Staying in physically for all the benefits

by Indoubtbigtime 170 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is someone who left because there were no benefits, only costs.

Graeme Hammond, after 22 years as a Witness, writes:

For some years I’d had a growing irritation and disillusionment with the religion: I was getting tired of the pompousness, the arrogance and the control, I felt increasingly choked by their restrictions and I was drained by their demands on my time. I was frustrated by their blinkered vision and sick of everyone being treated as a child. The meetings and conventions were tedious and repetitive and the level of judgmentalism and gossip was sickening. We were all being watched.

I was already missing meetings and making a pretence of field service. Even when I met people at their doors, I had no desire to try to persuade them to join because I felt it was unfair to entice them into such a constricted life that I hated.

In the end it was “Crisis of Conscience”, the tell-all book by former Governing Body member Ray Franz about his life in — and exit from — the Witnesses, that made me realise I could just walk away. After just two or three chapters I became starkly aware that the religion was in so many ways fraudulent, with no more claim to being “God’s organisation” than any other religion.

As each chapter unfolded, it became painfully obvious that I had been defrauded and manipulated for the entire time I had spent in the religion. Franz’s book showed plainly that it was a totally man-made, man-run organisation seized with an oversized sense of self-importance and a mean streak of vindictiveness.

Once I read that book — and followed it up with books by Jim Penton, Robert Crompton, Tony Wills and others — the more I learned about the religion I’d given so much of my life to. There was no Armageddon, no “faithful slave”, no mathematical formulation of the “last days”, no hotline to God. And no reason for me to ever set foot again inside a Kingdom Hall.

I never regretted leaving: walking away from it made me realise that I was reclaiming my life. Yet in a sense I did “look back”. The sense of anger and humiliation about the deception and control is not something you can easily dismiss. It burned me up for a long time, but today those emotions are a distant past.

I was a cult member, but I escaped. And I survived.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

For those who reject the fact that humans landed on the moon, despite believing in the WT's teachings, today I have found another WT publication which says humans went to the moon. It is the booklet called "The Time for True Submission to God" (copyright 1982). On page 36 in paragraph one it says the following. 'Today, science is highly thought of. Scientists have sent men to the moon. They have made life more comfortable for some. .. Hence, men tend to look down on things that they feel are not "scientific." '

After quoting a biblical verse about the earth hanging "upon nothing" and a biblical verse about the "circle of the earth" the same booklet on page 37 in paragraph 4 says the following. "Does that sound unscientific to you? Or is that not exactly what the American and Russian astronauts see when they venture into outer space in their rocket ships? How could people thousands of years ago have known that the earth was hanging in empty space unless God himself had revealed it to them?"

Notice that the WT uses what astronauts saw in space far from the Earth, to try to prove a teaching of the Bible (in support of the WT's claim of the Bible being divinely inspired). If one denies that people saw such then you remove that argument which has been used in support of a biblical teaching. However divine inspiration was not needed, for some philosopher scientists in ancient times knew that the Earth was round with no visible support in space, in part because of reasoning upon observations of curvature of the shadow cast upon the Moon by the Earth.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Why is this thread still going?

I honestly thought the original thread title was meant sarcastically.

What “benefits”? 🙄

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

looks like indoubtbigtime has left us. Was he yet another UK troll like that north london jwelder guy who posted like crazy then vanished, or were they the same person ?

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Thanks, Vanderhoven, I had forgotten what this thread was about!

Just looked up ‘Graeme Hammond’ on the internet and found the Aussie newspaper article, great anti-witness given…

Speaking personally, cannot say I can see any advantage to having been one of Jehovah’s Witnesses at any time of my life,… plenty of disadvantages though -

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

(Absolutely no benefits whatever ! )

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

There has been a huge change in the latest elders book that if someone says that going to a JD would make them feel suicidal then it won’t happen. They may be marked and talks given but from now on there will be hardly any disfellowshipping or shunning done. As long as everyone knows about this loophole.

So why not have one foot in for the association and one foot out so that you on your deathbed don’t feel you wasted your life believing some o that wasn’t true?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

If I left altogether POMO then I would feel I miss so many people who I have known all my life. Some I know very well and some I know a little but want to keep in touch over the years.

Its having that thing in common even if I think the GB are wrong about lots of things, It’s having that thing in common that is why JWs all have such good close friends.

All through history and all around the world there were groups of friends that shared an ideology or common interest that brought them together and made them closer than if they didn’t have that thing.

even if that thing was fictional (Star Trek for example) or the belief of something that wasn’t quite true but that doesn’t matter. As long as you are open to the fact that it may be not true but that doesn’t matter just get the benefits now.

The advantage of keeping one foot in and one foot out is that when you make decisions you can think clearly and not with a JW lense that the end is just around the corner.

I look at life with a lense that I am responsible for my life. I don’t know the truth about the Bible but I like studying it and it does benefit myself and my family. Going to meetings really does benefit my family and we have such good friends. It’s better than going to other places that cost a lot of money, and we have such good associations real friends.

I’m agnostic if there is a god or not but regardless the Bible is so interesting to study and talk about together as a congregation how it can benefit us all.

I personally love the Bibles advice about how to be happy and if it’s Gods word or man’s doesn’t matter.

So I’m keeping one foot in and one foot out. Best of both worlds.

• Elmer
    Elmer

Why do you periodically change your handle and your background story? When you were InDoubtBigtime you were a young MS. Now you claim you are an ex-Bethelite and elder.

Are you Schizophrenic?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

You must have me mixed up with someone else

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit