Thoughts on annual meeting “new light”

by FFGhost 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

So, I finally saw the Annual Meeting video part 2.

This is the one with the “new light” on who might survive Armageddon, vs. those who do not.

In summary, for those of you fortunate enough not to have to sit through it, it’s something like this:

Old light: Once the “great tribulation” starts, that’s it for non-JWs. The “door of the ark” is closed. If you’re not an active baptized JW, you are doomed.

New light: Maybe some fold might take a stand for “the truth” even after the GT begins, but before Armageddon. “We just don’t know, Jehovah will do the right thing”.

Old light: Even though not every individual will receive a personal witness, those who are not active baptized JWs will be eternally killed at Armageddon anyway, “Something something community responsibility”.

New light: Jehovah can read hearts, maybe some people who would have responded favorably to a witness but didn’t get one might make it. “We just don’t know, Jehovah will do the right thing”.

Old light: Babies and children of non-JWs will be slaughtered right along with their parents at Armageddon, parents are responsible for the lives of their children.

New light: 350,000 babies are born every day, “Jehovah will do what is right, we just don’t know.”

Well, that certainly is a change! Let’s talk about just one consequence of all this “new light”: It has made the “preaching work” absolutely, completely, entirely meaningless.

To wit: Under “old light”, the preaching work was vital. JWs we’re giving “worldly people” their one true last opportunity to be saved from eternal destruction. JWs had to reach absolutely as many people as possible to save as many as possible. Once the GT started, that was it - the door slams shut, and if you are on the wrong side of the door, you’re screwed.

But now, under the new light, “Jehovah will do the right thing”. All kinds of people might be saved - babies, those who never got a witness, fence sitters, all kinds of folks.

Let’s be generous and suppose JWs were really super-effective in their preaching efforts and managed to give a “good witness” to half the world’s population, 4 billion people (the actual number is far more likely to be much less than 10% of that number, but as stated, let’s be generous).

So what about those other 4 billion who never got a witness? “We just don’t know, Jehovah will do the right thing.”

Evidently, Jehovah will “read hearts” and determine who “might have been receptive if they had had an opportunity” and save them.

Well, wait a minute. If Jehovah is going to “read hearts and do the right thing” for 4 billion people, why couldn’t he do it for 5 billion? Or 6 billion? Or for every one of the 7,999,992,000 non-JWs on the planet?

And if he could do that, then what exactly is the point of the preaching work? If Jehovah can and/or will read everyone’s heart, what purpose is served by telling others about Armageddon in advance? If they have a “bad heart”, they’d reject the message, and if they have a “good heart”, they’d accept it. Same outcome as if Jehovah just judged everyone at Armageddon anyway.

“Apostates “ have been pointing out the futility, inefficiency, and pointlessness of the JW preaching work for decades. JWs ignore them, “why should we listen to apostates?”

But now, for anyone capable of concentrating on a thought for more than 30 seconds at a time (I know, a tall order for most JWs) will come to the conclusion as I just did: The Governing Body just announced to the worldwide brotherhood that any and all efforts at witnessing are pointless and completely unnecessary, since, as they repeated literally dozens of times, “Jehovah will do the right thing”.

Imagine the devastation of those who truly believed they were engaged in a literal lifesaving work for years, decades, maybe 50, 60, 70, 80 years, and now, with a few chuckling lighthearted comments, “oh by the way, all that work you did? Thanks but it was wasted effort. We would apologize but we’re imperfect so we don’t have to. Have a nice day! And oh yeah, we love you very much.”

It would be hilarious if it weren’t so tragic for all those millions who wasted their lives toiling on a task that their governing body just told them doesn’t matter after all.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

“We just don’t know, Jehovah will do the right thing.”

Good of them to finally put some faith in Jehovah.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Thank you for that resume.

That arrogant gb git who said they have no need to apologise enraged me.

I would like to kick him hard in the arse and then say I'm not sorry - deal with it!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Good summarization of the points from the AM 2023. Sadly, most hard core JWs will not see it this way. In my congregation absolutely nobody is talking about this. The reason is they threw out 2 "Red Herring's" for the R&F to gnaw away at:

1. No more counting hours in the ministry

2. Grow a beard now, why the F*ck not.

FYI: red her·ring

/ˌred ˈheriNG/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.
    a clue or piece of information that is, or is intended to be, misleading or distracting.
    "the book is fast-paced, exciting, and full of red herrings"
  • St George of England
    St George of England

The main take away from the AGM Pt 2 is they don't know.

They have never known.

They never will know.

They are just a bunch of clowns trying to guess the un-guessable.

George

• Freeorange
    Freeorange

Tried to have this discussion last night with a PIMI / PIMQ friend. The lengths they will go to defend the GB is mind boggling. At one point she literally said “that’s not what he means - you have to read between the lines”. WTF? If this is Gods spokesman why is it up to me to read between the lines?! Shouldn’t they be clear about what they’re saying? I gotta hand it to the GB and whoever else is pulling the strings in the org - they have created a bullet proof mindset in the faithful! Impressive 👏👏

• Elena
    Elena

If the flood story was true then the smart thing to do would be wait and see if Noah was right. Then get on the ark last minute once you are sure the world is flooding. If it was an option to wait and see, then it would not have been smart to get on the ark early because it the flood may not happen or may not happen for a long time.

This is exactly the same situation today and the GB did not think this new light through. The two new members came onto the GB and Tony was kicked out, they think they are so smart but this is so stupid what they have come up with.

The new light means don’t get on the ark just yet, you may be waiting a long long time for the flood to start. Now they are basically telling people to wait until you are sure that the flood is starting then it’s ok to get on the ark. If the flood never starts then you don’t even need to get on the ark.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    How many young people will get baptised as a JW now they have been told they don’t have to until great tribulation starts?
  • Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

👍👍

• careful
    careful

Thx for your summary and your questions. One point to consider, namely your query,

then what exactly is the point of the preaching work?

they have long taught that saving via the preaching work is not the primary purpose of it. It is first to make God's name Jehovah known. In this they have succeeded. I remember when I was out in the FS people used to say things like, "Oh, it's you Jehovahs again." I got so tired of it I almost told one householder. Yep, I'm Jehovah God. I've come down personally from heaven just to speak with you!" If I recall, I was being harassed some Machiavellian elder that day, so I was not in a good mood. But you've got to hand one thing to the org: they have made the name "Jehovah" known in a lot of places.

Perhaps the AM part here was partly to deal with the fact that the whole earth has not come to know this name, like in China, much of India, and most Arab lands (?).

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit