Good Guys VS Bad Guys: Facts Nobody Wants to KNow

by TerryWalstrom 143 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@SLF - you make some good facts and points in your comment. I can't argue with those.

But in above the clip, the madwoman says Assad doesn't murder his own people. She says he is a good man - he's a doctor for heaven's sake (I wonder how she feels about Harold Shipman XD).

There are two ways we can view this madwoman: either she is thinking for herself, in which case she's very dim; or she has swallowed bullshit propaganda hook, line and sinker. Take your pick.

Here's an important observation: none of the other protesters corrects her or contradicts her. Not one.

Imagine if a generation of kids in the West became like her. It doesn't really bear thinking about.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

My take on the “mad woman”. She makes one very good point, a mediocre point and a few very poor ones.

It doesn’t follow that a doctor can’t kill and I think it seems unwise, to say the least, to call Assad a “very good man”. So they were stupid things to say.

But the main point she makes is excellent. Why does the news so regularly talk about Assad (and other leaders it doesn’t like) killing people when they don’t talk the same way about Blair, Bush, Obama, and Trump, who have ordered the deaths of milllions? In the case of Bush and Blair very likely torture as well. This is such a blatant double standard that the real question should be: why on earth does it take a mad woman on the street with bulging eyes to state such an obvious truth? Shouldn't such observations be the everyday language of the news? A cynic might conclude that it was the woman’s very mad appearance that allowed her to make such a statement on the news. It’s the type of view that is only allowed a hearing within the framework of “madness”.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why does the news so regularly talk about Assad (and other leaders it doesn’t like) killing people when they don’t talk the same way about Blair, Bush, Obama, and Trump, who have ordered the deaths of milllions? - the news does talk regularly the same way about Blair, Bush and Trump but not Obama..

Obama gets a free pass because he was the first black president.

It's actually the other way round - a Stop The War protester is condemning May's airstrikes on chemical weapons bases whilst turning a blind eye to the atrocities committed by Assad.

• Simon
    Simon
    Here's an idea - tell school kids the Iraq war was wrong, or at least let them have an open discussion on the issue. And while we're at it we can teach them that the Afghanistan war was right because it was about, not oil, but exterminating terrorist training camps and ending Taliban rule.

I would back it up further and say that the entire Al Qaeda / ISIS / Afghanistan / Iraq issue was because 'we' used them to fight a proxy war with Russia and thought weaponizing an already dangerous and fanatical religious group was "a good idea".

The stupid things that politicians do overseas do have an impact on our shores at some point so we should hold them to account. That means throwing them in prison when they commit crimes and lie about it because their lies cost the lives of millions and huge amounts of money that could be better spent.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The stupid things that politicians do overseas do have an impact on our shores at some point so we should hold them to account. That means throwing them in prison when they commit crimes and lie about it because their lies cost the lives of millions and huge amounts of money that could be better spent - agreed, and children should be taught at school that some of the West's wars were wrong.

Bush, Blair and others should face criminal charges for what they've done in the Middle East. When you think about it, so too should Obama because he and Hillary basically repeated Bush's mistake in Libya.

But children should also be taught about just wars, such as fighting Nazis in WW2.

The Falklands war is another example.and shows what the purpose of an army is - to protect its citizens and country from an invading force.

The main argument we seem to be having in the West is those saying the West is always right vs those saying all war is wrong.

We can and must do better than that.

• sir82
    sir82

That means throwing them in prison when they commit crimes and lie about it because their lies cost the lives of millions and huge amounts of money that could be better spent.

LOL.

You're gonna need a bigger boat prison.

• Simon
    Simon

No, the people who are sent off to war don't commit crimes, it's the people that send them. The decisions come from a small few, easy to find space for those few.

• humbled
    humbled

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/511454/

Obama doesn’t get a pass, LUHE. If the link provided above is any good it is s thoughtful and damning criticism of his drone policy-a huge arrogation of killing authority.

It is hard to figure out the true and false of matters as so many have said. —l suspect that the powers of government are themselves governed by the vast power of multinational corporations. Look at the records billions of dollars made by more than the oil interests but also by the arms and military manufacturers . It is astounding. And they have no moral codes here of any sort: check out the sales of U.S manufactured weapons that go to nations with oppressive dictatorships. These corporations pay vast sums to lobby the U.S. Congress. Don’t take my word for it—check it out.

No, the people who are sent off to war don't commit crimes, it's the people that send them.

Some veterans who volunteer for service who returned from Iraq and refuse further deployments when they sense the actions are “illegal “—they discerned the calculated evil of what they were sent to do. And they do not say their governments “made a mistake”. No. They know that there was wrong and purposeful abuse of military force.

These huge corporations have no interest in peace.The US elections are virtually run by big money and then officials are lobbied day by day by these same“creditors”.

When Big Money owns a government it eventually won’t care about people. Not even loyal soldiers.

We must find a way to re-new governments to serve people’s welfare —honestly.

• TD
    TD

I would agree that the distinction between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" has become shamefully blurred.

At the same time, I honestly don't know how someone could read books like The Rape of Nanking or Hitler's Furies or Alexander Dolgun's Story and still play the moral equivalency game though.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Obama doesn’t get a pass, LUHE - I've read some but not all of your link.

I think it's up for debate whether Obama got a free pass or not.

Just to add to your link, and perhaps add perspective, in 2009 when Obama wasn't raining down bombs on Pakistani and Yemeni wedding parties he collected the Nobel Peace prize.

This would be hilarious if the subject matter wasn't so serious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit