The "Tree" of WHAT?

by Farkel 103 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

Awwww, Fark, you're just being 'contentious'. So be it. My Father is NOT answerable to us. However, that does not mean He won't answer. Indeed, we are URGED to 'have our say', 'question' Him, 'test [Him] out, please', seek, ask, knock... etc., etc., etc.

The difference between us and Him is that He doesn't HAVE to answer for His actions... but He does. We, however, HAVE to answer for ours... and think we don't.

You have been TOLD how to 'approach' Him and 'ask anything'; it is through my Lord and in his name. Farkel, there is NO other 'way'. JAH has LEFT us instructions... and given us TWO (2) instructors, His Son... and holy spirit. Can we STILL blame HIM if WE refused to pay attention to that?

Wouldn't that be like, say, buying a computer, reading the manual which says, "push button to turn on", deciding you don't WANT to push the button... and then blaming the manufacturer cause you can't get your computer to work? USE THE 'POWER BUTTON'.

You HAVE instructions... and an instructor, Farkle. If you want to speak and get answers from God... FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

I do NOT think you or anyone here are 'dummies' and if my 'tone' suggests that, again, I apologize. You know me... and emphasis. Also, I have not forgotten... and I am a Diego-an true to heart. So, I know what 'cahones' are, you cad. LOL! I MEANT... 'chonies'... as in 'panties', 'drawers', 'underpants', etc.

You know I love you, don't you? And bid you nothing but peace? Truthfully.

Your servant and friend always, and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• Farkel
    Farkel

Ms. Bug-Eye,

: If I still believed the Adam and Eve story, I wouldn't by now.

Well then, I did something worthwhile, huh? :)

Farkel
    Information Class

• Farkel
    Farkel

SJ,

: Awwww, Fark, you're just being 'contentious'.

Forget the messenger: address the message. So far, you aren't succeeding.

Farkel

• crossroads
    crossroads

AGUEST-If you are a slave of CHRIST great. But do an
    exercise for me and but CHRIST qualities and actions
    in one column and the qualities and actions of that
    old testament god YHWY in another now COMPARE.
    Looks like night and day to me or is that
    LIGHT and DARKNESS

Peace and Love from someone who believes in the LORD
    but really has a hard time thinking love came forth from
    YHWY. Again I ask why are our kids answerable to
    us their parents? Remember apples and apples of
    course parents do things for the good of the rest of the
    family. But their were no other SIBLINGS they were not
    harming the rest of the human race their was no others remember duh . YHWH was harming the unborn by the
    way he set the game up to be played. Oh well if you do the
    exercise you'll see the difference between the two but from what I see you won't SEE the difference.

Thanks Farkel for the thread

• AGuest
    AGuest

Then, I've 'lost', Farkely, 'cause I've been given nothing else to give you. As far as I can see, I have addressed EVERY issue you have raised on this subject. At this point, I am tapped out. I have shared with you EVERYTHING I have on the subject. There are no other 'answers', at least none that I have heard.

Maybe now is the time for you to ask HIM. What'dya think?

Peace, Daddy-O!

Your friend and servant (who would NEVER attack you, messenger or no - can you say the same?), and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Then, I've 'lost', Farkely, 'cause I've been given nothing else to give you.

Consider the source, Shelby. Consider the source. Maybe your "source" is not as great as you think it is.

I'm gonna handle your other arguments tomorrow. That will not require a lot of my time.

Farkel

• AGuest
    AGuest

Sorry, Daddy-O, but it's not my 'source' that is at fault here; it's the audience. My Lord HAS answered you. You don't WANT the answers. So be it. 'Pearls' can only be thrown so far, yes?

You, too, would get to a point where you know that the audience is either unreceptive... or doesn't get it at this time... and you would move on with no hard feelings. I KNOW you would, as would any reasonable person.

Crossroad, I will do your comparison later today/night.

Peace to you!

Your servant, friend and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey Shelby,

Farkelmeister said well "check your source" .. as a believer in paranormal stuff I still question the wisdom of all Gods, Lords, ghosts and aliens .. I mean if one of 'em gives me the lottery numbers it'd go a long way to convincing me that they are more than imaginary beings of no more relevance to life as we know it than Adam and Eves belly-button fluff.

cheers unc, who has sympathy for gods and devils of all kinds in this cynical age ... poor bastards

• Farkel
    Farkel

Shelby,

I stated:

There is something God did not want Adam and Eve to know.

You replied with:

: Well, actually, it wasn't that He didn't want to know ABOUT something; He didn't want to them to KNOW it, as in experience it. You can understand that, yes? I mean, I want my kids to know ABOUT crack, but I don't necessarily want them to experience it. I want them to know ABOUT teenage pregnancy and HIV... but I don't necessarily want them to experience. I want, then, for them know only good... and not bad.

You've already dug yourself a big hole, my dear. In fact it's so big that IF your "explantion" is true, you've defeated your whole argument and made mine, and IF your "explanation" is false, you have no argument. THAT is a hard thing to do!

In a moment, I'll show you why. But first, my stuff is directed almost entirely towards JWs, and only peripherally to other Christians who believe some of the same stuff that JWs believe. As Moxy has pointed out, many people (include many Christians) believe the Eden story is allegory and/or about the loss of innocence. Fine and dandy, but those beliefs mean nothing to JWs.

Your argument in a nutshell is that the Bible was talking about experiencing good and evil rather than just knowing about them as an un-experienced concept, yes?

If this argument is true then when God says that the pair has now become one of US with the knowledge of good and evil, then God is stating that not only all of his heavenly creation had personal experience of good and evil, but that God himself had personal experience of good an evil at the time he issued his command to the first pair! Yet, he stated those words before any rebellion by Satan or anyone else, according to the Bible itself. There is no mention in the Bible of any evil existing at the time of the creation of man. So your theory contradicts the Bible. Now, if those little voices you hear say otherwise, fine and dandy, because we are only using the Bible as our reference and most of us don't get ad hoc answers on-the-fly from talking voices. Are you going to concede that for your argument to be true, God and all his angels (or whoever he was talking to at the time of his statement) MUST have already and personally experienced evil themselves? If so, how so, and why so? Particularly, why would God let that happen to them and to himself?
    If not, you'd better be prepared to prove yourself using the Bible.

Let's look at the other possibility, that is to say: if "knowing" really does mean "experiencing?" First, you have ignored what was really said in the Bible (knowledge) and discussing "knowing," or "to know" even using John 17:3 to make your point. "To know" or "knowing" can mean both understanding conceptually and having a personal experience of a concept. "Knowledge" is most commonly used to mean having an understanding. Knowledge is mental. Look it up in the dictionary. Neither of my dictionaries even hint that "knowledge" means or implies personal experience. It COULD mean personal experience, but that is not how it is most-often used. If God wanted all of humanity to clearly understand what it was he didn't want Adam and Eve to know/experience, then why would he use a word that was at least ambiguous or at most totally misleading? He could have said the "tree of the experience of Good and Evil," but he didn't say that. YOU said that.

:...Your 'argument' falls apart here because of your assumption of what is meant by the word 'know'. And really, that takes care of the entire REST of your argument, and you know it, but I will continue... for the SAKE of argument

No it doesn't. Yours does.

Farkel

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, Daddy-O, let's take a look (and may you have peace...) (how DO you use html here!?):

You said:

:>Your argument in a nutshell is that the Bible was talking about experiencing good and evil rather than just knowing about them as an un-experienced concept, yes?

Yes.

:>If this argument is true then when God says that the pair has now become one of US with the knowledge of good and evil, then God is stating that not only all of his heavenly creation had personal experience of good and evil, but that God himself had personal experience of good an evil at the time he issued his command to the first pair!

Yep.

:>Yet, he stated those words before any rebellion by Satan or anyone else, according to the Bible itself.

So?

:>There is no mention in the Bible of any evil existing at the time of the creation of man.

No, there isn't... at the time of the creation of 'earthling' man, and with respect to the creation of the physical realm and that which was 'good'. BUT... darkness existed before Light, yes?

Genesis 1:1, 2

Did you notice, however, that while it says that God 'saw the LIGHT was good', it did NOT say that He saw the DARKNESS was good? And that, in fact, He caused a DIVISION between the Light and the Darkness? Now, don't FOOL yourself into thinking that this is speaking about the light and dark and night and day brought on by the sun and moon. For this is the FIRST day, and those 'luminaries' did not come into existence... until the FOURTH day.

No, it is speaking about the TRUE Light, my Lord (John 1:9; 8:12), and the TRUE Darkness, the Adversary (1 John 2:11; 2 Corinthians 4:4).
    Did JAH 'know' 'bad', before Adam and Eve? Indeed, He did. Because the 'darkness' existed not only before Adam... but before the Light.

:>So your theory contradicts the Bible. Now, if those little voices you hear say otherwise, fine and dandy, because we are only using the Bible as our reference and most of us don't get ad hoc answers on-the-fly from talking voices. Are you going to concede that for your argument to be true, God and all his angels (or whoever he was talking to at the time of his statement) MUST have already and personally experienced evil themselves?

Of course, they had.

:>If so, how so, and why so?

May I ask you... at what point did Death and Destruction itself come into existence? When Adam ate? How could THAT be? If Death didn't exist BEFORE Adam, then death had to be 'created' AFTER Adam sinned. Yes? But Adam was told BEFORE he sinned that if he ate... he WOULD die. Death, then... BAD... existed.

The 'history' of Adam and Eve is the history of the physical realm, Farkel. If the angels were there BEFORE them, BEFORE the earth and creation of the physical realm, then, too, the DESTROYER... and angel of some type... existed as well, yes? Now, what such one 'destroyed' in the spirit realm is unknown to me. Why? Because, I currently reside in the PHYSICAL realm, and the BIBLE contains the history of THIS realm, and not that one. In addition, every time my brothers and I ASK about death, we are given a serious warning:

"JAH... is the God... of the LIVING. Concern yourself WITH Death... and you will KNOW Death. Concern yourself with LIFE... and you will know Life." (John 14:6)

I only intend to 'eat' from one tree, Farkel. The 'Tree of Life'. The OTHER one, the Tree of Knowledge, holds no lure for me, for it leads to Death. And as they say, "I ain't goin' there".

:>Particularly, why would God let that happen to them and to himself?

Are you asking me to ASK Him? Because right off-hand, I truly do not know. It has not been 'revealed' to me. In fact, as I stated above, whenever we go into the subject of death, destruction, etc., it is like a 'door' closes and we are warned to 'turn back'. We... my brothers and I... have learned to LISTEN... and not 'push the envelope' on the subject of Death, for our understanding is that there is WAY more to it that we really care to know. Most humans, though, don't KNOW that. I personally don't have to get 'burned' to know that the 'stove' my Father has told me is hot... is hot.

But if YOU want to know... keep asking. But, like I said, I'm not going there... further into the knowledge of Death... with you.

:>If not, you'd better be prepared to prove yourself using the Bible.

I gave it my best 'shot'. There are MANY more scriptures, but you can find them yourself by just doing a little cross-referencing. Or... you COULD ask. Again, though, I reiterate the warning given to ME on the subject. Take it... or leave it.

:>Let's look at the other possibility...

Sure, let's.

:>... that is to say: if "knowing" really does mean "experiencing?" First, you have ignored what was really said in the Bible (knowledge)

Which Bible and was it in Hebrew or Greek?

:>... and discussing "knowing," or "to know" even using John 17:3 to make your point. "To know" or "knowing" can mean both understanding conceptually and having a personal experience of a concept.

You are correct. So, then, in order to KNOW what the speaker REALLY meant... one would have to ASK him. Yes? I did. YOU... didn't an haven't. Moving right along...

:>"Knowledge" is most commonly used to mean having an understanding.

True that, but again, you are using the wrong word. It WASN'T 'knowledge'. It was 'know'.

:>Knowledge is mental.

Again, I agree. It is also physical, emotional, psychological... and spiritual. So?

:>Look it up in the dictionary. Neither of my dictionaries even hint that "knowledge" means or implies personal experience.

Well, in addition to what you assert, MY dictionary also says:

"The act, fact or state of knowing (a) acquaintance or familiarity with a fact, place, etc." (and etc. COULD be a person or thing... as well as "sexual intercourse". The latter denotes, then, a man and women KNOWING each other, in the most intimate sense. UNION. Truly, the act of becoming ONE flesh, yes? And does not my Lord say that we become with him and that Father ONE SPIRIT? That we are 'in union' with them, by means of holy spirit? How did Mary get pregnant? Was it not by holy spirit? You've got the wrong 'know', Farkel, I PROMISE you.

And if you want to make a lewd response about spiritual 'sex' here, I have already explained that to Uncle Bruce somewhere around here. I forget where, but I won't explain it again to prevent redunancy. But just so you KNOW that it is YOUR argument that is 'false', the Hebrew word at Genesis 3:5 and 22 is 'yaw-dah', and its definition INCLUDES 'to know... BY EXPERIENCING.' And the GREEK word at John 17:3, which YOU have misunderstood to be 'gnosis' or knowledge of... is actually 'ginosko', which means: 'come to know' AND/OR 'come to be ACQUAINTED with.'

Do I need to elaborate on what it means to make acquaintance with? It would be what you and I did during my day in Ocean Beach. I may not 'know' you WELL... nor you me... but we ARE 'acquainted' now... personally. Aren't we?

:>It COULD mean personal experience, but that is not how it is most-often used.

What does OFTEN have to do with anything? Isn't SOMETIMES enough?

:>If God wanted all of humanity to clearly understand what it was he didn't want Adam and Eve to know/experience, then why would he use a word that was at least ambiguous or at most totally misleading?

Why would YOU use a word like 'ambiguous'? Maybe cause it sounds good to YOU? Or maybe because IT'S THE RIGHT WORD TO DESCRIBE WHAT YOU MEANT. Can you help it, though, if someone ELSE doesn't get it? Can you personally make contact with everyone who wouldn't and explain it? WOULD you? Or would you expect them to either break out their dictionary and look it up... or ASK SOMEONE? No difference, Farkel: you got Bibles, dictionaries, lexicons... and my Lord. Between those FOUR... YOU should have figured out the correct meaning of the word. I did. And I'm a dingbat.

:>He could have said the "tree of the experience of Good and Evil," but he didn't say that. YOU said that.

And YOU could have said 'unclear', but you didn't. I did.

And again, your 'argument' falls apart... because of your MISassumption of what is meant by the word 'know'... and I must say that I am quite surprised at your failure to even research the matter properly before bringing this 'debate'.

:>No it doesn't.

Yes, it does.

:>Yours does.

No, it doesn't.

But, as always... I got NUTHIN' but love for 'ya! You KNOW this is truth.

Peace!

Your servant and friend, still... and a slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit