Are The Holidays Bothering You At All?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Only that I wish I had more money to give more people gifts! I love giving gifts! I also think the whole consumeristic attitude is a bummer, but, I don't engage in it..........I give when I can..........some of my acquaintances will get their gifts after the holidays..............I love your greeting, SNG! I might try that on a couple of people here at work!!!!!

Terri

• minimus
    minimus

FLIP-----I love your comments. What you're saying is the WBTS better be grateful Christmas is celebrated!

• Flip
    Flip

Exactly Mini? - after all these years it's obvious that the Borg needs this ?Old World? for its financial success more than this 'Old World' needs to be knee deep in the Borg?s pulp fiction.

However, I suspect there are quite a few 'worldly' financiers, pulp and paper manufacturers, IBM salesmen, and Real Estate agents with a vested interest as suppliers to the Borg that would disagree.

Flip

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Truth be told, all the holiday celebrations throughout the years, add to that people's birthdays, and it can run you 100x more than the silly contributions given in the WTBTS.

So, as my mother always tells me... "no situation is all good or all bad". However, I am having a better time these holidays.

No problem at all reciprocating greetings. Have even thought about giving some gifts, but I'm not absolutely sure yet.

DY

• avishai
    avishai
    I work in a very mixed city and my workmates include Hindu, Sikh and Moslem people, but they all celebrate Christmas with great enthusiasm

Is not America the "Land of the Free"?

Not since "Political correctness". Now everyone is a big whinger (love that term, thanks brits!). You cant do this, or do that 'cuz you'll "hurt someones feelings". Everyone in this country has turned into big wussy's

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Only the music. And that's because they have been piping it through the overhead paging system here where I work, for the past 3 weeks.

If I hear "Let it Snow" by Boyz II Men, 1 more time, I'm going to scream !

• undercover
    undercover

I've never been big on Christmas. I've never really missed it. I don't want to fool with the tree, ornaments, lights and all that stuff. Saving money from having to buy gifts for so many people has always been a plus also.

What I do "miss"(even though raised a JW) are the family gatherings and parties. I hated not being able to share in the holiday cheer. JWs always put down worldly people as "fake" because they showed holiday spirit. I actually like the holiday season. People do seem to have and exhibit a good spirit. I like to see the homes and businesses when decorated for the holidays(if done with some taste). It's one month out of the year that everyone can slow down from life just a little and enjoy family and friends and make new friends. I have been to several holiday parties this year. They have been a lot of fun.

I still have trouble responding to "Merry Christmas" with a return "Merry Christmas" or even a "Happy Holidays". I find myself saying "Thank You". I remember as a kid that we were instructed to say to anyone who told us "Merry Christmas" that we didn't celebrate Christmas and explain why. I dreaded having people say "Merry Christmas" to me because I was supposed to teach them the "pagan" history of Christmas and explain that they were dishonoring Jesus, all because they said something nice to me. JWs say it's a good way to informal witness. I say it's a good way to piss someone off. Here's somebody who's trying to be nice and wish you something good and a non fun-loving, joyless, ingrate has to make a federal case out of it. They're being nice. Accept it and return a nice saying back or at least say "Thank You".

• minimus
    minimus

What's your average amount set aside for Christmas presents???

• Mulan
    Mulan
    That makes me feel bad. He needs to know that I for one, do not have any bad feelings over the years we were witnesses.

He knows it Rachel, and the boys have told himt he same thing, but it doesn't make the hurt go away. There are just so many regrets. I was pushing him the other day to try and find out why he was in such a bad mood, and so "fly off the handle" angry much of the time lately, and this came out. Talking about it, made it better too. Most of us went through a lot of anger when we learned the truth of things, but he suppressed his anger because I was still a loyal dub. Now it is coming out.................but he is better.

He had read a novel too, where a man lived his whole life, unable to do what he really wanted to do, and it made him think back on his own life and the goals he had before they became witnesses, and that he abandoned because it didn't fit in with a JW life. It made him profoundly sad.

• Princess
    Princess

I understand. I just feel bad that he feels bad. He needs "A Wonderful Life" experience. I have a hard time believing things would have been that much better if we hadn't been dubs.

I'm glad the boys reassured him too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit