The most successful teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses and an amazing new book on the divine name

by slimboyfat 332 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't know anything in the NT about Christians killing non-believers. I was talking about the statement about "having love among yourselves". JWs are the practically only ones who fulfil that since they refuse to kill each other in war. It's amazing when you think about it, nearly 10 million people spread across the earth who refuse to go to war against one another. If only everyone took the same stand.

Because if everyone acted as JWs there would be no wars and no killing. It's a basic question in ethics: "what would happen if everyone acted that way?" There would be no war to start with, that's what would happen. And the world would be a much better place.

Apart from which I think there's good evidence for the early Christians refusing to go to war just as there is good evidence about them using the divine name. So it's another aspect where JWs copy the early Christians and are reviled for it.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

slim

Apart from which I think there's good evidence for the early Christians refusing to go to war just as there is good evidence about them using the divine name. So it's another aspect where JWs copy the early Christians and are reviled for it.

I don't think it is that straightforward.

In the world at the time there was a definite drive that war be brought to an end. The goddess Venus made it her mission to keep the war god Mars/Ares occupied with her love. This is a strong current in Stoic and Epicurean thought that bloodshed - rivers of blood - be stemmed. I think it is interesting that YHWH/IAO or the tetrgram was associated with Aphrodite/Venus in some archaeological evidence. I wonder if such a strong current influenced early Christians to focus more and more on Jesus. Or else the focus on Jesus was part of a wider event for people to focus more on peace and love.

Jesus suffering in this context would be a powerful reminder of the sacrifices that were made to bring about peace and love while also reminding about the negative aspects of hate and warfare. In our own time JWS seem to be giving this role to YHWH via Jesus rather than via a trinity doctrine. it is more complicated than what I have described but there is a simple thing in it too

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

SBF

Given the level of 'intellect' that you 'appear' to show,I don't believe for one minute that you actually believe that JW's are reviled for 'copying' early Christians.

Would you not agree that they are reviled for other reasons.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The single biggest reason JWs have been banned and persecuted in many countries across the world is because they refuse to fight.

That's not to say there are not other things about JWs that are objectionable, such as shunning and dividing families, if that's what you're alluding to.

• cofty
    cofty

Refusing to fight is morally deplorable.

There would be no war to start with, that's what would happen.

Meanwhile back in the real world, populated by actual humans, bad people need to be shot in order to protect good people. JWs are moral infants and cowards and it looks as if you have never got over that.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

@slimboyfat I do...I have some very solid reasons for leaving...but it's taken a year with a psychologist for me to have the courage to do it.

I don't talk to anyone...I know how dangerous that is.

JWs may not go to fight and for that have 'love among them themselves' but from what I've seen, they have no compassion and their love is conditional.

@Vanderhoven - thank you.

• Laika
    Laika

Since this has gone off topic... Jesus' teachings are obviously incompatible with war 'love your enemies' 'turn the other cheek' 'take up your cross and follow me' 'blessed are the peacemakers' and so on... Like with many things, the secular argument is different to the theological one, of course if you don't believe in Jesus you will probably find 'love your enemies' to be silly, but you'd expect people who profess to be his followers to take it seriously.

and JW's would not exist if it were not for Christians that have used violence to protect their freedom.

Well, usually from other Christians...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Cofty I accept it is your opinion that pascifism is wrong.

If everyone acted as JWs there would be no war. And unless humanity copies JWs soon and abandons war it's hard to see how it can avoid complete annihilation because of modern weapons.

• cofty
    cofty
    if everyone acted as JWs there would be no war.

If everyone acted as JWs we would be living in a global North Korea.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

As we are now on ' going to war ' if someone comes to your door and physically threatens you and your family. .. how would you react ? ...by inviting them in ? Lets scale it up et voila !! Thats unfortunately the human race hence war and confrontation. .. there is no god yaweh jehovah or take your pick, no armaggedon, paradise or petting lions and tigers....get real and get over it !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit