The most successful teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses and an amazing new book on the divine name
I offer my apology if I came across as insulting.
Steve2 - Jesus is the name that should be used to expel demons. The emphasis on Jehovah by Watchtower makes JWs lose focus on the message of the New Testament
Mark 9:38-39 "John said to him: "Teacher, we saw a certain man expelling demons by the use of your name and we tried to prevent him, because he was not accompanying us." But Jesus said: "Do not try to prevent him, for there is no one that will do a powerful work on the basis of my name that will quickly be able to revile me;"
Good point jwfacts. Interesting that the older school JWs genuinely believed the name Jehovah had protective qualities when it reeks of superstition.
Would Almighty God have allowed this group of Christians to champion his name at this crucial time if they did not enjoy his blessings and support ?
- The "importance of his name" is just another trumped up JW belief where connect the dot scriptures are used to prove it's importance. When you read the verses and chapters around the scriptures they use, you'll find that once again, they've created an issue that doesn't exist.
- If his name is so vitally important it seems as if he'd have revealed it's true pronunciation along with all the other supposed important "revelations" he made to them (important revelations that were later changed when time bore them out to be wrong).
- The early Christians weren't called Jehovah's Witnesses. Why would that be so important now?
- Isn't it considered disrespectful for children to call their father (or anyone else they are in subjection to) , by his first name?
- Since "No one knows the day nor the hour" why is this time period any more "crucial" than any other ?
- What proof is there that they are "enjoying" his blessings and support? It seems to me that if the God of the universe were blessing them, they'd have had the job done by now and they wouldn't have gotten it wrong so many times.
Quote by SlimBoyFat:
...distinctive Jewish name for the almighty...
Actually, the "Distinctive Name" is not a Jewish name. It was not a creation of the Judeans or any of the other houses of Israel. The Distinctive Name was made known to Men of God long before the Judeans even existed. Why do Christian Believers continue to attribute to the Jews (Pharisees) such erroneous views?
For the record: Cofty has got it right! The Distinctive Name is all about the Qualities, Characteristics and Position of the Name Holder rather than how it is spelled, written or pronounced in all of its various Earthly languages.
The newly discovered Hebrew (with all of the vowel markings intact) written/spoken Distinctive Name is much nearer to Yah-Hoo-WAH than Jee-HO-vah. If that, if fact, is of any importance.
...,if fact, = ,in fact,... Sorely miss the ability to edit mispellings!
one thing I never appreciated is that the main attribute of the supreme deity was power and his name was profaned when his power was unacknowledged or threatened or questioned. Clearing his name was to do with making his power felt and making his enemies quake. this was so all over the ancient world. He could be a rapist as Zeus was, he could be called Jehovah of armies and kill men women and children and still be respected and worshipped for his power and strength. Sanctifying his name is still connected to power in JW thought - example the song, then they will know you only are Jehovah.
this power extends to Jehovah being a tower into which the righteous run and are given protection and it works because this is what Jehovah's witnesses have internalised through repeated admonition of the pronunciation JEHOVAH. It isn't about preserving a correct pronunciation at all and Jws admit this all the time - they say they are using a version popular in english.
as to the preservation of the name in the septuagint and the argument that Jehovah's power is questionable if he couldn't even preserve his own name - well the name was preserved as the tetragrammaton, adonai/elohim and lord but scribes also preserved that it had problematic status in that this status was so high that it could not even be spoken. Once a people came along who were willing to focus on his power, so the reasoning goes, they could take up his name. and they do focus on Jehovah of armies, Jehovah who will bring the end, Jehovah who can protect against demons etc etc. Jesus came talking about love and wisdom, loving one's neighbour etc but all this pales beside Jehovah in JW thought. need I go on?
steve2 cher has won two oscars - not many can lay claim to that. long may she keep making come backs
edit: and seriously how many women hold their own here on JWN nowadays? besides blondie none!!!! mind you I haven't seen her around lately. I guess those that do hold their own move on thanking the guys for giving them the opportunity or something like that? i'd really like to know
Off Topic Ruby, Tut Tut.
May I say that I always appreciate your contributions here.
As to this Thread, I think we have had some excellent Posts, and others that show that Critical Thinking is a difficult skill to learn !.
But,whatever, as the late, great, Irish Comic Dave Allen used to say : " May your god go with you".