Will #metoo have an affect on forcing changing attitudes at Watchtower?

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Their is nothing new under the sun.King David lusted after another mans wife effectively had him killed then bedded the widow. { It`s good being the King}

Nothing has changed and probably never will me-too or no me-too

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Simon

The point was when I was a girl 60s/70s you couldn't report it as no one would listen. If you did you were told you were making a fuss, it was only a laugh, what was wrong with you?

At least now, hopefully, women will be listened to and taken seriously.

As for WT -- nothing will change there and to be honest, I did know sisters who delighted in being treated like second class citizens.

I knew one sister who wanted to buy her daughter a small gift when she had a baby and she quite happily said she'd have to get her husband's permission first. Another one, who was very well off in her own right, told me she wanted to buy a tablet for the meetings and 'was in talks with her husband' and when I said, just buy it! She said, 'oh no, we always discuss things first and he has the final say in everything' If he said no, she wouldn't be getting one.

I think they kind of liked to say to other sisters: 'oh look how submissive I am, aren't I just wonderful to be so much in subjection to my husband'

I'm sorry if I sound a rebel but if I wanted to buy my child a small gift - and we could afford it - no way would I go and seek 'permission' from my husband!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I'm sorry if I sound a rebel but if I wanted to buy my child a small gift - and we could afford it - no way would I go and seek 'permission' from my husband!

Dont apologise for being an independent woman Phoebe. I agree one hundred percent with your post. Women have been sexually abused for thousands of years and just lately they've got a bit pissed off with it.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Phoebe I know exactly what you mean. I've met some puke making sisters who just seemed to glory in how submissive they were to anything with a penis! Often they put on this cutie pie little girl voice too and would do this simpering eye batting routine. Needless to say they were held up as examples to the other sisters in the cong. And of course the brothers adored them!

Personally they made me cringe!

• Simon
    Simon
    The point was when I was a girl 60s/70s you couldn't report it as no one would listen. If you did you were told you were making a fuss, it was only a laugh, what was wrong with you?
    At least now, hopefully, women will be listened to and taken seriously.

The laws have always been the laws and people have been prosecuted under them. That can only happen if things are reported though. Sorry, but I find complaints about nothing happening by people who didn't report things a little weak.

As for women being listened to and taken seriously. When has that not happened? I hope you're not suggesting that their claims should be 100% believed just 'because'. There should be due process - as in, the law followed, as it always has been.

I knew one sister who wanted to buy her daughter a small gift when she had a baby and she quite happily said she'd have to get her husband's permission first. Another one, who was very well off in her own right, told me she wanted to buy a tablet for the meetings and 'was in talks with her husband' and when I said, just buy it! She said, 'oh no, we always discuss things first and he has the final say in everything' If he said no, she wouldn't be getting one.

And I would say that I need to ask my wife's permission first if I was thinking of buying an iPad ... does that mean I'm under her thumb? Or just that it's a partnership and people should discuss major purchases.

People looking for dragons will see dragons, but it doesn't mean they exist.

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and explain how this is all "white male patriarchy" stuff when for most families, the first one who gets involved with the WTS is the wife and the husband just goes along with it because they are exactly the opposite of that.

• zophar
    zophar
    The laws have always been the laws.

Anita Hill didn't fare so well when she reported, and she was appearing before the law makers. One could say it was "he said, she said" but the setting was pretty much one woman before a room full of men. Hum, sort of like a JW molestation judicial hearing. No women need apply!

• freddo
    freddo

As a white mid fifties male whose first parent into the WT mess was his mother - and whose father meekly followed - I see Simon's point - especially now - about going along with their jw'ism.

But overwhelmingly I support Pheobe's comments about unwanted male attention in the 60's through 80's.

This was the age of Benny Hill - the fat little comedian chasing gorgeous girls around on Saturday night TV and everyone rolling about laughing.

Of "Carry on" films where Barbara Windsor was paraded as Sid James and co's lust object.

Of "On the Buses" with Reg Varney and the toothy one trying unsuccessfully to bed everything half their age in a skirt.

Squeezing a tit was a joke that might get a slap round the face - end of. But if the girl was shocked and succumbed to more - well lucky old you eh? Nudge nudge wink wink!

It sickens me to admit it but that was often the way with men who had gone through WW2 and so what's a bit of slap and tickle girlie? No ones dropping bombs on you anymore.

And laugh we did. And personally I wouldn't have dreamed of translating that into real life - maybe my jw upbringing played a part?

However my wife regularly received unwanted comments and male attention from strangers in the 1970's through 90's - in her early married years she had a particularly "leering" boss who would make suggestive comments and ask her out on "business" dates. I even phoned him up as a younger man and had a quiet word explaining that if it didn't stop I'd be round there to "chat face to face."

My wife didn't want to lose her job - fortunately in this circumstance our livelihood didn't immediately depend upon it. Had it done she may have endured further and I kept silent.

And if a young woman suffered "date rape" as against "stranger rape" - well - the old desk sergeant might think she was leading him on.

And even their own families would sometimes shut down their daughters cry for help from the family molestor so as not to bring shame on the family.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    AmicablI could go on and on but that's enough! I don't get this latest "feminism" thing. There are much more serious problems in life.

Firstly, I would seriously hope your female doctor is not referring to rape victims as "loosers". Just because a woman is a woman and has a reasonably good job doesn't make her more sensitive to the issue.Your daughter may be right - that some of it is Marxist driven - but I doubt she fully understands Marxism since she seems to be using it as a pejorative

This is about women tolerating rape as "something that happens to you". Its time that ended.

Its happened to me, it's happened to many women I know. I was only 17. We have to teach young girls Its not acceptable.

JWfacts
    I hope it may reach some women within the org who may have been victims, or their families.

I fear the org itself will largely bury it's head in the sand, trotting out the usual guff and insisting such things don't happen in " spiritual paradise".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit