How did you feel when you found out "the truth about the truth"?

by stuckinarut2 75 Replies latest jw friends

• pile2222
    pile2222

Hi, I´ve been an "inactive" JW for about 12 to 13 years now. Just recently I have looked and read more about JWs on the internet. I am quite shocked about what I´ve read and watched on YouTube so far. My mother and older sister are devout JWs. When I told them about the sex scandals in Australia they just said that they won´t believe this "slander". So I will not tell them anything anymore. I am still very confused as to what and whom to believe. I came across this website: http://thirdwitness.com

and I am kind of convinced (at least about the UN membership) that the GB didn´t really do anything wrong here. As for the other 2 points I´m not so sure yet of whom to believe. On one hand it sounds logical what this "third witness" writes about the sex scandals but on the other hand, there have been some victims that won cases and got a lot of compensation money from the Organization; so there must be some truth about the scandals.

I am still new to this and very confused about WHAT the GOAL of the GB is in all of this. If it is just about the money, then why aren´t they living a luxurious life in the Caribbean?

Is Armageddon just a myth? Why did Jesus say that following him would be a struggle? Why did he command his followers to go out preaching if some say that we get saved simply by the "grace of God" and don´t have to do a lick to get into his Kingdom??? If the 144,000 are just symbolic, who are they? Who is the "faithful and discreet slave"? When I read the publications of JWs and went to the meetings and had a Bible study, their explanations all sounded very logical to me. So who can explain these things better? If all religions have a "core good message", why did Jesus say that NOT all would be accepted?

I hope many of you can write their comments of what they think.

Thank you!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome Pile.

I know where you're coming from and appreciate your viewpoint.

As for whether the WBT$ is guilty of double standards with the U.N. thing, consider this: Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

I have finished my faith journey and can confidently say, god doesn't exist and the Jesus as presented in the Bible didn't either. there is no reliable, untampered evidence outside of the Bible for Jesus.

I am still new to this and very confused about WHAT the GOAL of the GB is in all of this. If it is just about the money, then why aren´t they living a luxurious life in the Caribbean?

That would take the money they use to protect paedophiles. Also, it isn't just about money, they enjoy power and abusing others. A Caribbean haven would detract from their credibility.

You're on the right track, allow yourself to over-ride the cult control that has you captive to protecting the leaders. You've been duped. Recognise it and overcome it.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

I would love to get the author of http://thirdwitness.com on phone, Skype whatever.

There are so many things left out that MATTER!!

Just one little tiny example related to his point on 607 which will prevent you from getting past the first page.

Initially Russell who took the idea of applying Daniel's prophecy to calculating the beginning of Jesus' parousia from Barbour (spelling, Miller etc) initially said the Pyramid of Giza's dimensions calculated to 1874. NOT 1914 at least not yet.

Suddenly miraculously in 1903 Russell then had to produce "new light" because well obvious 1874 was buptkis so he inexplicably changed the dimensions so they added up to 1914.

So the author of this site left these key pieces out. We haven't gotten off his first page on the subject yet btw.

Originally in calculating the Gentile Times ( I won't bore you with the entire prophecy & calculations here) the original date wasn't even 607 BCE it was 606! Why well that's because they forgot about the zero year!

Before I forget we still haven't left his first page on the matter. Now how do JW's arrive at 606 errr I mean 607 well they simply add the 70 years of desolation to the date factually known and accepted by all of 539 when Babylon was sacked by Cyrus.

So we just add 70 years to 539 and we get 609 wait what???

This is where it starts to get interesting again. Now I won't go into it in detail but it was 500 miles or more depending on route to return to Jerusalem when Cyrus decreed in his first year of rule to let the exiles return (see Ezra).

It order for this to work the exiles MUST return in 537. This cannot be proven Again can't go into that detail but you should look into the commiseration year of Cyrus and Darius.

Pyramids, 606, Nudging Pyramid inches to go from 1874 to 1914, iffy 537 and we haven't really gotten off the first page.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I was very amazed at the fact that an otherwise reasonably intelligent person (me :-)) could ever have believed all this complete and utter nonsense for so long...

• pile2222
    pile2222

Thank you for your answers. But Punkofnice, why do you quote the Bilble (Luke 16:10) when you don´t believe in it anymore? Hahaha.

I wonder why they DON´T act on what they publish. Throw out pedophiles and support the victims by allowing them freedom of choice if they want to go to the police. That is what the publications write but reality seems different by all the stories I´ve read all over the internet. Why hang on to these sick people? It would make much more sense to act at once. That would show EVERYBODY that pedophiles are NOT tolerated at all! That would show that they are different from other religions who just send their priests somewhere else. I just don´t get it! It would save the organization a lot of money too.

Hadriel: Thank you too for your answer. I did not go in too deep into this 607 B.C.E. topic because math is NOT my strenght and I didn´t read the entire account of that at thirdwitness.com because it´s just too complicated for me. But I get your point. But I was always told by the brothers that there is no YEAR ZERO!

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@pile2222

So if you were always told there is no year zero why wasn't Russell "inspired" with Holy Spirit to get it right from the get go instead of error and use 606?

Honestly there's no way to defend this teaching. At this point I could do an entire conference for two days on it. unfortunately as you mentioned it is in fact complicated.

There is where they're able to get a way with it. No one wants to put the time in to really understand why it is false.

If people want to believe without knowing for themselves there's nothing you can do about that.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Sorry for bumping my own thread, but with so many new ones here, it would be interesting to hear from them.
  • Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    I was shocked, especially after reading coc, and thinking to myself.....I knew it, I just flipping knew it!!!!
  • Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Stuck, I was devastated. I cried solidly for about 6 days. My DH was worried. I actually wanted to end it all. Thank goodness for the people on this forum. Words cannot express my gratitude.

• Thirteenth tribe
    Thirteenth tribe

Why have I ignored this knot in my stomach and where's the exit. It's not even been a week since I handed in my disassociation letter and I feel anxious, angry and confused about a couple of ones I cared about.

What helps with this plethora of emotions ? Alcohol ? 🙄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit