The "Tree" of WHAT?

by Farkel 103 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Farkel, AGuest. Rocketman, etc.

Love these old names coming back on board..

S4

• toreador
    toreador

Thats quite a story.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Sorry Farkel, but AGuest's rantings sometimes need a tonic.

I am a father. I want my child to know enough about good to make the right decision. Example. (Insert any good example you like.)

I am a father. I want my child to know enough about bad to make the right decision. Example. Listen carefully chickpea, you must never, ever go with or get in a car with a stranger, because they will do something bad to you.

Now, supposing my chickpea gets in a car with a stranger (i.e. does bad), what do you think my reaction should be? I abandon you to the evil, oh and all your offspring to time indefinite? No, only J Hoover would do something so despicable. I would go after them and get my baby back! With extra hugs and kisses!

(Excellent post Farkel btw)

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Well, I only just noticed this thread is 7 years old!! My o my!

Anyway, whilst we are on the subject... how the fuck did J Hoover, supposedly "good", know all about evil, eh? I mean, how did the "knowledge of good AND evil" get into the tree if Hoover didn't put it there, hmm? Maybe Hoover put in the good bit and satan put in the bad bit? But as Hoover was lying about the tree of life, and the serpent told the truth what does that tell us about the original meaning of the words good and bad. Maybe we have it all the wrong way round!

• parakeet
    parakeet

A golden oldie from Farkel, printed and filed in my "Every Christian Should Read This" folder.

For me, the creation story reads like this: A self-professed loving father places a teddy bear between the yellow lines on the Long Island Expressway, nearly getting run over several times before making it back to the side of the road.

Then the father brings his 2-year-old toddler, whom he claims to love very much, to the side of the highway and shows him the teddy bear sitting between the yellow lines The toddler knows nothing (how can he?) about the evils of strolling on the Long Island Expressway during rush hour. But he does like teddy bears. The father tells the child that he must not, on any account, try to get the bear, however adorable, because he will die if he does (as if the child could understand the idea of death). Then the father walks away to tend to other, presumably more important business.

What do you think that toddler, as innocent as Adam and Eve were of the concept of good and evil, and of life and death, is likely to do?

Hint: the story does not have a happy ending. And the real kicker is that Dad blames the kid.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

FARKEL...........Thought I'd ressurect this for you as I thouroughly enjoyed it. I'm sorry I wasn't here when you first posted it. Enjoy once again, everyone!

NMG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

glad it was resurrected - it is a beaut

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Wow! Great thread, esp for Farkel's comment here

The only reason I'm commenting about this is that, in re-reading it, it is the poster child of what is known as "a massive thread hijacking." ("Massive Thread Hijackings is Bible-Based(tm). For some.) First, my old and current friend AGuest hijacked it, and then a whole bunch of other people hijacked it. Most of the comments have nothing to do with my topic.

This one should go in the "Thread Hijacks Hall of Fame." Take a perfectly decent topic someone else wrote and use it to promote one's own crap.

Yup! Maybe Lee can start a hijacked thread section.... Good stuff Farkel.

Btw, my comment on the first 3 chapters of Genesis are the same as for the entire book of Revelation: A drug induced, superstitious fantasy...

• Farkel
    Farkel

bttt by request.

Be very careful. This is "spiritually DEEP!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

Note: of historical interest, note that this thread is a decade old and AGuest and I had only been friends for a year. I was still in my "spanking" mode with her, i.e. her letting her emotions/feelings overshadow logic. Or lack of it. During this period, I pointed out web sites on basic logic skills and basic logical fallacies to her and she read them.

This was before she had finished college and then went on and finished Law School. Very recently, I gave her several tough logic puzzles and she aced them! She could have never done that when this thread was made, methinks. I so think I kinda helped in her developing valuable reasoning skills. Or maybe I just pissed her off. I don't know!

Of course, our friendship and brotherly/sisterly love has flourished in the intervening decade and her current posts are light years different than what they were when this thread was created.

She would have remained my friend either way, but at least in a little way, I think I contributed for the better in her life. She now has over 300 people working for her, but won't give me a job! (I don't have the requisite education.) Oh, the irony!

Heh, heh.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit