Good Guys VS Bad Guys: Facts Nobody Wants to KNow

by TerryWalstrom 143 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled
    It would be foolish to claim that because a government respects human rights today, they always have. -Or even that they will tomorrow.
    I still don't agree with that idea that, "good" and "bad" are definitions manufactured purely by the victorious side. --Especially when there are so many examples of pure evil to illustrate the difference.

in general l agree with your statement, TD. The last of your remark should be treated with some care however.

The evils of Stalinism we know. The covert actions of the “good” governments shouldn’t be whitewashed. this good guy vs. bad guy polarizing throws us off the work of making sure our own government respect human rights. To appear always “good” we will hide crimes. This will not help us maintain moral health in our government.. It leads to hypocrisy.

• humbled
    humbled

Luhe- l. Am. Not . Comparing.

... no comparison with Stalin.

Read the link above: US prison industrial complex vs the Stalinist gulag. It should make plain that l do not maintain equivance at all. This United States is a haven indeed for people fleeing rapemurderpovertyterrors abroad if it will let you in.

Perhaps this discussion needs to explore the idea of settling what level of greed and corruption we will accept in a “good guy”. Maybe we can manage to let the greed and corruption fall on the historically “inferiors” then ignore their condition as well deserved. Build more prisons?

What facts should l face, luhe?

I think we should go for transparency. We cannot maintain this adversarial model of life on the planet. Deconstructing begins on a local level. It probably begins with these kinds of conversations.

• TD
    TD

Humbled,

The covert actions of the “good” governments shouldn’t be whitewashed. this good guy vs. bad guy polarizing throws us off the work of making sure our own government respect human rights.

I don't disagree with this. My disagreement is with the OP, which questions whether the assessment can be made at all.

• cofty
    cofty

The UK has just spent tens of millions of pounds dropping highly sophisticated weapons on Syria's chemical weapons facilities in defense of helpless citizens. Not one person was injured or killed. Not one.

For a few thousand pounds we could have bombed the general area around the facilities with the same strategic outcome. We didn't. Neither did the USA or France.

Contrast and compare with Bashar al-Assad who has, on dozens of occasions dropped barrel bombs of chemicals on his own men, women and children aided and abetted by Putin and Rouhani.

Don't tell me there is any moral equivalence.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What kind of weapons did the US use in Fallujah?

What kind of weapons would the US and UK use if rebel insurgents captured Manchester or Boston, and they didn’t have access to expensive precision weapons?

Aren’t the US and UK the world’s leading arms exporters? Don’t you think this has something to do with their showcasing the latest precision weapons for clients states such as Saudia Arabia, Israel, and others?

Where is the evidence it was the Syrian government that used chemical weapons? Even the BBC seems doubtful. It doesn’t seem to make sense tactically, there are others who are likely culprits, and our governments didn’t wait for evidence before acting. No wonder many people think it looks suspicious.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

there are others who are likely culprits - can you say who the culprits are?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t know. I heard it on Radio 4 while driving. A guest on one of the news programmes said it was odd that our governments assumed the Syrian government was behind the chemical attack when there are other likely agents who could have done it. And our governments didn’t wait for evidence.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Apparently right wing Fox commentator Tucker Carlson and left wing Young Turks agree that rebel fighters had the most to gain from the chemical attack. America was poised to remove troops and support from rebels, and the Syrian government has been gaining ground: exactly not the time it would make sense for the Syrian government to provoke the west with chemical weapons.

https://youtu.be/VUFse-4Cxiw

• cofty
    cofty

You are a useful idiot SBF.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No answer then, just insults as usual. What weapons did the US use in Fallujah? Moral superiority?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit