Are The Holidays Bothering You At All?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

This is the first time I say, "Merry Christmas" back to someone. I'm getting a few presents for my family. I can see why, though, some hate Christmas. It can get expensive!

• Dansk
    Dansk

IT?S ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Only that we never got to celebrate them! Thanks to WTBS protocol

• minimus
    minimus

I STILL LOVE THAT HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Thanks Minimus

• freelife
    freelife

As a newly freedmind I an very pumped up about them.Jump For Joy It may be expensive but I need to make up for almost 26 years of lost time.Merry Christmas Santa

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Yes it is bothering me. I want to buy more but my money will not allow it. Anyone have some cash to spare?

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hi Minimus,

I think I figured out my view on Christmas. I like the holiday for the lights and the trees and the gatherings of friends and family, but I don't like the consumerism or obliged giving. I'm opposed to consumerism anyway, and I'd much rather get someone a present when I didn't feel under pressure to do so, and when it could be more spontaneous. I think I'd be likely to get you a better present if you weren't on a checklist.

So I told my non-Witness family, "Don't get me anything. I'd rather just spend time with you. I don't really need any thing anyway."

My neighbor up the street is an ex-Catholic, and she shares almost the exact same view. The only exception is that since she did the traditional Western Christmas for so long, she expresses her views with a bit more force than me (it's really fun to watch ). Personally, I feel kind of liberated to know that I can do Christmas on whatever terms really suit me - not the JW terms, and not the terms handed down by the majority culture. I like that. That's true freedom.

Just my take on it.

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

On a side note, my neighbor and I were discussing what would be the most politically correct thing to say for a season's greeting. After all, you can't say Merry Christmas, because the person might be Jewish. And the reverse is true. Or the person could be atheist or agnostic. So we figured you could merge everything together and just say:

Happy Agnosticas Day

(equals: Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Have a nice day)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Just the crappy music.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit