The most successful teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses and an amazing new book on the divine name

by slimboyfat 332 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

I can't recall where I read it now but the most interesting idea I ever encountered regarding the divine name linked "yah-weh" with breathing.

Breath in through an open mouth and out through the lips and you say yah-weh with every breath.

It made sense in terms of the Abrahamic God being a "spirit".

• johnamos
    johnamos
    Jesus is the name that should be used to expel demons. The emphasis on Jehovah by Watchtower makes JWs lose focus on the message of the New Testament

Keep in mind that the name Jesus is not what was being used, it was Jehoshua and Jehoshua is said to be ‘Jehovah is Salvation’.

Luke 1:31 and, look! you will conceive in your womb and give birth to a son, and you are to call his name Jesus.

Luke 2:21 Now when eight days came to the full for circumcising him, his name was also called Jesus, the name called by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Acts 4: 12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

John 5: 43 I have come in the name of my Father, but YOU do not receive me;

Mark 9:38-39 "John said to him: "Teacher, we saw a certain man expelling demons by the use of your name and we tried to prevent him, because he was not accompanying us." But Jesus said: "Do not try to prevent him, for there is no one that will do a powerful work on the basis of my name that will quickly be able to revile me;"

John 10: 25 Jesus answered them: “I told YOU, and yet YOU do not believe. The works that I am doing in the name of my Father,

John 3:17 … He that does not exercise faith has been judged already, because he has not exercised faith in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.

Jehoshua - ‘Jehovah is Salvation’

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

actually there is evidence that Yahuwah (three syllables) or Iao (2 syllables) were used by early Christians groups. https://www.academia.edu/29075751/Tetragrammaton_Kurios_and_IAO_among_Jews_Gnostics_and_the_Early_Church

• cofty
    cofty

Jehovah is such an ugly word.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Cofty - I HATE that word.

When I was still an elder and working on my Fade - I almost NEVER said it, even in talks.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz
    You obviously need to get out more.

I said what is true in my case and in my location, which I assume is very far from yours and most of the mebers of this forum's.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

In simple words:

Claim: JW position Checking

• God has a name Correct
    • His name in the OT is

YHWH Correct

• Some people translated

it to Jehovah and it's not

wrong Maybe

• The name YHWH is

present in the NT Incorrect

• Christians used to speak

the name when quoting the

OT Maybe

• It would make ok to

change what is written by

adding the YHWH. Incorrect

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I had an aversion to the word Jehovah - even when I was in. Couldn't explain it at the time apart from, yes, as Cofty said, it is an ugly word. I would avoid using it whenever I could, especially when speaking to householders. The way JWs use it like a lucky charm verbal talisman is silly and creepy IMO. Can you imagine talking to a person in everyday life and dropping their name every third word like that - they would slap you and tell you to stop it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

According to scripture, knowing a name and repeating it incessantly saves no one. Knowing the person is what counts. There is no merit in making a false name known worldwide.

• LV101
    LV101

It was nauseating to hear witnesses blather the so-called name, Jehovah, on and on. I realize it was a learned behavior and some so desperately wanted to be the perfect child/witness, but really!! It turns so many people off and how many times did I hear non-witnesses say JWs don't worship God but someone named 'Jehovah'. So weird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit