Are The Holidays Bothering You At All?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If I hear 1 more Christmas song, I'm going to explode.

• Banshee
    Banshee

The Holidays are not bothering me at all! I love celebrating them and I really enjoy singing the Christmas carols much more than I enjoyed singing the Kingdumb Melodies.

• bebu
    bebu

I think the only time the Christmas carols bothered me is when I'd go into a mall or store right after Halloween and the muzak was already Christmas stuff. If you are in a job or situation where you have to hear them endlessly, they can drive you nuts. Fortunately, I don't have that situation of overkill.

Drape some nice strings of light around your doorways/windows, light a few candles, put some scented oil (cinnamon is good) on the lightbulbs, and relax. The effect is like a nice, warm bath, and hopefully can soothe you if you're bothered.

bebu

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The only bothersome things are hiding my gift exchanges from mom and being the only one not knowing the words to any Christmas carols.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

My friend tells the story of when he worked at Safeway (a supermarket), stocking dairy. The music at Safeway comes from a satelite feed, so all stores have the exact same music at all times. Well, one day he was working late, listening to the steady stream of Christmas songs. After every song, your mind would lean forward a bit, holding onto the irrational hope that perhaps the next song wasn't a Christmas song. All of the sudden, at that moment, "Oh-bla-di, Oh-bla-da" came on. Every one looked at each other with crazed eyes, and spontaneous dancing broke out all over the store. (Picture the night guys doing the Watusi in the aisles.) It was four minutes of sheer bliss. Or the story goes.

SNG

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    This is the first time I say, "Merry Christmas" back to someone

Me too. Feels weird doesn't it?

Although I do enjoy Jennie and Jackson's reaction to the whole thing. That's a neat dad thing.

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

We are loving it - I accept that it can be expensive, but so what.....as long as the kids have a good time.

This is our first proper Xmas, and we are making sure that we enjoy ourselves. The invites for parties are coming in, people are wanting to come and visit (and don't feel awkward).

The tree looks great, the pressies are nearly all wrapped, and the last minute shopping gets done tomorrow.

Mr NW (Chris) is trying to be cool about the whole thing, but he is just as excited as the children.... as the saying goes, men just never grow up!!!!!!!!

Anyway have a lovely holiday one and all. HAPPY CHRISTMAS

The Nightwarriors here in London!!!!!!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Dave is having kind of a hard time over it, this year. He is feeling so unhappy over all the wasted years, and the memories we should have given our children. He has had some very angry moments over it, maybe days. He told me last week, that when he was 15, his parents announced they weren't celebrating Christmas anymore, and were becoming JW's. He said he never stopped missing it. In 41 years, he had never told me that. For having his life turned upside down at 15, he sure became a good elder, as far as JW standards go.

• Princess
    Princess

That makes me feel bad. He needs to know that I for one, do not have any bad feelings over the years we were witnesses. So we don't have any childhood Christmas memories. I have great memories of our trips to California and Hawaii on a regular basis. Probably would not have been possible if we were celebrating birthdays and holidays. There just wouldn't have been any money. Anyway, the point is, (and I'm speaking for my older brothers too) we have great memories of camping trips and all kinds of other things we did together as a family. I never felt like I missed out on Christmas. I really don't have any problem with it.

The holidays never bother me. I love the music and the lights. I love to bake and have people over for parties and dinner. It's just a ton of fun. We are creating new memories every year for the kids. Christmas is awesome.

• minimus
    minimus

I've never celebrated Christmas, either. Do I feel bad about that? No. But I will enjoy my remaining years the best way I know how. So tell Dave to ENJOY life NOW!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit