Will #metoo have an affect on forcing changing attitudes at Watchtower?

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, good point Jwfacts.

Those women who do find the Jw and biblical misogyny to be outdated and unacceptable, will leave the Society.

Those that stay under such an oppressive and abusive yoke are either incapable of seeing such behaviour as wrong, or have been so conditioned into thinking it is "normal".

• amicabl
    amicabl

What is it with this latest wave of "feminism"?

My eldest daughter of forty one is a libertarian, a lawyer and refers to them as Marxists.

My female doctor who I have known for over thirty years has no time for losers who don't make an effort in life.

We have had equal pay for equal work in Australia since the seventies.

I have seen less women who were browbeaten in JW Congs than in general society, the biggest problem seems to be lack of men - real men that is.

I have known my still in wife for almost fifty years since she was 16, we have been married for more than 46 years. Plenty of fights but still very much together.

I could go on and on but that's enough! I don't get this latest "feminism" thing. There are much more serious problems in life.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Naaa ... the WTS leaders are all men who have been indoctrinated to be misogynists and chauvinistic ........ its in the bible you know.

Woman are second class people, just maybe a notch above children in the WTS organization and the men who run the WTS/JWS are intent in keeping it that way.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Are Watchtower followers going to find these discussions compelling enough to recognise that Watchtower sexism is unacceptable? - I seriously doubt it, Jwfacts (Paul?).

JWs are more likely to see #MeToo as a worldly issue, a reaction to worldly discrimination that can only be put right under God's Kingdom.

The Org will definitely frame it as a worldly issue that can only be sorted out after Armageddon.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The religion still teaches that women should be submissive, they are light years from any type me too movement.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The farther you get away fron the cult it becomes more and more difficult to remember whats its like.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Angus Stewart was trying to reason with elders and GB in the ARC that a woman should be present when another woman or even a female child gives evidence of sexual abuse at a JC.

It was like hitting his head against a brick wall and yet it was such an obvious change to ask for and easily rectified. Which indicates how far this organization has to go to drag itself into the twenty-first century.

• Simon
    Simon

To be honest, I don't think this #metoo movement will change anything in Hollywood even. They already seem to be morphing things to be about "equal pay" instead because, y'know, nothing screams "oppression" like millionaire celebrities at an award show complaining that someone else got more than they did.

The current "feminist" movement is devoid of thinkers and lacks real principles. It's all hot-air and PR and has trouble even deciding what the issues are it's supposedly about. Because of this, it will fade - there isn't a real underlying 'cause for it.

Whatever happened to the pussy march? What changed? Are people disillusioned yet or are they still on that train? At some point people will get tired riding a train to nowhere and want to get off.

• amicabl
    amicabl

The MeToo campaign is only just gathering momentum. Tonight a prominent actor in Aus was blasted on national tv for half an hour by three actresses who worked with him in 2014 on a stage production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They claimed inappropriate sexual behaviour during performances.

All of the offences that were alleged to have been committed are already covered under criminal law. There was no mention of complaints to police or police involvement of any kind.

I realise that this sort of behaviour does occur and probably always has and is not going to change. Certain people need to accept that there are men who will seek to take advantage of women in vulnerable positions and that the only remedy is prosecution in a court of law.

Possibly ruining a person's career by indulging in trial by media is not acceptable, and using the excuse that they did not want to affect their careers is also not acceptable. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet.

• Simon
    Simon
    I realise that this sort of behaviour does occur and probably always has and is not going to change. Certain people need to accept that there are men who will seek to take advantage of women in vulnerable positions and that the only remedy is prosecution in a court of law.

And the side you are forgetting is that there are women who will seek to take advantage of their sexuality to get ahead.

Possibly ruining a person's career by indulging in trial by media is not acceptable, and using the excuse that they did not want to affect their careers is also not acceptable.

How many didn't come forward because of the flip-side - they effectively benefitted their career thus doing double harm to someone else - they missed out on a role and might then be subjected to the same expectations.

I don't think the situation in Hollywood is normal or representative of society at large. I have much more sympathy with someone working minimum wage who really needs the job and who's situation is taken advantage of by a manager vs someone who wants to be in a movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit