BREAKING NEWS - SADDAM CAPTURED!!!!!!!!!

by Xandria 79 Replies latest social current

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Celebratory Gunfire Rings Out in Baghdad AP
    1 hour, 27 minutes ago

By DAFNA LINZER, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Celebratory gunfire rang out across the Iraqi capital, radios played festive music, drivers honked their horns and passengers on buses and trucks chanted "They got Saddam, they got Saddam," as word of the former dictator's capture spread from car to car and shop to shop on a sun-filled Sunday afternoon.

AP Photo

U.S. troops stationed around the country cheered when they heard the news and held back as Iraqis fired their guns in the air. Iraqi journalists gave U.S. officials a standing ovation and cheered wildly when video of a captured Saddam was shown during a news conference announcing the arrest.

But not everyone was happy and many said they wanted proof that the man in U.S. custody is the real Saddam Hussein ( news - web sites ).

"I heard the news, but I'll believe it when I see it," said Mohaned al-Hasaji, a 33-year-old who owns a cosmetics shop on Baghdad's bustling Karada street. "They need to show us that they really have him."

Outside his shop a paper boy sold copies of Sunday's edition of Shaheed, or the Witness, a weekly newsmagazine whose cover story was graced with photos of Saddam and banned headline that asked "Who's the real Saddam?"

At the Palestine hotel, where foreign journalists and American contract workers are staying, Abil Daoud was sad.

"We lost our only hope and now we are stuck with the Americans," said Daoud, who is employed by U.S. troops as a local security guard. Some called Saddam a "coward" for getting caught. Others were glad he didn't die a martyr.

"He killed my son Mohammed and he tortured his people," said Halem a-Jassen, 40, as she celebrated in the street.

Members of the Iraqi Communist Party, which was banned and persecuted under Saddam's rule, passed around bags of candy and raised red flags outside their party headquarters.

A Shiite cleric named Azhad al-Faili thanked the Almighty "for ridding the world of the tyrant."

Ayet Bassem, who wore the traditional black cloak of religious Muslim women, was overcome with a sense of relief.

"Things will be better for my son," she said, clutching the hand of six-year-old Zenalbadin. "My son now has a future."

With random gunfire in the streets, she said it was time to go home and leave the shopping for later.

Worried shopkeepers hurried to close up their businesses early and get home before the shooting increased.

Among them was Yehya Hasson.

"I'm very happy. Now we can start a new beginning."

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Time for some old fashioned Texas justice: give him a fair trial and then hang him

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The DNA test results are in...it's really Saddam. PRAISE GOD!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    PRAISE GOD!

Allah akbar!

• High Castle
    High Castle

First I am happy for the Iraqi people.

Second, since much of the posting on this site deals with inconvenient facts, facts that contradict received dogma I feel the need to mention one of many inconvenient facts: Non of the 19 men who crashed the planes into the WTC buildings and the Pentagon was an Iraqi. All but possibly one were Saudi - a nominal ally.

• Funchback
    Funchback

I think that as long as he is in captivity, America and their allies will see increased terrorist attacks by those demanding his release. I hope that whatever happens will be swift and just.

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

While this is good news, groan it may mean Bush will get re-elected. You can be sure he'll be on the news crowing about it. Now Saddam can be tried and placed into the history books as one of the most notorious characters that ever lived in the east.

• Shakita
    Shakita

The only true punishment for Saddam would be to inflict just a small amount of terror and horror that he subjected his own people to. I say he should be raped in front of his family, have a few arms or legs cut off or crushed, starve him just to the point of death, lower him into a vat of acid, have his eyes gouged out, then behead him.

Mrs. Shakita

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Justice is coming...Bush speaking now

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Now that Saddam is out of the picture (for which I join the chorus in gratitude), perhaps now we can concentrate our efforts on locating and capturing Osama.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit