Have we become what we despise so much?

by Tenacious 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I often see quite a lot of condescending patriarchy from some of the guys on this site - but I understand where this is coming from - humiliation I think - so in order to feel better they have to put down those whom they consider weaker

I don't see it this way. Any one who has been a JW and have woken up, are bad idea vigilantes. We at one time would allow emotion or fear dictate our actions, fear of dying at Armageddon, fear of disappointing our family. Being awake you may be less afraid of peoples feelings especially when the actual truth is at stake. Making concessions for "feelings" got a lot of us in this mess in the first place.

• cofty
    cofty
    I often see quite a lot of condescending patriarchy from some of the guys on this site

You have "often" seen "quite a lot" - really?

"Patriarchy" is a pathetic meme of victim culture.

Personally I never consider whether my remarks are addressed to a male or a female. Why should it matter?

• Dagney
    Dagney
    The way I see things is, if the Bible is true, it will stand up to close scrutiny. The same with evolution.

A talking snake?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

reemindfade

I often see quite a lot of condescending patriarchy from some of the guys on this site - but I understand where this is coming from - humiliation I think - so in order to feel better they have to put down those whom they consider weaker

I don't see it this way. Any one who has been a JW and have woken up, are bad idea vigilantes. We at one time would allow emotion or fear dictate our actions, fear of dying at Armageddon, fear of disappointing our family. Being awake you may be less afraid of peoples feelings especially when the actual truth is at stake. Making concessions for "feelings" got a lot of us in this mess in the first place.

but weren't we bad idea vigilantes when we were Jehovahs witnesses especially as our thinking then was also that truth was at stake?

re: making concessions for feelings allowed us to function as a group.

Making concessions for feelings now in this context helps to enable people to think and sample other ways of being in the world and also help with any future relationships we may want to cultivate. Learning to trust after your trust was betrayed doesn't mean you will be misled again.

Good ideas are related to emotion and feelings otherwise how would you make the assessment that they are good?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Personally I never consider whether my remarks are addressed to a male or a female. Why should it matter?

cofty: why should I bother to reply to an oft repeated mantra?

"Patriarchy" is a pathetic meme of victim culture

victim culture? havent' you seen what victims can do and achieve? feminists, gays and lesbians, victims of abuse - physical and sexual. you dare to dismiss such as pathetic memes of victim culture?

victim culture is strong, having intelligence born of oppression and standing ready to fashion a new world out of its misery, war and bloodshed. If you stand back a little you may learn something from them.

• cofty
    cofty
    you dare to dismiss such as pathetic memes of victim culture

No I didn't as you well know.

Is it your reading comprehension or your intellectual honesty that is at fault?

It was the pathetic whinging about "patriarchy" that I dismissed as "victim culture".

victim culture is strong

Victim culture is pathetic and infantilising. It is self-righteous people taking offense on behalf of others for imagined wrongs.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    but weren't we bad idea vigilantes when we were Jehovahs witnesses especially as our thinking then was also that truth was at stake?

Nooooope. We were selling bad ideas. And clearly you haven't left far enough from the organization to realize that it was group think. As i said in great detail earlier, the things that create heated debates on here were not personal ideas/thoughts we could entertain before, but were censored and spoon fed to us by "mother". Religion/God, Politics, World affairs. We were provided the answer we were suppose to give to all those things. No its not the same.

There is no spoon feeding out here. Everyone is on their own. And I see the debates as a healthy sign of that very thing.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty

Victim culture is pathetic and infantilising. It is self-righteous people taking offense on behalf of others for imagined wrongs

okay - so the above would include lawyers acting on behalf of victims ((Candace Conti's lawyer (Rick Simmons) comes to mind. Also Thomas Paine, Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Buddha, together with a long long list of people who have fought injustice.

• Landy
    Landy
    I was disappointed to find that rather than offering support that would "heal" and allow the "caregiver" to "move on" and no longer need a support group, that the group/group leader was actually functioning to perpetuate all problems and so I quickly departed.

When threads collide

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5913969285922816/willl-here-2030

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty

you dare to dismiss such as pathetic memes of victim culture

No I didn't as you well know.

Is it your reading comprehension or your intellectual honesty that is at fault?

It was the pathetic whinging about "patriarchy" that I dismissed as "victim culture".

I don't practice Iteration and no amount of insult from you will cower me into doing so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit