Do You Think Disfellowshipping Is The Worst Thing About Jehovah’s Witnesses?

by minimus 68 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The longer I’m out the more I feel that disfellowshipping is cruel. I understand the Organization tells parents to not even accept emails or texts from their disfellowshipped children. While I was a Witness they tried to discourage families from association but there was some leeway if it was considered necessary business to interact. Of course many families would use technicalities in order to get around the Society’s directive. But they appear to be worse than ever.

What is your experience regarding the congregation’s actions on disfellowshipped people? Is it worse than ever before in the Organization or is it a local elder thing as to whether they will go after you or not?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The absolute shunning they encourage (require) is the worst part. There is some behaviour that Is beyond the pale but the whims of the elders makes a mockery of any justice

The other thing 5hey do is keeping us in expectation of things that will not be ever seen; and the unrealistic views on education

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I don't think it is the worst thing about the JWs, but it's at the top. There are so many wicked things that the group does in the name of the bible. The worst part is when someone realized that they wasted their life away, and it is too late to do those things. Such as a parent refusing a life-saving blood transfusion for their child, and the child died as a result. Then learning, later on, that child did not have to die. Or the idiotic two-witness rule, how many more lives did that one damage? Even better yet witnessing in prison and bringing those child predators into the organization. I remember back when I was still active, how they would brag about those who would listen to them and become JWs, only to now be discovering that they are the very ones jacking with the innocent. At the time I did not know this was going on, but I am so glad that I watched my children very closely, and never allowed them to go alone to the restroom, or off with someone. I was this way because I was a victim (not by a JW, but a relative) and thus the reason for how protective I was with mine.

Yes, the shunning is horrible and should be abolished. But for those who want to get away from their toxic abusive relatives, it is actually a life saver.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

It's bad but I feel the sexual and emotional abuse on the children is worst. Making young children to act like adults with no social skills. Exposing them to material at the meetings they have no business hearing. Dressing them in suits and dresses forcing them to knock on doors selling maz. or whatever they do today. No building of self esteem but instead telling them all the time that god will kill them if they are not good. The wt. and other cults like them have done more harm to children that we can ever imagine. Yes DFing and shunning is bad but it's just the icing on the cake for all the other abused that takes place in this cult. Still Totally ADD

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

That would be like picking one turd out of a septic tank and saying this is the worst one in here.

• minimus
    minimus

Rock , that was pretty funny

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Probably I was thinking their blood policy but if it wasn’t for dfding many probably would just go ahead with the blood anyway.

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

When my brother was disfellowshipped my feeling at the time was, at the time he most needs help you are cutting him off? Afterwards I realised, disfellowshipping has nothing to do with what Jesus describes in Matthew 18

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, they pervert the scriptures. Shunning as practiced by JWs is unchristian. Unloving. Mean spirited.

• blondie
    blondie

SHUNNING = CULT

https://freedomofmind.com/the-bite-model-and-jehovahs-witnesses/

Steven's Hassan BITE model of a cult

B = Behavior Control

Dictate where, how and with whom the member lives and associates or isolates

I = Informational Control

Minimize or discourage access to...former members

T = Thought Control

Organize people into us vs. them (insiders vs. outsiders)

E = Emotional Control

Shunning of those who leave; fear of being rejected by friends and family

Further comments by Steven Hassan:

The behavior of members is controlled by limiting contact with “worldly” or “bad association” which includes disfellowshipped friends and family. Going against this could result in the member also being disfellowshipped.

As for information, members are discouraged from engaging in critical thinking about their beliefs and are instructed not to speak with ex-members, especially those labeled as “apostates” and, if they do so, they can be sanctioned. Self-policing and reporting on others to congregation elders is encouraged.

The fear of dying at Armageddon or being shunned by friends and family keeps them dedicated to the organization, along with the guilt of displeasing Jehovah God, the elders, and the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit