding-jehovahs-witnesses?

minimus2 days ago

I think a lot of people here know the Live Forever and Babylon books and even the Awake! Magazine

well done Min.

• asp59
    asp59

Think there was some stuff about not continuing the magazine years ago. Current events and such, people could just Google any information they wanted. No need for awake.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

So apparently "Awake" has been put to sleep .

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding "Got rid of DOs" what is meant by "DOs"?

Is it really true that practically all the young JWs are leaving once they turn 18 years old?

Before the Society downsized (and dumbed down) the science content of the 'Awake!" I appreciated the bound volumes of the Awake! more than the vast majority of the other books of the WT Society. I sold off nearly all of my WT bound volumes but I retained bound volumes for the years 1966 - 2008 (many of those I bought used after I stopped attending the Kingdom Hall).

Regarding the Babylon the Great Has Fallen book I sold my copy of it on eBay years ago, but now I kind of miss it (though I can read it online and on the WT CD-ROM library). I had bought my copy at a thrift store because when I tried to order it (or was that the Then is Finished the Mystery of God book instead?) from the Society more than 20 years ago it was too late since the WT had ceased publishing it. Yesterday I noticed that nice condition copies of it sell for at least $15 (including shipping costs) on eBay. Maybe I once had a copy of the Babylon the Great Has Fallen when I was under 10 years old; I'm not sure.

Kingdom Halls will probably reopen soon since things are starting to turn somewhat back to normal now that much of the USA population has received a Covid-19 vaccination.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

It feel Asleep.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I don't recall the exact dates, but the Awake was first published I think about the time of WW2 or shortly afterwards. In the Russell days there was just the Watchtower. Russell had stated he only wanted one magazine; it seems to me that he may have even had it in his 'will' that there would only be one magazine, hence when Rutherford started the Golden Age there was a bit of a brouhaha. Then the Golden Age ceased and was replaced by Consolation for a while. Only after Rutherford died Consolation was replaced by Awake.

Maybe they are going to replace the Awake with something else, completely digital probably.

• hoser
    hoser

It could be part of their rebranding effort. A new exciting announcement for this falls AGM

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Here's how they will spin it.

"Dear brothers, we are pleased to inform you that because of unprecedented growth we will no longer be printing the "awake" magazine! Surely we see jehovahs hand directing his organization more than ever as we are near the conclusion of this system of things....yada yada yada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit