Are The Holidays Bothering You At All?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

No. The Holidays are not bothering me...I must admit I have enjoyed the holidays so far.. I love my tree.. I stop and pause and look at it often. I can remember passing by homes with trees through the years and always was a bit envious not to have one. When I reset up my tree at my new apartment this week, I put it by my sliding doors, so that anyone going by, could also enjoy the view.. perhaps a child in a JW car, missing out just like I did.. can find a little joy in the view.

I must admit, I find myself still turning the radio stations when the xmas music comes on though.. they don't bother me as a part of a "pagan" holiday as I tried to think of them in the past.. but they are still not my style for the most part. Although I did hear a song on an R&B station I enjoyed that was about Christmas.

I have mentioned in other threads about feeling bad my kids didn't grow up with Christmas. It's funny, I feel like I took a joy from them, but I still am not upset at my mom for her choices and us missing out growing up. I guess I have only ill feelings toward the WTS, not those in it.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I hated xmas well before I became a JW -- strange there are bits I now like -- such as the parties --seeing family (well those that are not in da troof) -- plenty of good food around -- not too bad

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

the thing that bothers me most about the holidays is the unbearable loneliness. everyone else is running off to visit their family, and I have no one but my two boys, because everyone else in my family is a JW, or in California, or dead. my boyfriend's parents don't like the fact that I have children, they don't want to be "instant" grandparents, so I'm not invited to holiday functions yet. I really fucking hate Thanksgiving and Christmas. I try to be happy for the boys' sake so I don't ruin Christmas for them, but inside I just want to curl up into a ball and and cry myself to sleep til New Year's Day.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Aww... poor luckynun. Big pinhug.

CZAR

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

LuckyNun, you can email me anytime you want: [email protected] I only have the boyfriend and his family, who have been very good to me. Just after I got out, I spent the first few holidays by myself........it was tough! Then, as I made friends, they made sure I wasn't alone for holidays. Now, I don't mind it so much, I just keep myself happy! I welcome alone time, unlike when I was a depressed, anxious, neurotic Dub. I've grown tremendously since leaving that awful organization.

Email me anytime!

Hugs,

Terri

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

minimus,

What's your average amount set aside for Christmas presents???

2 hours' wages per paycheck, starting October 1st. Not more than $200, but I have a short gift list. It doesn't hurt because I pay as I go. GentlyFeral
  • Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I can see why, though, some hate Christmas. It can get expensive!

Personally, I feel kind of liberated to know that I can do Christmas on whatever terms really suit me - not the JW terms, and not the terms handed down by the majority culture. I like that. That's true freedom.

I think these are both great comments! But Christmas is NOT just about pressies. It's about sharing, loving, LIVING! We hardly had a chance to get ANY pressies (even though we'd brag about how we could do it year round, it NEVER happened!) for years and years! Enjoy the little things this holiday. A fine glass of wine. The lights in your neighborhood. The smell of turkey roasting or a can of chili warming. The bad jokes that a new friend tells. Reminiscing with old friends. Christmas Spirit is about SAVORING. Let the seconds tick by instead of fly. You can enjoy even the least expensive thing if you take a moment to fully experience it. Don't gobble down the fudge. Let it soak and sit in your mouth.

If you don't have a religious belief behind the holiday, there is still so much to gain from it. But we have control of it...with our attitudes!

Love to all,

Andi

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Don't gobble down the fudge. Let it soak and sit in your mouth.

Uh-oh. Too late. I've gobbled pounds of it I'm afraid. *shrinking away to stand in the corner*

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

thanks, Sunny

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

hahahaha! I <3 Clive Barker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit